Member of
AfricaHunting.com
Hunted
Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
Clouded Leopard
(Neofelis nebulosa)

watermark.php

Clouded Leopard (Neofelis nebulosa)

The clouded leopard is sufficiently distinct from other members of the Felidae family, due mainly to the unique shape of its skull, to be placed in a separate genus - Neofelis. Outwardly the cat is immediately recognizable by its distinctive coat patterning.

watermark.php

Clouded Leopard skull

Zoological Name
Neofelis nebulosa

Physical Appearance
The wondrously patterned markings of the clouded leopard give this felid an wizardly ability to traverse its forest environment in an almost ghostlike fashion. Chinese culture describes the coat pattern as resembling mint leaves, resulting in the name "mint leopard." Malaysians call it the "tree tiger" because it is often seen resting in the branches of jungle trees. The clouded leopard is distinct from other members of the felids and stands alone in its own genus as Neofelis nebulosa, literally the new cat with a cloudy pelt. The ground color of the body is grey, earthy brown, or yellowish brown on its back, shading to white or pale tawny on its underside.

watermark.php

Distribution
Spotted in the forest regions of eastern Nepal, northeast India, southeast Asia, southern China, Taiwan and Borneo, the clouded leopard is specialized for arboreal living, although it is assumed to be a mainly terrestrial cat in most of its habitat. Included in these specializations is the ability to climb slowly down a vertical trunk headfirst, rather than the hindquarters first method, as utilized by most other felids.

Species
Four subspecies have been described:
N. n. nebulosa South China, Indo-China
N. n. brachyurus Taiwan (Extinct?)
N. n. diardi Borneo
N. n. macrosceloides Nepal to Burma

Hunting and Diet
Clouded leopards are equally adept at hunting on the ground as they are in trees, but uses trees primarily as a resting place. Their diet includes birds, primates, small mammals, porcupines, deer and wild boar.

watermark.php

Reproduction and Offspring
Little is known of the breeding habits of clouded leopards in the wild, but in captivity litters of 1-5 (average 3) are born after an average 93 day gestation. Less than 20% of captive Clouded Leopards have been successful at reproducing because the males tend to kill their females during mating.

Conservation Status
The status of the clouded leopard is probably healthiest on the island of Borneo, possibly because of the absence of tigers and leopards. As part of a faunal survey of Sabah, Davies and Payne (1982) provided the first (and thus far only) rough estimate of density; they assumed that 12 one-square kilometer study areas were surveyed adequately so that presence or absence of clouded leopard would be detected and, on the basis of three records, came up with a density of one individual/4 sq.km.

Life Span
10 to 12 years

It is an extremely good climber, aided by the balancing effect of its long tail and supple ankle joints - in captivity the clouded leopard has been observed hanging from overhanging branches by its rear legs. Although in part arboreal, the clouded leopard hunts mainly on the ground at night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross