Cartridge choice advice

Great advice rookhawk

Rookhawk is offering good advice.

I understand completely what Rookhawk is saying. My goal isn't to be talking a bunch of long shots. I want to keep them 300 and in and as close as possible for each shot. The area I'm hunting is incredibly open and will involve a lot of crawling to get within range so I don't want to limit myself with rifle choice. I also don't own a 7x57 and though I always like excuses for another rifle, I'm more focused on saving for the hunt than adding another rifle when I already have several that will fit the bill.

Ive already done some development, just starting a new batch with once fired brass. The powder in using is IMR4350 max load according to the Barnes manual. I think 65.5 gr? Not sure on the MV as I haven't chrono'd it yet but that load has shot .5-.75" or so when tested in the past.

Yeah, I think you're right on the max. My rifle seems to be most accurate at around 64 grains, which ends up being 2930 fps or so. 65 grains was 2960 as I recall, but lost a little in accuracy. I'd rather have the accuracy.

I agree. I did load development and the most accurate load ended up at max. I have since checked again and 65.5 is the max book load for barnes with a 180ttsx and IMR4350. When I did load testing it grouped .5-.75" or so. I'm in the process of loading some more up and will do a little more validation and shoot some through a chrono this time.

I'll be curious to hear your speeds. I'm going to do the same thing by loading a few more at the two best groups and validate.

I also tried Reloder 19 and it was not as accurate. But now I have some extra powder if nothing else. And it was cerrainy huntable at just over an inch.

I've also adjusted my trigger now, which won't hurt anything either.

I'll post here the results of the next shoot and the speeds I get. 22" barrel as well.

I understand completely what Rookhawk is saying. My goal isn't to be talking a bunch of long shots. I want to keep them 300 and in and as close as possible for each shot. The area I'm hunting is incredibly open and will involve a lot of crawling to get within range so I don't want to limit myself with rifle choice. I also don't own a 7x57 and though I always like excuses for another rifle, I'm more focused on saving for the hunt than adding another rifle when I already have several that will fit the bill.
I can understand what he's saying but I can't agree with it. I've only taken 20 some odd species of African game but talking with those with much, much more experience than I will ever have there I've accepted the idea that you're a whole lot better off having more gun than less.

I also found myself in several situations where a shot under 200-300yds was quite simply an impossibility and if I hadn't been equipped and prepared to shoot at a substantial distance I'd have probably taken only about half as many species as I was able to.

If I lived there and had months each year to hunt instead of days I would probably have a different opinion but if I'm going to fly halfway around the world to hunt I will not start off handicapping myself with the ability to only take close shots.

That doesn't make either of us "wrong", just "different".

My next trip I'll be carrying at least one .375 Ruger and probably one of my 7mm STW's. I'm in the midst of a nearly 30 year love affair with the 7mm STW and the only instance in which I would feel like it was way too much gun would be on the Tiny Ten many of which are best taken up close with a shotgun due to the heavy cover they favor.

If I don't take one of the STW's I'll take either the 300wm again or perhaps even the 300 Rum which is ideal for both species of WildeBeest and Eland at any range with the right bullet. I was fortunate enough to stumble across a 300 Rum in a factory Model 70 I bought just for the action which I'd planned to use for a custom build but it shoots surprisingly well so it makes a nice carry rifle as compared to it's brothers in the cabinet that are all dedicated, heavy long range rigs.

I'm very blessed in that I have been able to put together a nice collection of rifles in calibers from .204 Ruger up to the Rum's and the .375 Ruger so my biggest problem is just trying to find a chance to use them all every year or so.

Based on the recommendations of lots of people I respect if I could carry only one rifle to Africa it would either be the .300wm or .375Ruger.

Crawling in Africa is a lot like crawling in West Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona's flat grounds. If you plan on doing it, be sure you are packing and wearing long pants and long sleeved shirts or you're probably going to regret it.

I like the wooden ones better, but that is my personal preference. Lots of guys use bogpod and the like. It is what you are most comfortable with.

