Cartridge Battle. 416 Rigby vs 416 Remington. Pick your side.

Of the two cals the launch platform is often a driver. I am a classic mauser 98 and double rifle fan. My .40's are a .404 and 416/500 (wouldn't mind a 98 in the Rigby but I already have one .40 more than I need). A number of friends are Blaser R series fans which means their .40 is the .416 Rem. I am pretty sure no cape buffalo in Africa could discern any difference in the three.

now pieter stop trying to get into Docs good books ;) and marius :thumb::beer:
Hey Spike Doc is the forums own 007 so I trust his taste in booze,women and rifles!:beer:

Hey Spike Doc is the forums own 007 so I trust his taste in booze,women and rifles!:beer:
I mean DOC404 has a similiar ring to it as Bond 007

Hey Spike Doc is the forums own 007 so I trust his taste in booze,women and rifles!:)

i will agree with trusting his taste in women having met his :) wife , and the rifles ...ok not too bad ;) but booze not in a month of sundays!! :):) mind you i have had a few more jager shots than i would normally consume since visiting Doc in walvis :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I shot my friend's Ruger RSM .416 Rigby and I did like it, they have risen in price over the years. So if one magically showed up at the door, it would be more than welcome.

I just sold my mint condition Ruger RSM in .416 Rigby..pending funds of course. Had it listed on here but no bites.
The only reason..and I mean the only reason is the money is going to my Searcy double 470 NE.

Glad you got the Rigby..a true piece of African classic. Good for you!

For me I would get the 416 ruger. One because I am cheap and I already have the 375 ruger and I hand load.

I just sold my mint condition Ruger RSM in .416 Rigby..pending funds of course. Had it listed on here but no bites.
The only reason..and I mean the only reason is the money is going to my Searcy double 470 NE.

I'm happy for you, I hope the next person enjoy that beautiful rifle....I got tear in my eye, they don't make them like that anymore.

Throwing in my 2 cents here. Great points have been made for both calibers. I personally sold my 416 Rigby to fund a 458 project. I like the price of the ammo for the 416 Remington, however, if I were going to buy one it would be the 416 Rigby.

Still no wise cracks from DOC404, hhhmmmmm, long nap. Or he's still out shooting Castle bottles.

Both are similar calibers, on paper.

However, in the field you should consider that if you hunt in a hot climate, it makes sense to do it with the cartridge with the lowest pressure, thus preventing possible problems with it.

For me I would get the 416 ruger. One because I am cheap and I already have the 375 ruger and I hand load.

I agree.
The 416 Ruger is a great cartridge, just like the 416 Rigby and 416 Rem.
And I am also cheap as I prefer to spend my money on hunting. I hand load and I have a 375 Ruger that I very much like :)

I own a Winch 70 SE cal 416 RM ... cheaper than the Rigby.Same performance.
About the Ruger which has, I think ( on the paper) the same possibilities than the two others 416, I 'm waiting that this cartridge becomes "no proprietary"!!!!
Same thing for the 375 Ruger ...
It's a pity ...

Rigby for me.

As a long-gone handloader, I could not care less about ammo cost.

I like that the Rigby has enough case capacity to reach prime-time velocity at much lower pressure than the Remington. Good for case life and good for ease of extraction no matter what the temperature is.

And then there is that pesky rule again....Never hunt with a cartridge younger than you!

Tim

Throwing in my 2 cents here. Great points have been made for both calibers. I personally sold my 416 Rigby to fund a 458 project. I like the price of the ammo for the 416 Remington, however, if I were going to buy one it would be the 416 Rigby.

Still no wise cracks from DOC404, hhhmmmmm, long nap. Or he's still out shooting Castle bottles.

so scott when are you going to crap on the gunmaker from a great height who has forgotten to finish your .458 ? :heh:

I went through the same process looking at all of the 40 cals, Rigby, Remington, Taylor. What did I do.... I re-barreled a mod 70 375H&H to a 400H&H. Pushes a 400grainer at 2400fps, 300gr around 2700fps it's now my favorite rifle with out a doubt...
Only problem no commercial ammo, which is not a concern if you are a hand loader.
Good luck with your choice

They make something in 416 besides the .416 Rigby:)

there is only one the .416 rigby. i am biased of course having had 4 rifles in this calibre. why anyone would want one of those small case colonial versions i dont know.....i would even have a .404 jeffery before the remington specimen, and as for the weatherby ...nah cant even go there. :uptosome::stirring::heh:

I agree with spike.t

I love my 416 Rigby, but I cant say that I enjoy shooting her.

the little that I have fired my new 404 Jeff ,I have loved shooting it.

I am not a fan of the Remington.

I'm more than fine with the .416 Rem, if I want more I can go to my .458 Win.

I'm cheap, everything about the .416 Rigby is more $$$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeCast

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg