College Student Looking For Passionate Hunter

Maybe more pictures of hunters delivering meat and school supplies would help. I've seen a ton of them here. People just hear someone say trophy hunting they think waste and killing for no apparent reason. So untrue. Thanks for looking at evidence and making your Own decision.

@Katie , here are a few pics of meat going to local hospital, 42 locals from village coming to smoke meat for families.
IMG-20140930-00979.jpg

IMG-20140930-00981.jpg

IMG_0891.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Katie,

Another resource for you to provide a hunting perspective as it relates to conservation is John Jackson's Conservation Force:

https://www.conservationforce.org/index.html

You will find a plethora of articles as it relates to hunting and conservation at this website. His organization has also posted many articles on this forum under the Articles section. They are great reads.

I don't know John personally, and have never met him, but I know his reputation to be impeccable. He represents the hunter/conservationist side of the equation very well. He might be another resource to contact, although I'm sure he is very busy. That would be a great interview I'm sure as he has forgotten more about conservation related causes and issues than I could hope to ever learn.

Anyway, just a thought........

Thank you Sandman0291,

This is a great resource. Conservation Force has an impressive resume and a useful section for my goal called "why we hunt". This is interesting, I am looking at this research from a perspective of empathy. Although, I cannot be totally unbiased, I can respect it and accept it. Things are not black and white

Maybe more pictures of hunters delivering meat and school supplies would help. I've seen a ton of them here. People just hear someone say trophy hunting they think waste and killing for no apparent reason. So untrue. Thanks for looking at evidence and making your Own decision.
After learning that trophy hunting requires meat to be given to the locals, I can see the ignorance in the view that trophy hunting is a waste. Images taken out of context i suppose

Great pictures. The meat does not have to be refrigerated?

A first world question!

That is what the smoking is for Katie. Preservation.

Reality check. Do you see any power lines? Hell, South Africa has load shedding. Look that one up for entertainment. The power company shuts off the power (ALL POWER) to everyone on a schedule.
IMG_9136.jpg

No washing machines either! This is local washing day in Mozambique outside Lachinga.
IMG_9170.jpg

As an aside: Have you heard the one about the blond going camping in the woods and looking for the "current bush" to plug in her hair dryer?

Great pictures. The meat does not have to be refrigerated?
Katie that would be a typical response from us in the West. There is no refrigeration, lots of salt and smoke. Very typical to cut the meat into strips, soak in a brine solution and hang to dry in the sun. Been done this way for a long time, millennia perhaps? What I saw was hang it for two days in very hot dry conditions, I actually saw no flies on it, for one thing, it was to darn hot for flies, and I think the brine solution might keep them off as well... The stuff that is not preserved this way brings new meaning to "Cook Thoroughly"! After the meat was dried, they cut it into small pieces, like 3" long, and I believe they reconstituted it into their corn mush. I suppose we should not judge, they are craving the protein and seem to value the meat more than money.

Katie;
See below the village clothes dryer, when it rains for three days, it becomes wash and dry! And the hot water heater in a hunting camp, the villages probably don't have anything this high tech.

AfricaZimbabwe 1675.JPG
AfricaZimbabwe 1695.JPG

Katie,

I am a professor who actually teaches people how to teach science, so I am going to respond as a teacher. Here is a screenshot from Google Earth that is from the Eastern Cape in South Africa. Please look at the first image and see if you can identify boundaries for two distinct land uses. Focus on the upper right of the image as there hopefully is an obvious transition that has an obelisk-like shape.
Katie,

What a great response, thank you. I very much enjoyed this information and I am glad you enjoyed responding. The stark contrast in the landscape based on hunting vs. agriculture is powerful. As powerful as the pictures of game animals.

Would you consider hunting in Africa to be free market environmentalism? One of my favorite courses in my university, was "environmental philosophy". Going in I thought it would be idealistic but instead it was about pragmatism and making comprimise to reach a common goal, and being family and community oriented which is opposite to the individualistic culture that seems to be common in America. Anyway...I digress

Its very interesting to learn that the landowners that allow land for hunting, also still have livestock. Great diversity. Does this location have predators that could also feed on their livestock? If so, does hunting keep the predators away from the livestock?

