Reaction score
Website
shootfishhunt.com.au
Media
Member of
SCI, IPSC, Big Game Rifle Club, SSAA
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe and South Africa
A couple of years ago, a community-based hunting scheme was introduced into Burkina Faso, which utilised the Dozo hunters as guides/hosts.

Does anyone know if this scheme is still running?

I think that this would be a fabulous adventure but when I have tried to find information on it, I can only find old references and no new information or contact details.

Any information would be excellent and thankyou, in advance.

Last edited:
Bwanabob,

I have personally not heard of this community-based hunting scheme in Burkina Faso that utilized the Dozo hunters as guides/hosts. Would you please share with us any new or old information that you have on this.

Here is an introduction to: Chasse Libre en Afrique / Self Guided Hunt in Africa

Here is a couple of organizations in France that you may want to contact as they may be able to provide you with either information or a good person to get in touch with...

Association of Bid Game Professional Hunters (AGGC - Association des Guides de Grande Chasse)
Many professional hunters in the former French colonies in Africa are French nationals and members of the Association des Guides de Grande Chasse.
www.aggc.fr

Association of Professional Hunters in France (ACP - Association des Chasseurs Professionnels)
Many professional hunters in the former French colonies in Africa are French nationals and members of the Association des Chasseurs Professionnels.
www.guideacp.com

Hunting in Burkina is regulated by the "Ministere de l'Environnement et du Cadre de Vie" (Burkina Faso Ministry Of Environment & Life), www.environnement.gov.bf and information can be obtained from them, more precisely from the "Direction des Parcs Nationaux, des Reserves de Faunes et des Chasses". They can be reached by telephone in Burkina Faso at the following telephone number in Ouagadougou: (+226) 35.69.71 and ask to be provided with the contact information of the "Comites Villageois de Gestion de la Faune" as they manage the villagers hunting areas where you can be hunting as a "Touristes" in A "zone villageoise de chasse".

More info to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guide d'Informations Pratiques pour la Saison de Chasse et Touristique

Attached is a pdf file called "burkina-faso-guide-chasse.pdf" where you will find lots of information and regulations pertaining to hunting in Burkina Faso within a community-based hunting set up. This document from the "Ministere de l'Environnement et du Cadre de Vie" (Burkina Faso Ministry Of Environment & Life) is entitled "Guide d'Informations Pratiques pour la Saison de Chasse et Touristique" (Practical Information Guide for the Hunting Season and Tourism). The document dates from 2002-2003 but is still valid from the information that I gathered...

Attachments

• burkina-faso-guide-chasse.pdf
    341.7 KB · Views: 1,274
Attached is a pdf file called "bf-nr-04-fr.pdf", a report from July 2010 where some interesting information can be found on the subject...

Attachments

• bf-nr-04-fr.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 339
Zones Villageoise d'Interet Cynegetique (ZOVIC)

Also in Burkina Faso, the village zones of hunting interest (Zones Villageoise d'Interet Cynegetique (ZOVIC) or Comites Villageois de Gestion de la Faune (CVGF)) are managed by local organizations or villagers' groups. They are entitled to enter into contracts with hunting professionals, for instance hunting guides. Royalties or fees collected are then shared between the government and local organizations.

Attached, a pdf file from a 2006 hunt report from Burkina Faso on the "Zones Villageoise d'Interet Cynegetique" (ZOVIC).

Attachments

• Burkina-faso-hunt-report-2006.pdf
    999.7 KB · Views: 342
More on hunting in Burkina... Attached a pdf file called "burkina-faso-code-forestier.pdf".

Attachments

• burkina-faso-code-forestier.pdf
    199.1 KB · Views: 241
I found this same reference in an article first published in an issue of African Outfitter. Last I heard A French Outfitter was sharing the same area as the Chase Libre was being conducted on.

Attachments

• Comoe-Leraba.pdf
    142.7 KB · Views: 232
I can't recal where I first heard about the community based hunting in Burkina Faso, but I do have a photocopy of the information, somewhere, and will try and find it and post it. The most recent information that I have been able to find, on this hunt, can be found at this link: Self-guided hunting in Burkina Faso

Any Oufitters here in AH offering hunting in Burkina Faso?

You will find a list of Burkina Faso hunting outfitters in the directory by clicking here.

Thank you Jerome,

I had a look on it but I would like to know if any of them are AH members.

nsok, I would suggest contacting AH member Christophe Morio who has guided professionally and hunted in Burkina Faso... I am sure that he will have some insight for you... Click here for Christophe's contact information.

Perhaps Christophe may want to chime in here as well!

I think it would be quite an experience to be guided by "native", indigenous peoples in BF or elsewhere in Africa...not that I want to see the White Bwanas put out of business, either! Friends who hunted with Inuit guides for muskox said the experience was all the richer for hunting/lodging with true "locals"...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg