warthog

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI NRA
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Manitoba, Quebec, Sask., British Columbia, and over the US
any recommendations for top cape eland hunts? Hunted bubye valley last year and never saw a mature bull. Would like to give eland another try in 2017 or 18

@warthog ,

Lots of places to pursue cape eland and lots of outfitters who are sponsors on here can certainly help you out. Best of luck!

I recommend hunting with:

Jacques Spamer @AAA Africa Serapa Safaris or Ruan @Hartzview Hunting Safaris.

You can check out the Eland I shot with them. Saw several others very similar in size. You will hunt 1st class/top notch animals with awesome PH's & facilities.

We saw many free-range eland while hunting with Lalapa Safaris earlier this year. Ray really specializes in them.

eland.JPG

I hunted the BVC last year and like you, saw lots of eland but didn't see a shooter. Eland wasn't on my list, so we didn't spend a lot of time looking at them.

I just got back from the eastern cape and took a large, old eland bull with Game 4 Africa Safaris. I learned from my PH that big, bushy hair in front of the horns is an indicator of an older bull. Both my PH and another PH that came to help us load the eland told me this was the largest eland they've harvested in the last 4-5 years

thumb_IMG_2205_1024.jpg

Last edited:
I hunted the BVC last year and like you, saw lots of eland but didn't see a shooter. Eland wasn't on my list, so we didn't spend a lot of time looking at them.

I just got back from the eastern cape and took a large, old eland bull with Game 4 Africa Safaris. I learned from my PH that big, bushy hair in front of the horns is an indicator of an older bull. Both my PH and another that came to help us load the eland told me this was the largest eland they've harvested in the last 4-5 years

View attachment 152508

375 you got a nice bull sir!

375 you got a nice bull sir!

Thanks! I'll be telling the story about how it came to be in my hunting report tomorrow. Eland are huge and difficult just to roll them over and try to pose them for a photo. One ton of fun........literally!

Its amazing how massive eland really are and that they outweigh a cape buffalo! 2 great bulls there

Reactions: BWH

I just got back from the eastern cape and took a large, old eland bull with Game 4 Africa Safaris. I learned from my PH that big, bushy hair in front of the horns is an indicator of an older bull. Both my PH and another PH that came to help us load the eland told me this was the largest eland they've harvested in the last 4-5 years

View attachment 152508

That is a mature eland bull. I took one like that down in the cape also. My son took his in the northwest after passing on a few longer horn younger bulls. To me what makes an eland a trophy has little to do with horn length and all about the mature heavy body they get.

That is no Bull$hit...... It took 5 of us with a winch & pulley system just to get it in the back of the truck. They are literally the size of a car. From what I have learned, the Drakensberg Eland are bigger bodied, than the average. Which is what I shot. If i were to put a wager on his weight. I would guess 2000 lbs.... Hell maybe more.

That is a mature eland bull. I took one like that down in the cape also. My son took his in the northwest after passing on a few longer horn younger bulls. To me what makes an eland a trophy has little to do with horn length and all about the mature heavy body they get.

Won't disagree 1 bit. We saw several.... Man I wanted to shoot too..... However, they were insistent to not. That they get much more mature & heavier (horned & bodied). Hard to imagine if you had not really studied them.

Won't disagree 1 bit. We saw several.... Man I wanted to shoot too..... However, they were insistent to not. That they get much more mature & heavier (horned & bodied). Hard to imagine if you had not really studied them.

I always told myself I would only take one myself. But this trip coming up I just may take another as there has been 3 bulls around since I left last trip that no one has taken. If they are what guys are saying there is no way I will be able to pass one of them up. LOL I have no will power at all. I may try to take it with my bow but will do what I need to in the end. :whistle::)

Now that is an old bastard right there.

Nice bulls there guys - Eland Biltong is really good btw...

Marius that is a brute of a eland bull. You have taken many giant eland over the years. How old do you think that bull was? When have you notice the eland get that massive body size. I would guess an eland would take 8 to 10 years to get the big humped back and just massive body.

Marius that is a brute of a eland bull. You have taken many giant eland over the years. How old do you think that bull was? When have you notice the eland get that massive body size. I would guess an eland would take 8 to 10 years to get the big humped back and just massive body.

Bill, I would say minimum between 10-12 years. I think it is fair to say that it takes longer to find these bulls than the actual 7 day hunt and the work is done before the hunter arrives.
The truth of the matter is, we find a bull, and go to it, so a little bit of travel is involved. I know of at least one that will match this bull, and another that will go close.
Maybe its time for you and Pieter to visit the EC ;)

Off to hunt Buff.

I have always wanted to take a eland cow with large long horns. But their always fun in hunting a "blue bull".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you