Thank you again Scott

Katie we supply about 10 000 pounds of meat to the local communities a season, this meat comes directly from "TROPHY" hunting. To most people in the area, this is the only protein they will have for the year, there are tetsi flies in the area so not cattle as they die from the flies. This year they will be lucky if they get 1000 pounds of meat, because of outside pressure they have not issued the North of Mozambique with elephant quota. By stopping legal hunting, it will not help the combating of poachers, in fact will increase poaching.

@Katie, maybe I should have explained the racks of meat, they build fires under them and light fire, put green leaves and smoke it. No fridges

Katie we supply about 10 000 pounds of meat to the local communities a season, this meat comes directly from "TROPHY" hunting. To most people in the area, this is the only protein they will have for the year, there are tetsi flies in the area so not cattle as they die from the flies. This year they will be lucky if they get 1000 pounds of meat, because of outside pressure they have not issued the North of Mozambique with elephant quota. By stopping legal hunting, it will not help the combating of poachers, in fact will increase poaching.

Adding additional perspective.

At 8 oz a serving (which is probably too big) that's 20,000 meals, reduced to 2,000 meals. think that would make the news here in the States? If all food shelters in a major city had their resources/domations cut by 90%?

Feeding an entire village(s) for a month vs. just a few days. Something else to think about.

yeah katie any part of the animal that is edible is eaten, dried meat is better than money in most places.

Another great point. We think of tripe as a delicacy or something to be thrown out, they think of tripe as just more food.

Although, I cannot be totally unbiased, I can respect it and accept it. Things are not black and white

Katie,

I'm glad you liked the videos. I think they do a great job of summarizing a very complex issue in a precise manner. That's why I included them.

In regards to your above quoted statement. It's OK to be biased. We all are, and I don't think any hunter on here will fault you for being biased. It's hard to be completely altruistic in your objectivity when dealing with such a complex, and oftentimes emotional subject.

I am certainly not the spokesperson for this forum by any stretch of the imagination, and don't pretend to be. There are so many more on here that have much more experience when it comes to African hunting, and hunting in general. However, I think it's safe to say that no one on here is trying to force their love of hunting on anyone, or trying to convince someone they have to be "pro-hunting". In my case, my father was a quail hunter, but never really cared for big game hunting. My brother has never hunted, and was a vegetarian until he was in his late teens. As far as my children who knows. My youngest will definitely be a hunter, but my oldest, I'm not so sure. However, it will never be forced upon them. I carry them with me if they want to go, and I encourage them to spend time with me outdoors doing both hunting, and non-hunting activities, but beyond that, they will be allowed to make up their own minds. It's hard to say how I ever really became a "big game" hunter. Had it not been for a close personal friend of my father who was there to show me the ropes as far as whitetail hunting is concerned when I was 10 years old, I likely may have never tried it. However, after the first time hunting whitetail, the innate desire inside of me was sparked, and I have been a hunter ever since.

I think what most hunters hope, and it certainly seems as though this has become the case with you, is that non-hunters can gain a different perspective on hunting, and hunters, that is currently so lacking in the mainstream and social media environments. You don't have to understand hunting. You don't have to like hunting, or hunters. We don't ask you to. But what we ask is that you take an objective look, as best as possible, at what hunting does for animals and species as a whole. It is so much more than just killing for the thrill of it, and then slapping a head on the wall to boost an ego. Like I've said before, if it was the thrill of killing animals that "got us off", I'm sure we could find voluntary employment at any of the vast number of slaughter houses around the world that feed the human need for meat. I'm sure those factories would love to have free labor from the pool of the 30+ million hunters nationwide to slaughter all of those cows, pigs, chickens, etc.

