Cartridge choice advice

ltsheets

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm heading to SA for Blesbuck, Springbuck, Kudu, Nyala, Lechwe, wildebeest or gemsbok, and Impala next year. I'm leaning towards taking a 300wsm with 180 ttsx hand loads as the primary and a 270wsm with 140AB hand loads as a backup. What do you guys think?

That would be adequate.... I took my 3006 loaded with 168gr TTSX. Worked perfectly.

My first trip, I took a .300 SAUM and 168gn TSX handloads. It worked perfectly, even on eland and blue wildebeest. You'll be fine with your set up.

I'm heading to SA for Blesbuck, Springbuck, Kudu, Nyala, Lechwe, wildebeest or gemsbok, and Impala next year. I'm leaning towards taking a 300wsm with 180 ttsx hand loads as the primary and a 270wsm with 140AB hand loads as a backup. What do you guys think?

You're good. As mentioned the 165/168 TTSX's will work well too. But you're a handloader and if the 180's group well......time to focus on practicing shooting off the sticks.

You're covered!

I don't even think a backup rifle is needed, unless you just want to. Your PH will have one you could use in a pinch. A backup scope is a good idea though, as scope failure is more likely than rifle failure. Right @PHOENIX PHIL ?

Shoot straight!

You're covered!

I don't even think a backup rifle is needed, unless you just want to. Your PH will have one you could use in a pinch. A backup scope is a good idea though, as scope failure is more likely than rifle failure. Right @PHOENIX PHIL ?

I don't which is more likely, but after experiencing a scope issue I will always have one more scope than rifles on my trips.

Royal is correct on this one. Travel light. Rifle failure is very unlikely. If you consider it likely, get a reliable rifle. You are going to Africa not the moon. In the very unlikely event your rifle craps out in the 20 shots you'll be taking you can borrow one. The second rifle is dead weight.

Great info guys. I'd hope I don't have a rifle failure. My 300wsm was the first custom I had done off a Win M70 controlled feed action.

Plus, PH will have a backup handy I would bet.

Either would be fine, but I agree with the above. Just take your .300. Two rifles just adds too much complexity. Best of luck, please post pictures!

I used the same 180 grainers out of my 300 win mag. Since your hunting in the cape I would sight in dead on at 200 yds and get as much time off the sticks as you can do.

Need or not I prefer to take a back up rifle whenever and wherever I hunt. It is already zeroed and just a matter of putting one down and picking up the other. I am also use to MY rifles/scopes. I have never needed to swap(I use Leupold scopes) but I have traded out rifles just because I want to shoot the other one also.
I use a double rifle hard case to travel so there is room for 2.
Just my 2 cents

All stated earlier but worth repeating.
Just take one rifle (your favourite). Either will do just fine on those animals. Match your sight-in and load for the terrain you will hunt.

I'm an optics snob so would sell the other rifle and buy a good German Zeiss, a top end Swaro or S&B scope. At low light you will be stunned by the difference and (for my son) made the difference between a top trophy and no shot at all.

I brought two rifles on my first African hunt, and have not done so again. I did bring two sets of barrels with my S2 to Moz, but could have done with just the .375. Next year. I'll likely bring my 9.3x62 just because. Really like Code4's comment about optics - our rifles rarely fail us - and quality optics rarely do either.

Just take the .300 would be my vote, 180 grains in a premium ammo and you wont be doing much tracking!!!

To those of you making the comments about making sure you have quality optics, I have a meopta Meostar on my 300wsm and a Swarovski on my 270wsm so hopefully that'll do as far as optics are concerned.

Regarding a spare scope, higher end optics can and do sometimes break too. And I doubt the goons in baggage handling bother to check whether you have a $500 or $2000 scope on your rifle.

I have a meopta Meostar on my 300wsm and a Swarovski on my 270wsm so hopefully that'll do as far as optics are concerned.

Adequate.... :E Big Grin:

Haha. I figure I have a double rifle case already, might as well take both of those rifles if they're good rifles for plains game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross