Cold barrel shot

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Richardoh, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Richardoh

Richardoh New Member

Member of:
    Kzn hunting and conservation, damage causing animal control, Impala shooting club
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    My Tikka 3006 has suddenly started throwing its first cold barrel shot about 3inches left and5 inches high, the next and subsequent shots are where I aim and sub moa, what could be the fault. I have tried cleaning the copper out of the barrel and that didn't help, nor did tightening the stock screws, I can"t understand what has gone wrong, this is only a recent thing, it is normally spot on. can anyone come up with any suggestions? :eek:

2. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    This could be any of the following.

Your pressure grip on the rifle. to check use a rest that hold your rifle forearm and stock in place and pull the trigger with a trigger pull. make sure your rifle is secure so it will not hit the floor. in another words no hand grip on the stock. I found the grip play a great part in accuracy as this has to be consistent. if you bench shoot just a little different hand pressure will throw your shot depending on the grip and cheek-head pressure on the stock.

Check your stock and bedding area for small bumps. a piece of paper slid down the barrel will indicate a pressure point. if your rifle was glass bedded use a small piece of paper and see if you have any marks or indents when putting your rifle together. i had a rifle with this issue. it is some times the result of the glass bedding not being finished correctly and you do not notice while looking until a thin piece of paper is placed between the bedding and rifle.

3. David K

David K AH Member

Try shooting a dirty barrell.

4. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    Along this line, when I last shoot my rifle before taking it hunting, I dont clean it other than perhaps running a dry patch thru it. No solvents. When you get to camp you have to sight in regardless, but it goes quicker and uses less ammo, if you start with a fouled bore.
    Per the OP's question: it could be myriad issues, mostly minor I suspect. James is probably onto something with the hands off approach. Another thing to try is let someone else shoot it cold and see what happens. This way you find out right off if its you. Knowing the round count on your barrel may lead to ideas.

Has this rifle been shot lots?
    Real hot loads?
    Possible throat erosion?
    Different lots of components when this started?

5. Heym 88

Heym 88 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    DSC
    Hunted:
    US
    +1 Sniper competition we always shot cold bore with dirty bores.

6. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
    I shoot 600 m competition with a Tikka .308 Varmint. Out of the box, it has always required a fouling shot. During the bush war, I also always fired a fouling shot in camp before I went out on deployment. That way I could be sure that my first cold-barrel shot would be on the money.

7. Richardoh

Richardoh New Member

Member of:
    Kzn hunting and conservation, damage causing animal control, Impala shooting club
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Thanks for the replies guys, I will try the hands off approach, that sounds like the way to go, and let someone else shoot it. It is not a dirty vs clean barrel issue, if I shoot it today and put it away without cleaning it tomorrow first shot off. If I fire a fouling shot like Docman says he does it will solve the problem, but it will also warn all the animale in the neighbour hood that we are on our way. The components are the same, nothing changed. It has shot a fair amount of rounds but most have been mild loads for punchind paper with 155gr palmer match bullets. Thanks for the ideas, will work on them.
    Cheers
    Richard