No it's not all about the killing. But you have to kill to have hunted, and it's part of it. As so many have explained, there are a myriad of reasons why we do it. But there are also many benefits to the practice as well. Not the least of which is providing vast sums of money, and effort to support the conservation of those few remaining wild places and animals that are left on this planet today. The hunting industry has warts no doubt, and there are a lot of things within it that I'd just assume see go, and that I don't support. There are certainly some slobs out there that give all true sportsmen and women bad names. But what I hope you can see is that you can't throw the baby out with the bath water. Without North American leaders and hunters who stepped up over a hundred years ago, and said we have to change things to conserve what we have left, the iconic North American animals such as the Whitetail Deer, Rocky Mountain Elk, North American Wild Sheep, no to mention the vast sundry of waterfowl and all of the habitat these species inhabited, would have gone the way of the Passenger Pigeon (look it up). It is true that in select instances, hunters and the hunting industry, have done themselves very little favors in the way they portray themselves in the public eye, but overall, I will argue until I've taken my last breath, that there has been no greater force for good when it comes to conservation of animal species and habitat preservation. Africa is on the forefront of this fight today, just as North America was over 100 years ago when Teddy Roosevelt was president of the USA.

As I said before, most hunters and hunting organizations would be more than happy to work with Eco-tourism industries, and preservation groups to find common ground in order to come up with sound, scientifically based management strategies to deal with the problems that human overpopulation has brought to the Dark Continent and it's great and beautiful animals. These animals there are literally being run out of house and home. They have no where to go, and their being crammed into smaller and smaller spaces. However, as so often the case, so many of these "so-called" animal protectionist groups have no real strategy when it comes to dealing with the true problems. All they know how to do is yell, scream, and call hunters murderers (as if that was really a concept outside of human existence and definition), as well as throw vast amounts of money (that was obtained under false pretenses) to corrupt government officials and agencies who have no real interest in solving the problems. In the end, these organizations and NGOs may be able to say, "they showed those damn evil hunters", but when they look around, they'll ultimately have to face the reality that they did nothing to stop these animals from being decimated from the African continent. That will be a very sad time indeed, and one I pray to God I don't have to witness.

Maybe someone who understands? Katie, this is what we hunters/conservationists are trying to put forth in our message to the anti hunting world. Until someone comes up with a better plan anti hunting folks must realize we are doing good work. Don't misunderstand there are plenty of hunters who don't completely understand what hunting does for the animals or its people and in some cases the region where we hunt. The dollars are needed to support wildlife , its conservation programs , poaching enforcement ( in Africa) , locals here and abroad earn income derived from hunting, schools are built in places like Africa and the list goes on and on. Take hunting away and look at the results in places like Kenya , where game numbers are down in some cases 70%. Poachers are running wild there. Botswana is also suffering now from it's short term decision to stop hunting. Hunting is a viable tool in conservation. Put this message out.....Without hunting wildlife can and will be doomed in some places around the world. That is the sad fact the anti hunting community refuses to hear. Take a look at these hunting organizations and see just how much money they spend to HELP wildlife...There budget goes to salaries and politicians. The numbers are out there go check.

Katie,

I'm glad you liked the videos. I think they do a great job of summarizing a very complex issue in a precise manner. That's why I included them.

In regards to your above quoted statement. It's OK to be biased. We all are, and I don't think any hunter on here will fault you for being biased. It's hard to be completely altruistic in your objectivity when dealing with such a complex, and oftentimes emotional subject.

I am certainly not the spokesperson for this forum by any stretch of the imagination, and don't pretend to be. There are so many more on here that have much more experience when it comes to African hunting, and hunting in general. However, I think it's safe to say that no one on here is trying to force their love of hunting on anyone, or trying to convince someone they have to be "pro-hunting". In my case, my father was a quail hunter, but never really cared for big game hunting. My brother has never hunted, and was a vegetarian until he was in his late teens. As far as my children who knows. My youngest will definitely be a hunter, but my oldest, I'm not so sure. However, it will never be forced upon them. I carry them with me if they want to go, and I encourage them to spend time with me outdoors doing both hunting, and non-hunting activities, but beyond that, they will be allowed to make up their own minds. It's hard to say how I ever really became a "big game" hunter. Had it not been for a close personal friend of my father who was there to show me the ropes as far as whitetail hunting is concerned when I was 10 years old, I likely may have never tried it. However, after the first time hunting whitetail, the innate desire inside of me was sparked, and I have been a hunter ever since.

I think what most hunters hope, and it certainly seems as though this has become the case with you, is that non-hunters can gain a different perspective on hunting, and hunters, that is currently so lacking in the mainstream and social media environments. You don't have to understand hunting. You don't have to like hunting, or hunters. We don't ask you to. But what we ask is that you take an objective look, as best as possible, at what hunting does for animals and species as a whole. It is so much more than just killing for the thrill of it, and then slapping a head on the wall to boost an ego. Like I've said before, if it was the thrill of killing animals that "got us off", I'm sure we could find voluntary employment at any of the vast number of slaughter houses around the world that feed the human need for meat. I'm sure those factories would love to have free labor from the pool of the 30+ million hunters nationwide to slaughter all of those cows, pigs, chickens, etc.

No it's not all about the killing. But you have to kill to have hunted, and it's part of it. As so many have explained, there are a myriad of reasons why we do it. But there are also many benefits to the practice as well. Not the least of which is providing vast sums of money, and effort to support the conservation of those few remaining wild places and animals that are left on this planet today. The hunting industry has warts no doubt, and there are a lot of things within it that I'd just assume see go, and that I don't support. There are certainly some slobs out there that give all true sportsmen and women bad names. But what I hope you can see is that you can't throw the baby out with the bath water. Without North American leaders and hunters who stepped up over a hundred years ago, and said we have to change things to conserve what we have left, the iconic North American animals such as the Whitetail Deer, Rocky Mountain Elk, North American Wild Sheep, no to mention the vast sundry of waterfowl and all of the habitat these species inhabited, would have gone the way of the Passenger Pigeon (look it up). It is true that in select instances, hunters and the hunting industry, have done themselves very little favors in the way they portray themselves in the public eye, but overall, I will argue until I've taken my last breath, that there has been no greater force for good when it comes to conservation of animal species and habitat preservation. Africa is on the forefront of this fight today, just as North America was over 100 years ago when Teddy Roosevelt was president of the USA.

As I said before, most hunters and hunting organizations would be more than happy to work with Eco-tourism industries, and preservation groups to find common ground in order to come up with sound, scientifically based management strategies to deal with the problems that human overpopulation has brought to the Dark Continent and it's great and beautiful animals. These animals there are literally being run out of house and home. They have no where to go, and their being crammed into smaller and smaller spaces. However, as so often the case, so many of these "so-called" animal protectionist groups have no real strategy when it comes to dealing with the true problems. All they know how to do is yell, scream, and call hunters murderers (as if that was really a concept outside of human existence and definition), as well as throw vast amounts of money (that was obtained under false pretenses) to corrupt government officials and agencies who have no real interest in solving the problems. In the end, these organizations and NGOs may be able to say, "they showed those damn evil hunters", but when they look around, they'll ultimately have to face the reality that they did nothing to stop these animals from being decimated from the African continent. That will be a very sad time indeed, and one I pray to God I don't have to witness.
Beautifully said. Well put and thought out.

Now I have the correct perspective on the word "trophy".

Lets hope you can spread the word

4. What is your relationship to the animal?

Primal. Yes, even humans are still animals. Every species has its own attributes. I respect an animal that is not easy to hunt. (You can't just walk up at all animals in all situations and kill them). If I give it no respect or value then it becomes a commodity and my own morality is compromised.

Well said. I don't want to get the wrong idea here with assumptions. I wonder if you can explain this a bit more because this answer is fascinating. Are you respecting the animal by allowing it to express its nature?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!