Concealed Carry

I carry a Stainless Walther PPK in 380, with crimson trace laser grips, I like a visible hammer. The LEO's that I work with keep telling me I need to be carrying a 40 cal.

I carry a Stainless Walther PPK in 380, with crimson trace laser grips, I like a visible hammer. The LEO's that I work with keep telling me I need to be carrying a 40 cal.
they are wrong,you are right.

I have several Glocks in 9mm, 40 cal, and 10mm and I love them but they are not what I consider to be true concealed type handguns. Sure, they have more power and can be somewhat concealed but I can carry my 38's very comfortably all day every day without you ever knowing that I have them and with Hornady's Critical Defense ammo a 38 special is nothing I'd ever want to be shot with...

I understand your LEO coworker's point, to a point. You are correct in carrying what you are comfortable with in my opinion.

I usually conceal carry my snub 44mag in the front pocket unless Im wearing a jacking then its in my jacket pocket I use a baby browning 25acp as a backup or if im wearing hot summer clothing aka shorts as it fits perfect into a shirt pocket. When Im not carrying my 44 I carry an EAA 10mm or FiveseveN and i carry them inside the waistband. I have also carried my fullsize 500S&W in the winter with a under the shoulder holster. It all depends on your size and what you wear.

GLOCK 19 - 9mm

Mekaniks: Maybe just open carry the big S&W 500 of yours on hog leg holster.

Like Marty Robbins use to sing, "Big Iron on his hip". Just look out for the Arizona Ranger with a big iron on his hip too. :)

upload_2015-12-26_12-9-37.png

I carry an HK45C, which I believe to be a tack driver! I use the Raven Concealment holster which hides the gun well enough to carry to work even. It is .45 act, has a 8 or 10 round magazine, and is currently used by the Navy Seals. The reason I throw that did bit of info in this, is so you will look up the SOCOM test that this gun had to endure! It is absolutely bullet proof! The HK45C also has a recoil reduction system that keeps the muzzle on target for fast follow up shots. Great iron I never leave home without.View attachment 53205
I like the Idea of a 45acp for carry the problem is finding one small enough to carry but big enough and light enough to carry a few rounds. It looks like the HK would be something to look into

I like the Idea of a 45acp for carry the problem is finding one small enough to carry but big enough and light enough to carry a few rounds. It looks like the HK would be something to look into
have a look at the sig c3 7+1 ...but i just love the 1911 . sig c3 and carry scorpion my favourites. a friend has the remington 1911 commander size and loves it .

I Have a S&W 1911 and just love shooting it but unless I'm trying to make the ultimate bad ass statement it's to big to carry and being a single action I'd have to carry it cocked and locked

My current edc is a Springfield XDs 9mm. I also regularly carry a Ruger SP101 2.25" barrel in .357 magnum. It is a great revolver and incredibly solid. I highly recommend it.

Some of my other favorite carry guns are my Sig Sauger P239 in .357 sig, Taurus Judge Public Defender in .410, and my Colt Cobra which belonged to my grandfather.

Based on price I may even look at Nasty Looking Glock compact 45acp, not as many features as the HK but half the price,

Springfield EMP 9mm. Sweet trigger, very accurate for short barrel.

If I make the switch I want to go to a 45acp.

Hi Chuck / Mekaniks,

Excellent question, definitely equal to; "What is the best deer rifle"? ... (or buffalo rifle, and so forth).
Thanks for posting it.

Yours Truly began carrying a revolver at age 16 after an armed robbery in the all-night restaurant that I was cooking in (Sacramento, California - whata sheethole).
Seems comical now but it was Ruger single action in .22 magnum (only handgun I owned at the time.)
At 17, in said greasy spoon restaurant, I faced down a robber who foolishly threatened to cut my eyes out and jam my face into the hot grease of our deep fryer, if I didn't open the cash register.
I'd be lying if I said I was not scared but, I was also furious that some disgusting dope addict/bully would dare to threaten me so, I stood my ground and he ultimately walked out empty handed.
My parents would've revoked my weapon (probably my deer rifle, shotgun and duck decoys, as well as my fishing tackle for that matter) if they had found out but, they never did and I became a folk hero among my peers at that point.

And without yet knowing it, I had sealed my own fate to become a career Police Officer a few years later.
Well anyway, my point is that the above incident caused me to think much about handguns for defense.
By now, I have tried many things in the "concealed weapon" category and so I figured I would toss in my two pennies worth, take it or leave it.
Shortly after the robber reminded me how fast things can get ugly, I was turning 18 and so my father figured my request to get a ".45" was reasonable.
I gave him the money and he bought for me my fist 1911, a brand new "Colt MK IV Series 70" (5" barrel) for the huge sum of $124.95 (those were the days).
Little did he know I was carrying it at work, tucked into my waist band, under my grill apron (as I had formerly been doing with the .22 Magnum).
No robbers showed up and I left that job to take a job welding, until age 22 when I became a Police Officer.

As a cop beginning in the mod 1970's, I was forced to carry a revolver on duty and so I became extremely familiar with same but generally carried my 1911 off duty.
However, in California it gets hot sometimes and concealing a .45 while wearing short pants, sandals and a T-Shirt is not easy.
So, I bought a S&W "Chief's Special", 5 shot .38, 2 inch barrel, Model 36.
Would have rather had the 3" version but could not find one for sale during those years.
Eventually I sold the Model 36 because it had an exposed hammer which sometimes snagged when drawing it from my pocket.
And I replaced it with another little S&W "J-Frame" .38 Special 5 shot, 2 inch barrel but it is "hammerless" (Model 340PD Titanium).
It is very light to carry and surprisingly accurate with Federal 147 +P+ grainers.
I also liked the 3 inch Model 19 (6 shot .357 magnum) but not many were made compared to their 2.5 inch barrel Model 19 and so like the Chief's Special, I eventually ended up with the 2.5 inch version.
The Model 19 was not much easier to conceal than the 1911 but a decent self defense handgun nonetheless.

I also went through a ".380 Phase" (Colt, Walther and Beretta) but I got over it.
Personally, after reviewing hundreds of shooting incidents from all over the world, involving cops & robbers, I firmly believe the .380 is a more effective self defense cartridge than some "Gun Experts" say it is but, I do agree with them that there are better cartridges out there for self defense, especially here in Alaska where people tend to wear very thick clothing well over half of the year.
Likewise, I went through a 9mm phase (Browning P35, aka "High Power") but, I got over that as well, still have it but don't carry any more.
The 9mm is another under rated defense cartridge IMO but again, I do agree with the "Experts" that there are better cartridges for the job.

Lately, since all these International Lunatics are hearing voices from Heaven, telling them to kill non-believers, I have gone back to carrying a full size auto pistol and two spare magazines.
Damn if I will die from lack of shootin' back.

However at the end of the day, since you want a small handgun for self defense, I highly recommend the S&W Model 340PD in .38 Special.
It fits into the front pocket of Carhart jeans or khaki pants and does not show.
I liked the HKS brand "speed loaders" to fit same, reliable, fast, sturdy and cheap.
They make this revolver in .357 as well I believe but, so uncomfortable to practice with as such that, I'd not bother with the magnum version.

Cheers,
Paul / Velo Dogazoid.

Lately, since all these International Lunatics are hearing voices from Heaven, telling them to kill non-believers, I have gone back to carrying a full size auto pistol and two spare magazines.
Damn if I will die from lack of shootin' back.
Damn Paul;
You make me want to carry my full size Springfield XDM 9 with 19 in the mag and one up the pipe!

You all know right after that movie theatre shooting some time back, a good Samaritan caught a glimpse of a gun on a guy and reported to management... When they turned up the lights and asked the gentleman with the gun to stand up, 5 guys stood up! Makes me feel safer knowing I've likely got backup if something goes down...

how does everybody think the open carry in texas is going to go???

Damn Paul;
You make me want to carry my full size Springfield XDM 9 with 19 in the mag and one up the pipe!

The most dangerous animal in the World walks upright on it's hind legs and is able to solve complex problems, sometimes faster than we can create them for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.