Choosing a good hunting outfitter

the outfitter wouldn't spend any time hunting one.

I think this really denotes a $$$ attitude. The cheap ones may mean the most to a client and the PH needs to take the good with the bad (profit wise), so long as the client doesn't just show up wanting to shoot nothing but free Jackals ad Baboons that is. I can understand the frustration that scenario would cause.

I guess the point that would go with the thread is make sure your outfitter hears your wants but also maybe flexible if your wants change as your hunt goes on.Its great to have a plan but after being there your list of animals may change after seeing them.Plans change and you must be sure your comfortable enough with the outfitter that he may change with you and work with you as the hunt goes on.As a client you must understand the outfitter maybe able to switch you from a kudu to a zebra but dont plan on changing a lion to an eland hunt when there.

Spot on. This is why hunting from the list is great, flexibility. I go with a long list that may be possible to fill but more likely we will not. That leaves lots of options plus being open minded can yield some great opportunities.

When hunting on a package this is less of an option, adding OK, substituting maybe but less likely and you really cant have any hard feelings about it unless you don't have opportunities for the animals on your list which is possible but not likely.

Sure, you get guys who will carry on hunting a couple of other critters, but this is in the minority and it will be 2 or 3 extras, over the next 5 days? Hunting Africa is an expensive exercise, and not many hunters can do 12-15 animals in a trip.

This is a good point that I hadn't considered. I try to go with more money than time (although I have run out!)

When hunting on a package this is less of an option, adding OK, substituting maybe but less likely and you really cant have any hard feelings about it unless you don't have opportunities for the animals on your list which is possible but not likely.[/QUOTE]

Thats a very good point for a package hunt make sure of your options in case you dont see one of the animals on the package.If you will get so much back on that animal or if you can change to another animal.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, flexibility should be a prerequisite with any outfitter. Anyone who refuses his hunter any reasonable request on a chance at any animal is not worth his salt.
Being open minded is an absolute must. A prime example is Savage Hunter, who posts here. He hunted here with his son last year, and had a 10 animal target list of your regular plains game over a 7 day safari.
Well, long story short, he went home with a Waterbuck that was just shy of 31".....and that certainly was not on his list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as far as I'm concerned, flexibility should be a prerequisite with any outfitter. Anyone who refuses his hunter any reasonable request on a chance at any animal is not worth his salt.
Being open minded is an absolute must. A prime example is Savage Hunter, who posts here. He hunted here with his son last year, and had a 10 animal target list of your regular plains game over a 7 day safari.
Well, long story short, he went home with a Waterbuck that was just shy of 31".....and that certainly was not on his list.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth. I had already taken a gorgeous Nyala bull and had no intention of shooting another when we saw one that made the trackers exited. Trackers don't often get excited so I went home with 2 great Nyala, definitely the right choice. I did the same with Bushbuck on the same hunt, I normally have a 1 per species policy but when you see a toad self control is overrated! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this really denotes a $$$ attitude. The cheap ones may mean the most to a client and the PH needs to take the good with the bad (profit wise), so long as the client doesn't just show up wanting to shoot nothing but free Jackals ad Baboons that is. I can understand the frustration that scenario would cause.

Totally agree with you. In this instance the guy was willing to pay $500 to get a baboon and after that he was willing to spend $6000 in trophy fees for other animals. The outfitter wanted to spend the $6000 and then if he had time they could go look for a baboon. Lets say this the outfitter lost over $6500, because he let his wife hunt and he watched.

Totally agree with you. In this instance the guy was willing to pay $500 to get a baboon and after that he was willing to spend $6000 in trophy fees for other animals. The outfitter wanted to spend the $6000 and then if he had time they could go look for a baboon. Lets say this the outfitter lost over $6500, because he let his wife hunt and he watched.

Such a shame for both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cazhino90

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg