CHEAP HUNTS-ARE THEY REALLY BAD?

Many guys on here traveling various continents to market their safari's, in certain cases the word cheap is deserved, especially when bottom lines are simply not in line with the broad market....

Cheap means exactly what it refers to a product of lesser quality.

Not to be used as a synonym for affordable quality product.

For one i would never announce that i sell cheap safari's as the connectation could be negative and attached to my product which would be unfair, or not the truth.

There are many guys offering lower spectrum market related packages and good ones at that,.

Each to his own everyone can pick they're demographic IMO a good balance brings about diversity and equals success.

My best always

For all the rest i am with you James

My best always

Cheap can also mean "worth more than its cost"
When starting this thread I mentioned in inverted commas that some hunts I sell can be considered as "cheap" this is in comparison to hunts advertised on this forum,albeit to determine cheap or average price proper research will have to be done involving all outfitters in various provinces. One of the reasons for this thread is to determine potential client perception off lower priced hunts. Of course demographic plays a very large role in the marketing of all products, that being the reason for pre-selecting a target market before one starts your marketing campaign.
On the other hand all of us do not have the same sums when determining our bottom-line. Some outfitters own property and have very large expenses on salaries,maintenance,fodder etc. Others hunt non-owned properties and have a fixed cost which makes the sum easier. I for one own butcheries where carcasses get turned into value added products such as biltong,various sausages and other delicasies, for me this puts a total different perspective on income and cost which gets directly transferred to my clients.

As mentioned in my earlier post....correct.
I differ from opinion on "cheap" though so we can settle on that Pieter.
As far as clients perception goes lower priced safari's will draw attention allot faster than the norm...

The reason for this being internet based marketing in many ways not very personable.

My top end safari's are agreed upon over a table in an eye ball to eye ball in itself very personal, trying to market the latter on a forum would be futile to say the least...

Once again I'm only talking out of my personal experience and not for anyone else.
My best always.

As mentioned in my earlier post....correct.
I differ from opinion on "cheap" though so we can settle on that Pieter.

My best always.
I settle on that, that is the whole purpose of the exercise ,determining opinions.

Just my thoughts....... bring on the Jamesons James!,

My best always

I had a little Bushmills 21 in honour of St Pattys day yesterday. Had to upgrade from that Jameson's stuff.
Speaking about something that is 5X the drink rates.

I don't think all cheap hunts are bad, as there are some really good deals out there. I think if you come across a cheap hunt or good deal as with all potential hunting one must check into things before booking. Making sure the PH is licensed, checking that the outfitter is license also asking question as to do they own the property you will be hunting or is it a lease. How big is the property to be hunted. What quality are the animals to be hunted. Also a must for me is how long have they been in business and what is there reputation like. I like to hunt with guys in it for the long hall not the short term. If they have been around for a few years with a good reputation and everything check out good. By all means I would go on a cheap hunt. I know some guy discount to fill open spots or May have excess quota they discount to keep a healthy population.

Hit the nail on the head. I have been on several "cheap" hunts, cheap being a relative term here. All were researched to the nuts and proven to be truly good deals. Nothing was lacking in terms of trophy quality, care and attention, accomodations, or anything else that I could see.

Truly good deals generally come with either short notice bookings or when an outfitter cannot sell his quota any other way. I have hunted on both and saved thousands of $$$. In fact I am sure I could do a 10 day safari with the $$$ I have saved (if life really worked that way that is LOL).

I think I am making out with my so called cheap hunt I booked with pieter.I get to ride in a new truck plus now i know I am going to eat good as he has a butcher shop to.I cant lose on this deal.lol :kt:

Noooo brickburn you traitor J.J.S. John Jameson and sons or....

Jacobus Johannes Strauss... :) ;) :) ;) :) ;)

My best always! :)

Here are other keywords:
- affordable hunts
- bargain hunts
- budget hunts
- easy on the pocketbook/wallet hunts
- hunt deals
- hunts on sale
- free hunts
- value hunts
- inexpensive hunts
- low cost hunts
- low price hunts

Thanks for the thread. This is great info for us new guys. I just happened to stumble into my first booking and had Forest Gump luck on my side. I have no point of reference yet but it appears that all hunts are about as cheap as a free puppy when every animal in Africa sounds exciting to hunt.

Here are other keywords:
- affordable hunts
- bargain hunts
- budget hunts
- easy on the pocketbook/wallet hunts
- hunt deals
- hunts on sale
- free hunts
- value hunts
- inexpensive hunts
- low cost hunts
- low price hunts

Thanks Jerome,

The word "Cheap" is a relative word, but I think it was the wrong choice of word to start this post!

I have been on both ends of the spectrum as far as African hunts go. I have not received much more or less with either hunt. I look for the best deal for the amount of expendable dollars I have.

Point being, the offers I received from my posts on AH for a lioness/copper springbuck hunt from well respected outfitters and the one getting all the bashing here are pretty similar, a couple days difference and couple hundred dollars. So does that make one worse than the other?
One could supply the springbuck and other could not.

"A dream can be relived, again and again in Africa."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber