Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
All right guys,

That thread the other day made me hungry!!! So... I sweet talked the wife into cooking chicken fried steak!!!

@ActionBob @spike.t @Buff-Buster

This is beef cube steak, but like I said my Grandfather used to make it from venison and elk. I told my wife that Kudu would probably make great CFS, so she may have to cook @Tootabi Hunting Safaris.... :A Gathering:

Pictures to follow shortly!

20150201_174204.jpg
20150201_174411.jpg
20150201_174506.jpg
20150201_174737.jpg
20150201_180135.jpg
20150201_181134.jpg

Can we all just say yum yum! Did she make white gravy to go on top?

Can we all just say yum yum! Did she make white gravy to go on top?

Answer your question? :)

20150201_184351.jpg

And then the full meal.... The mashed potatoes were outstandimg too. dang it was good....

20150201_190707.jpg

Dang now I'm hungry!

Imagine if you actually knew now good it was!!! LOL

If you get to Atlanta at some point I'm sure we can talk Nancy into making you some. :)

And Royal if you and Nancy ever get to Central Minnesota, let us know and we will provide Ann's favorite... We'll take you guys out to Red Lobster.

Awwwww.........
chicken fried anything is soooo gooood....
I almost licked the computer screen. Got a really weird look from the wife. Thanks for the pictures, now to go invent smello-vision.

thanks royal its 6.15am and getting sorted to head to the airport and my stomach is rumbling at the photos. :D getting some healthy cereal and then airline and airport food for the next 19hrs or so.......depending if they are on time or not........will try not to imagine those photos too much!!!!!!!!!:D

The first meat I tasted in Africa was springbok fillets, pounded, seasoned, dredged in flour and fried in very hot sunflower seed oil.
It was served with plenty of gravy, boiled potatoes, peas and home made bread.
They referred to it as "schnitzel".
It was, as we call it here in the USA - "chicken fried steak", except of course it was springbok and not beef or pork as we use here and the gravy was brown and not the southern USA traditional white gravy (I love them both - that's no doubt why I'm fat).
To this day, it is one of my favorite dishes, no matter where I am or exactly what meat is used (or which style of gravy it is swimming in).
I have even made this with goose breast, back when I lived where waterfowl hunting was quite good.
Just like the other readers here, the photos in this thread are making me hungry.

Where's Mine

Can't imagine how good Kudu or Impala would taste done Country style with some good Country Gravy

Can't imagine how good Kudu or Impala would taste done Country style with some good Country Gravy

YES!!!! Told my wife she just might have to cook one meal in Africa....

Elk backstrap done like that is about as good as it gets. yum yum

My last meal on earth, if I could have it, would be my Grandfather cooking fried elk steak with rice and gravy.... i can never eat chicken fried anything without thinking of him...

thanks royal its 6.15am and getting sorted to head to the airport and my stomach is rumbling at the photos. :D getting some healthy cereal and then airline and airport food for the next 19hrs or so.......depending if they are on time or not........will try not to imagine those photos too much!!!!!!!!!:D

have you left the bar long enough to try some chicken fried steak yet?

Royal , Loodt should throw in some freebies so that Nancy can be the campcook!

My last meal on earth, if I could have it, would be my Grandfather cooking fried elk steak with rice and gravy.... i can never eat chicken fried anything without thinking of him..

Time to bump the thread.

I had some elk in the freezer and on a whim decided it was time to cook it up. My grandfather would have been proud, especially of the brown gravy.

Man was it ever good.

20200711_160242.jpg
20200711_154255.jpg
20200711_160856.jpg
IMG-20200711-WA0022.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!