I made mine from dowel rods and copper repair pipe so I could break them down and take my own to Africa. After two trips I won't take them again I don't think. Wood sticks are wood sticks.
I have come to love the tall and medium versions of the Primo's Trigger Sticks II. They are super smooth and quiet to carry and use and you can quickly and silently get them to exactly the height you need.

I missed an opportunity on one exceptional warthog because he was below us a considerable distance on flat ground below the ridge we were on and it was very steep. We simply couldn't make the sticks work that the PH had brought as they were fixed length wooden sticks and there was nothing else I could get rested on for the shot which was just at or over a hundred yards.

Due to repeated injuries and surgeries on my left arm and shoulder other than shotgunning and snap shooting I must have a good solid rest to shoot accurately.

Of all the various sticks, bipods, and tripods I've ever used the Primos TSII is the best and most versatile I have found. Fortunately they are available in the RSA and several of the PH's we hunted with had them so I didn't feel the need to take mine. I would however check with the outfitter/PH you are hunting with to see what the terrain you will be hunting is like and if they have them. If not, I'd pack along my own even if it meant taking only one rifle to make room for them in the case.

PERFECT... the 300 is more than adequate, but you have mind set on taking 2 x rifles AND with a double case, this makes it easier.. GO FO IT!!

Crawling in Africa is a lot like crawling in West Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona's flat grounds. If you plan on doing it, be sure you are packing and wearing long pants and long sleeved shirts or you're probably going to regret it.
I learned in Patagonia that knee pads and gloves help a lot for crawling. My PH had them, I didn't. It was rocky ground there; may be different conditions where you are going.

Regarding the crawling, I live and hunt here in NM so I'm very aware of the do's and don'ts after a few desert mulie hunts when it comes to crawling in terrain like this haha. I'm planning on good gloves and knee pads if needed already.

Regarding the crawling, I live and hunt here in NM so I'm very aware of the do's and don'ts after a few desert mulie hunts when it comes to crawling in terrain like this haha. I'm planning on good gloves and knee pads if needed already.
My family first moved to NM in the 1870's. I grew up in Farwell right on the TX/NM line. My first hunting experiences other than ducks was hunting Pronghorn near Claunch, and later around Roy and Capulin NM.

I still miss both the people and the country.

I'm still amazed at how so much of the RSA resembles much of NM and it's filled with the same kind of just really good, salt of the earth kind of people.

I'm heading to SA for Blesbuck, Springbuck, Kudu, Nyala, Lechwe, wildebeest or gemsbok, and Impala next year. I'm leaning towards taking a 300wsm with 180 ttsx hand loads as the primary and a 270wsm with 140AB hand loads as a backup. What do you guys think?

Nothing wrong with that battery of rifles. I am a big fan of the .300WSM. The only change I would make is go with one rifle. With the list of animals you are pursuing, I think it will be a waste to take the 270 all the way for 3 animals, when you will already have a rifle that can get the job done.
I have seen it so many times that a safari is running smoothly, and something goes wrong with the shot because the hunter changed rifles midway through, "just to give the other rifle a chance".
My advice would be, choose one, and stick with it.

All the best with your trip. We look forward to the photos of a successful safari.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Nothing wrong with that battery of rifles. I am a big fan of the .300WSM. The only change I would make is go with one rifle. With the list of animals you are pursuing, I think it will be a waste to take the 270 all the way for 3 animals, when you will already have a rifle that can get the job done.
I have seen it so many times that a safari is running smoothly, and something goes wrong with the shot because the hunter changed rifles midway through, "just to give the other rifle a chance".
My advice would be, choose one, and stick with it.

All the best with your trip. We look forward to the photos of a successful safari.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen
I don't doubt that for a minute. Most hunters don't really do a lot of shooting for practice. That seems to be reserved for only the truly dedicated.

Just for some clarification, I'm not taking a second rifle to change randomly so I can use both...it's going as a true backup. I plan on using one the whole time if I have no good reason to change it up.

Wildrose...small world! I live in Clovis right now haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.