checking in from Afghanistan

Ticonderoga

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been a "reader" on this board for a few years. A buddy and I have always dreamed of an African Safari and I've checked this site from time to time to keep the dream alive.

Been overseas for a few years now and have been using my holiday time to get some traveling done. Eventually I'll work my way to Africa...

Around the World and Back

I'm currently working with a couple of chaps from S. Africa and hearing their big game stories has rekindled my interest so I purchased a Win Mod 70 (stainless) in .375 H&H. It came with a trigger job, topped with a Zeiss on quick release mounts & the stock has been laminated, aluminum pillared and bedded.

I always liked the "classic" look of Safari guns but really wanted a stainless. I think that this rifle brought the best of both worlds:

wm_2177202.jpg

Well, I finally have a "question" to ask on one of the boards so I had to "break down" and sign up for an account LOL.

Anyhows, I've always enjoyed reading all of your posts and looking at your photos. Looking forward to joining the club.

Attachments

• wm_2177202.jpeg
    wm_2177202.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 107
Welcome to the board,
Are you serving in the military, or working?

Hi Ticonderoga,
Welcome to the forum! Answers to all you questions are right here. Enjoy your stay.

All the best,
Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris

Welcome. I guess there is no hunting available in Afghanistan, so you have to go to Africa to try your new .375.

hunting

Welcome. I guess there is no hunting available in Afghanistan, so you have to go to Africa to try your new .375.

Oh, I wouldn't say that there isn't any hunting here, but it is of the two legged species. And every few months there is a dog culling; the wild dogs reproduce and then start to work their way into camp. They are usually dispatched at night using floodlights from the towers or sometimes with a silenced 9mm and night vision.

But its just not quite the same LOL...

There are a few categories of hunting awards you can work towards only in Afghanistan. I believe you can achieve the coveted "Taliban Slam" there.
Ticonderoga, Thanks for your service and you guys are in our prayers daily.

Welcome to the forum glad you joined us. That is a fine looking rifle now all you need to do is blow some powder down her!

Welcome to AH Ticonderoga! Glad you decided to join.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg