compressed .375 H&H loads

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by matt85, Feb 9, 2014.

1. matt85

matt85 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    WA, USA
    I come from a background of loading BP cartridges so compressing a load is nothing new to me. however from my understanding heavily compressing smokeless can lead to major pressure spikes. on that note, my Hornady manual says the max load for a 300gr bullet using W760 is 78 grains but with the 300gr BTSP that is some pretty serious compression. so far ive tried up to 75 grains of W760 which is a compressed load and i didn't notice and pressure signs. im unsure if i should try going for max due to compression but id like to get these puppies to 2500 fps for long range work and according to the manual this should be possible with 78 grains.

what are you thoughts on this? also general thoughts on compressed loads with African magnums?

thanks
    -matt

2. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    No worries with the compressed loads. I would think that 78grs of 760 should give you your 2500fps. I use about 81grs of IMR4831 which is somewhat slower powder and get over 2500. Being that 760 settles so well, I am surprised its so compressed with that amount. I never used 760 until recently and have found it to be a very useful powder, especially for near max loads without compression. My load was heavily compressed as extruded powders fill the case much more.

Just for kicks I just tried a load like yours. Using a fired empty primed Rem .375 case I dumped 78gr of 760 in and tapped it down some. Placed your bullet on top and it slid down to almost the cannelure before touching the powder and could be easily compressed with finger pressure. That is nothing to be concerned about. If you don't have a chronograph, now is the time.

3. matt85

matt85 BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    WA, USA
    I went ahead and loaded up some cartridges at 74, 75, 76, 77, and 78 grains (6 of each) using neck sized brass. at 75 you hear a slight crunch and at 78 you know you crushing some powder but I think it will be fine. the compression wasn't as much as I though it would be probably because the brass is neck sized instead of full length sized.

I can tell this powder wont work with my Barnes 300gr bullets, those suckers are way too long.

-matt