Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
Canada (AB,SK,ON,QC,NB,NS) USA (TX,ME) South Africa (6) Argentina
For the Canadians on the Forum

Just got off the phone with CITES in Gatineau and even though your animal may be listed as a CITES animal (Bontebok) depending on the country of origin you may not need to have an import permit as is the case if importing from RSA. This seems to be a change as before i left they required an import permit when i called. Now a letter will be issued from the CITES office stating the nil requirement for a the import permit, and this will accompany your shipment.

Interesting, thanks for posting.

This is nothing new. These are the requirements for each CITES appendix as found here Environment Canada - Nature - CITES - Permit Requirements

Appendix I

Species are rare or endangered because of international trade.

International trade is generally prohibited.
è±owever, trade may be possible for captive-bred or artificially reproduced specimens and in such cases as scientific research and Pre-Convention specimens.

Specimens to be imported into Canada must be accompanied by:
ç—… Canadian CITES import permit
ç—… CITES export permit issued by the exporting country

Specimens to be exported from Canada must be accompanied by:
ç—… Canadian CITES export permit that will be issued once the relevant CITES import permit issued by the Management Authority of the importing country is received.

Top of Page

Appendix II

Are not currently rare or endangered but could become so if trade is not regulated.
肘nternational trade is possible, controlled by permits.

ç—… CITES export permitissued by the exporting country

ç—… Canadian CITES export permit

Top of Page

Appendix III

Are not necessarily endangered but are managed within the listing nation.
肘nternational trade is possible, controlled by permits.

ç—… CITES export permit issued by the exporting country if the specimen is from a listing nation

Or
ç—… CITES export permit, a CITES certificate of origin or a CITES re-export certificate if the specimen is from another nation

ç—… CITES export permit

I should also note that as far as different countries requiring different permitting (import permits) this only applies to populations that are Appendix II in some countries and Appendix I in others, such as Caracal and Argali. In this case Appendix II rules apply to Appendix II populations and Appendix I to Appendix I populations.

Diamondhitch, thanks for posting the link, navigating through cites, CFIA etc ... for the first time can be a little confusing.

Diamondhitch, thanks for posting the link, navigating through cites, CFIA etc ... for the first time can be a little confusing.

LOL navigating anywhere in any government system is bound to result in sea sickness!!! No matter how many times you have been there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you