Chacma baboon.....what's "big enough"?

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I realize that these are mostly taken as targets of opportunity, but would a .223 Remington shooting a heavier (60 grain plus) bullet be considered adequate to humanely take a chacma baboon?

Can't imagine it won't do the job properly

A 220 Swift does a job on baboons. An individual I knew used a 22 Hornet that seemed to work well. As Phil said, can't imagine why a 223 wouldn't.

When you've seen a live chicken that a baboon plucked just to hear it squawk, or seen the teats eaten off a live goat, you don't think to much about humanly killing a baboon.

Last edited:
I've killed deer with 223's, not my weapon of choice for deer size game but will do it w/proper placement. If it'll kill a deer it'll kill a baboon I would think.

The 223 should be fine with a good quality expanding bullet,not a Varmint type bullet,save those for the monkeys.
Also depends on how educated the baboons are and what distances you will be shooting at. Trying to stop a baboon from behind while it is heading for the hills may be a problem with a smaller bullet,especially if you want it as a trophy. Big males don't die easy,I have hunted a few in my life and the big males take some killing. Biggest baboons I have ever seen are around the Bavians mountains and Plettenbergbay area,more like gorillas:D
IMG_1015A.jpg
2012-11-15 001 2012-11-15 001.JPG
P1000667.JPG
JOHAN FARM PHOTOS 011.jpg

Hi Guys
I wouldnt rekomend a 223 for Baboon but it does work.
Any good hunting rifle you are comfortable with will work but personaley I would suggest 243 and over and that that has a little reach.
I have NO love for baboons but even they deserve a good clean exit.
Keep safe
Russel

One thing about the .223 is that when you start going to heaver bullets most rifles will not stabilize them due to the rifling's be too slow of a rate of twist. Also if you plan on a mount you may want to go to a different round since that .223 round will start to tumble once it hits the flesh and exit holes can be huge.

So if you do plan on taking it get some of the heaver bullets and take them to the shooting range and see how they perform in your rifle.

Distance might be a problem, my .223 drifts like you wouldn't believe in the wind, where my 243 Win seems to be A LOT better with wind drift.

Can it be done? Certainly. Is it the .223 the best tool? Certainly not. As Tokkie mentioned, the big males take some killing. Even a perfect chest shot from a .300 Win Mag, still has them crawling quite a way before they expire.

I agree with JimP. The concern is what happens upon expansion. Go heavy

Am I the only one that is concerned the the consensus is that .223 is marginal for baboons but the US military uses it for larger primates that shoot back?

Yes, they use it in automatics. Any well placed shot is final. But is it the best choice?:cool::W A Rifle::W Shotgun::W Shotgun Pump::W Sharp Shooter:

Am I the only one that is concerned the the consensus is that .223 is marginal for baboons but the US military uses it for larger primates that shoot back?

.308 would be a better choice !

Ah.....the 7.62 or 308. The 223 or the 5.56 NATO. Didn't have any of these with me in Rustenberg so I was about to use a 416 Ruger but the darn things headed for the hill very fast when we saw them!
Would have liked to see the damage with that!

Ah.....the 7.62 or 308. The 223 or the 5.56 NATO. Didn't have any of these with me in Rustenberg so I was about to use a 416 Ruger but the darn things headed for the hill very fast when we saw them!
Would have liked to see the damage with that!

likely just a large hole as large slow heavily jacketed bullets don't tend to have the explosive results of lighter speedy projectiles. Think groundhogs and a 58gr Vmax @3900 flying chunks

Sorry guys but a 308 IS a better choice for Baboons and other primates espesialy those that can shoot back

yup the flipflops can absorb a few 5.56 and still keep coming but an single round from an m14 puts them straight down

No, you're not the only one that has that concern; I've been considering selling my AR15 for something else to compliment my M-14.......would like to get a nice bolt gun in .223 for varminting, but as you said, if it shoots back, I'd like something bigger. Besides, I'm not real crazy about the AR platforms.......
Unfortunately, the SA govt. has seen fit to prevent me from bringing my M-14 to their country.........too bad, as a 20 round magazine and a troop of baboons might make for some interesting memories!!

I just think the .308 offers you a one shot, one kill opportunity. I honestly can't say that about the .223. Some of those baboons are big and I would not want to wound one and have to go looking for it. But I have already said I would be comfortable with a .243 or .270 too.

Its a baboon use the rifle in hand. I'm sure it will most likely be big enough if used properly.:sneaky:

Does anyone have 50 of these animals I can shoot for my dream baboon safari

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg