Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, North American Hunting Club, BASS, North American Fishing Club
Hunted
Canada and USA
Just like the thread title states, I will be headed to Ungava Bay the last week of September for a couple of caribou and hopefully some ptarmigan. I have been talking about going for sometime and finally pulled the trigger when a few openings came up this past June and I had the money right there for it. Super excited, just wish I could've taken my dad along. He has other things going on and can't break away to go. Anyway, i am planning on taking my Tikka T3 Lite SS in 6.5 x 55 SE shooting some handloaded 140 gr Hornady SSTs with a velocity of 2771 fps on average. Should be plenty good out to 300 yds. Has anyone ever gone with or heard anything about Ungava Adventures? Let me know what your thoughts or opinions are on this outfitter. I should be able to post my experience of it when I get back and hopefully with some pictures too.

Caribou%20Hunt%202015%20059_zpsxzettxjc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds exciting!

I have killed whitetails with the Hornady SST (165gr at 2,700 fps mv from a .308 Win) and found them to be pretty soft/explosive, based on the wounds. Similar to Ballistic Tips.

Have you had good luck with that bullet on game the size of Caribou? I imagine they would kill very quickly with broadside lung shots, for sure.

image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi Nicholas
I did a caribou with Ungava Adventures but it was back in 2002. There were 7 of us and one father/son group did one with a bow and one with a rifle. The rest of us all hunted with a bow.
I had all the maps for the camp we were going to hunt but when we got there they told us that the caribou were not near that camp so they were taking us to a new camp farther north.
One thing they were known for back then was they would get you where the caribou were.
The camp was nice with wall tents, cook and kitchen tent, all on one of the fingers of the lakes that were there.
When we were there it was unseasonally warm but was were in the animals all the time. My friend the person that put it together filled both rage in the first two days.
I got my first one the second morning and didn't get my last one until the last day. They were every where that day and I got my best one then.
The group that were there before us all taged out and and our group did also so I was the last one to fill my second tag so I had two guides making sure that I filled the tag so they would have 100% filled at this camp.
That was back in the film days for me but here is a shot of my bigger mount.
It would have made P&Y but we split the rack to bring it back so I didn't enter it.

I was thinking of using my bow too, but my confidence was rocked a few times. I may pick it up again soon and try a different bow this time. Currently have an Alpine Eclipse, 2009 manufacture and have already had to replace the string due to stretch. After that and getting back on target and shooting the different ranges out to 50 yds, I still get one or 2 in and a flyer. The consistency is not there, but my grip, release, and stance, are the same (the flyer is not more than 2" off target, but it is enough to blow my confidence, especially since I was used to replacing at least one or 2 arrows each shooting session due to damaged fletching or shafts.

I have killed whitetails with the Hornady SST (165gr at 2,700 fps mv from a .308 Win) and found them to be pretty soft/explosive, based on the wounds. Similar to Ballistic Tips.

As far as I understand from several people who have hunted the various caribou sub-species, that they are similar to whitetail and are fairly weak when shot as compared to say an elk. I have used SSTs on whitetail, bear, and wild hog with no problems. As far as the explosiveness, yes, I have had fragments and a few jacket separations from cores, but the end result was dead animal. Most of the people that I have talked to that have lost animals while using an SST bullet were shooting magnums at very close distance (25 - 150 yds). in that case, the SST will act like a varmint bullet and nearly explode on the outside of the animal and cause little damage where it needs too. I have Hornady Interbond loads set-up for my .30-06, however, I do not wish for a pass through and hit another caribou calf or cow if I can help it, especially if the are moving clustered like they do sometimes.

I was thinking of using my bow too, but my confidence was rocked a few times. I may pick it up again soon and try a different bow this time. Currently have an Alpine Eclipse, 2009 manufacture and have already had to replace the string due to stretch. After that and getting back on target and shooting the different ranges out to 50 yds, I still get one or 2 in and a flyer. The consistency is not there, but my grip, release, and stance, are the same (the flyer is not more than 2" off target, but it is enough to blow my confidence, especially since I was used to replacing at least one or 2 arrows each shooting session due to damaged fletching or shafts.

Quit wrecking your arrows and use one of these targets. :) If you keep your fletching pristine they may fly better.
Unknown.jpeg

As far as I understand from several people who have hunted the various caribou sub-species, that they are similar to whitetail and are fairly weak when shot as compared to say an elk. I have used SSTs on whitetail, bear, and wild hog with no problems. As far as the explosiveness, yes, I have had fragments and a few jacket separations from cores, but the end result was dead animal. Most of the people that I have talked to that have lost animals while using an SST bullet were shooting magnums at very close distance (25 - 150 yds). in that case, the SST will act like a varmint bullet and nearly explode on the outside of the animal and cause little damage where it needs too. I have Hornady Interbond loads set-up for my .30-06, however, I do not wish for a pass through and hit another caribou calf or cow if I can help it, especially if the are moving clustered like they do sometimes.

I have had very good luck with SSTs on whitetail and feral hogs up to several hundred pounds. I did have one expand TOO rapidly on a whitetail last year. I was doing the check to see if he was dead ... and he wasn't ... shot a second time at 3 feet and had more external than internal damage. I do not think you will have any issues with the SSTs at normal ranges.

If the bullet is tough enough to not over-expand on contact, then it is susceptible to a pass through. ALWAYS assume a pass through and you will be OK.

Hope you slay a monster. Certainly want to hear all about it.:)

On my list! I would also be interested in hearing the gear you are taking. Looking forward to hearing your report. :)

I will not use an Interbond as wife and I both lost some game with these..They shoot straight through without opening up..Had pretty good luck with SST's and Interlock and they were accurate for me....She lost a nice caribou that was hit in shoulder (30/06) ..I have had very good luck on lighter skinned animals with Sierra Game Kings...I would use 180 grain as they hold together a little better...

I am going to be taking a 6.5 x 55 SE (.264 caliber) chambered rifle shooting 140 gr Hornady SSTs. It has a little bit better sectional density and ballistic coefficient than the 180 gr SST in .308 caliber. Compare for yourself:

http://www.hornady.com/store/6.5mm-.264-140-gr-SST/

http://www.hornady.com/store/30-Cal-.308-180-gr-SST/

I was thinking of using this bullet, but it is too tough and would more than likely pass through even after hitting bone out to 200 yds or so:

http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/bullet-lists/traditional/264q-333q/162

I live in Alaska and hunt caribou every year. They are easy to bring down and fun to hunt. I hope you have a great time. Good advise from black dog. Make sure you have the rain gear and bug spray. I am going musk ox hunting in the morning,( opening day). Need some more meat for the freezer. Good luck on your hunt.

I live in Alaska and hunt caribou every year. They are easy to bring down and fun to hunt. I hope you have a great time. Good advise from black dog. Make sure you have the rain gear and bug spray. I am going musk ox hunting in the morning,( opening day). Need some more meat for the freezer. Good luck on your hunt.

Thank you and good hunting!

I am going musk ox hunting in the morning
Good luck! I'm very jealous and am just fascinated by those beasts. Gotta figure out how to go hunt one some day soon.

when ypou post the pitures of your moose and that shaggy musk ox , could post some of the cuts of meat ?
congratulations on a good opening morning ,mate ......

Just like the thread title states, I will be headed to Ungava Bay the last week of September for a couple of caribou and hopefully some ptarmigan. I have been talking about going for sometime and finally pulled the trigger when a few openings came up this past June and I had the money right there for it. Super excited, just wish I could've taken my dad along. He has other things going on and can't break away to go. Anyway, i am planning on taking my Tikka T3 Lite SS in 6.5 x 55 SE shooting some handloaded 140 gr Hornady SSTs with a velocity of 2771 fps on average. Should be plenty good out to 300 yds. Has anyone ever gone with or heard anything about Ungava Adventures? Let me know what your thoughts or opinions are on this outfitter. I should be able to post my experience of it when I get back and hopefully with some pictures too.

Its been about 10 years, but FWIW I hunted with Ungava for Caribou.

Can't say now; but I consider them one of the best organized outfitters I have ever used and everything was exceptionally well run at the times I used them. Daughter of the owner was doing all the coordination at the time, not sure now.

Good luck and hope to see some pics.

Also FWIW, they can be feast or famine......you see a good bull, I suggest filling a tag, even first day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daneski43

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber