Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, and now Tajikistan
This is not quite a lion or a leopard but for a bobcat it will serve. I was guide, cook, and head bottle washer. Good friend was the highly accomplished caller and shooter. Needless to say it was an exciting end of the day!

IMG_1327.jpg
IMG_1329.jpg

That cat is so huge I can not even see your buddy in the trophy picture. :)

Calling is a pretty exciting hunting method. Certainly for cats.

Well done.

Looks like a fun way to spend the day.(y)

Good looking cat if you ask me!

Nice bobcat, what would a good cat like that weigh?

That cat is so huge I can not even see your buddy in the trophy picture. :)

Calling is a pretty exciting hunting method. Certainly for cats.

Well done.

Ok bell rang and students showed up didn't have time to post other pictures but here it goes.

IMG_1323.jpg

She weighed in at 30pounds. Oh, by the way this is how the day started

IMG_1316.jpg

Yes, that is the green grass of W. Texas in the spring time(y)

I really would like to get out and try calling. Just haven't done it.

Great job!

Beautiful bobcat. I've only seen two in my area with no shot

id love to whack a bob cat, well done
them two from the morning , are coyotes ? or wolves ?

Coyotes.

No wolves in Texas anymore... :(

thanks ,mate.....

thanks ,mate.....

Always Bluey!

Google Red Wolf in Texas and you should come up with some interesting articles. They were there in east Texas near the gulf Coast.

I remember my grandfather telling me about them as a small boy. He used to see them and hear them occasionally, but they went extinct in the wild around 1970 if I remember right.

Poor kitty. By the way not enough dead coyotes.

Poor kitty. By the way not enough dead coyotes.

In most years you are correct but this spring those coyotes are hard won trophies. In January this year, during calving season, the ranch that covers our north border brought in a professional predator hunter and they used a helicopter. Talking to the ranch manager, who also leases grazing rights on our ranch, in two days they took 70 coyotes. This spring and summer the song dogs have not been singing very loudly.

The two we shot came from our first set up that morning. They were a group of three that popped up on the dam of a water tank where we had the electronic caller located. The wind was in our face and the sun was at our back. I was backed up to a mesquite tree on a hill overlooking the pond my buddy was twenty yards to my right tucked into another mesquite tree. When the coyotes first came in all we could see was the sun glinting off the tips of their ears because of the tall grass. (plenty of rain this year(y)) When they appeared on top of the dam I shot the left one my buddy shot the right one and the one in the middle went back over the dam. Then came around the right side of the dam about two inches of the ground on a dead sprint right between us and made a clean get away. He certainly earned the name Wyle E. Coyote.

Those were the only three coyotes we saw that weekend and we did not hear any singing at night. I have been out several times this spring and have not heard coyotes or have them respond to our calls. Last fall during deer season, we saw plenty of does but very few of then had that years fawns with them. The coyotes played havoc with last years fawn crop. So, though our coyote hunts this spring have just been walks in the woods this years fawn crop should be more successful. For those of ya'll that might be concerned about the coyote population, well the name coyote translates into "Life always finds a way!"

Hey Bluey, perspective is the key to the picture. The coyotes are in the back of a Toyota Tacoma. Yes, I am a proud Texan and can be quite the stereotypical obnoxious Texan but I don't drive the big trucks. I like to be able to get my equipment out of the back without having to climb in or use a ladder. If you were thinking that the truck was one of our "Yank Tanks:sneaky:" I could see why you would think they are wolves. (y)

Now I am going to go dig a fighting position to be prepared for all the Ford, Dodge, and GM truck owners that are coming to get me:W Cal 50:

Nah we won't come after you. We'll just pick you up on the side of the road when that "toy" breaks down....... good job on the predators. Up in Okla our bobcat season is done before the grass greens up. Wish I could shoot them yearround.

Nah we won't come after you. We'll just pick you up on the side of the road when that "toy" breaks down....... good job on the predators. Up in Okla our bobcat season is done before the grass greens up. Wish I could shoot them yearround.

When it does break I will be needing your help because it will be back in the deep woods and a very long walk out. So please come by

IMG_3445.PNG

:A Drive:

. . . Last fall during deer season, we saw plenty of does but very few of then had that years fawns with them. The coyotes played havoc with last years fawn crop. So, though our coyote hunts this spring have just been walks in the woods this years fawn crop should be more successful. For those of ya'll that might be concerned about the coyote population, well the name coyote translates into "Life always finds a way!"

The wild hogs will also take a huge chunk of the fawn population, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois