Clothing Question ACU Camo Pattern

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by Tom071, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Tom071

Tom071 AH Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    North American Hunting Club Trophy Life Member, NRA, Safari Club International, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    US, Canada, South Africa
    Going on safari to SA in May and was just wondering what everyone thought about the ACU camo pattern? I have a hat that I usually wear but was thinking its too light in color.

2. James.Grage

James.Grage GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Tom

What country are you going to?....

Every country is different in what you are allowed to use.

Some Camo are ok and some are not depending on the country, i would suggest you go to the country you plan to go to and do a internet search to see.

I would suggest you stay with 100% cotton clothing and stay with darker colors and you PH will be happy if your clothing is a Dark Olive.

3. Jaco Strauss

Jaco Strauss AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, IPHA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
    The time of year that you will be down South will be good for olive green, and a darker Khaki, the reasoning behind this would be that due to our good late season rain we will still have reasonably green leaf and brush cover.

Enjoy, my best always.

4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Agree with Jaco. Darker is better.

5. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    go to tagsafari.com and you will find all the clothing you need. their products are superb, and in the colours you need. we use their shirts and caps with our logo on (which they embroider for us) , and i find their products very hard wearing and comfortable.

6. 35bore

35bore AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    I hunted in Realtree AP, and the Ph Renier Swartz wore Sniper wear camo "I think that was the name of his camo", then again there were 2 days of the hunt I wore Jeans and a brown T-shirt, Animals didn't care they just knew that the bullet hurt like hell. lol.

I know, I am up late and am not a regular for your side of the world, but, hey, I'll have another beer, sit back and enjoy. Good day all.

7. Mark E

Mark E AH Member

Hunted:
    United States-but I am always optimistic!
    Remember, ACU originally was designed for breaking up outlines to human eyes. Think light reflection-critters see things a bit differently, and if you end up showing up like a cluster of lightbulbs, it's bad news. The cheaper camos are imprinted on fabric with inks that almost glow in sunlight...

8. Stretch

Stretch AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    USA , Canada, Botswana
    Almost all fabrics like the poly/cotton blends, commonly used in camo, are almost always pre-brightened when manufactured. This is because the colors they use for printing will be brighter and more attractive (to hunters) if applied to bright fabric. Animals are much more sensitive than humans to the shorter wavelengths of light. In short, they see UV light while our eyes have a coating that acts as a filter for UV light. You can observe, for yourself, the effect of UV brighteners on your own camo. If you have access to a fluorescent UV light simply hold your camo under the light and see if it glows. Animals are perfectly designed to see the effect of UV brighteners without the aid of an artificial light source. The coating on an animals eyes does not filter the UV light but rather gathers and reflect the UV light. Ever wonder why animals eye's glow when you hit them with a spotlight? This is why they can see well and move about with ease at night. There is a company that sells a spray product to block this UV light on your camo cloths. You can link to them here: UV CONTROL

9. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    if you are talking about ACU military clothing they are special treated to block UV this is to protect Our soldiers from being detected at night with special equipment. but the best bet is to check with your outfitter they'll know best what to wear. Tom another note most outfitter provide daily laundry so you don't need to pack a lot 2 or 3 sets will be plenty unless you plan on doing a lot of touring as well.

10. pudwillcurt

pudwillcurt New Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, BLACK HILLS SPORTSMAN CLUB, SOUTH DAKOTA ARCHERY ASSOC.
    Hunted:
    Canada, South Africa
    I have found Cabelas Outfitter camo to be great for South Africa. It has a good combination of darker green and lighter colors to blend in well whether you are in the bush or more open areas of the country.

11. FerRGarza

FerRGarza AH Veteran

Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club
    Hunted:
    North America (USA & MX)
    35bore,

would you know the prices of the shirts. I found a webpage that might be that camo..:: Sniper Africa - Designed to Disappear ::
    whats your opinion on a Columbia PFG shirt in plain tan or olive for safari?