AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
SCI , PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
This particular Buff was shot with a 375 H&H 270gr DG round and we didn't get great penetration. If you look at the perfect placement of the shot. We had to Finnish him off the next day and unfortunately as in all gunfights the cameraman was not present.

It's difficult to condense 3-4 days of hunting into 3min. As always hunting capes are great fun.

At these distance,or thick cover,a solid is always more worth.
Good shot.
Foxi

Last edited:
Looks like absolutely perfect shot placement. Amazing quality video- you can see the bullet arc in and hit spot on. Either that is an amazing camera or the bullet was traveling closer to archery than rifle speeds. I hope it is the former!

Of course I can't be sure in the video but that bullet looked like it should have hit just inside the shoulder and avoided all bone save a rib. Given the less than ideal result with perfect placement, I have to ask what the bullet was. I would like to avoid them.

Hi Bert
He used a 270gr Hornady DG round , we got very poor penetration 4-5" didn't get into the chest.

We finished him off with 380gr Rhino Monolithic solids.

Hornady DGX in question again....

Great video and another reminder of why bullet choice is important for buff. I can never get more how tough those suckers are!

Great video, Thanks for sharing.
a quick follow up shot would have been good ,if time allowed. 5" penetration I am surprised .
how about the Barnes TSX , do you have any experience with them ? Forrest

I personally love the Barnes bullets. I'm currently loading the South African made Rhinos. They are as good as the Barnes but with 380grs and a ramped up load you turn your 375HH into a 404jeffrey

It looks like the 270g Hornady is the interlock, not the Dangerous Game Expanding (which is 300g). With that bullet, the result obtained is not surprising! Not the right bullet at all for buffalo. Probably perfect for leopard.

I don't know if the DGX would have done better. Barnes is my go-to hunting bullet.

Yes I really like the Barnes bullet on N.A. game, that is why I ask about dangerous game. Forrest

It looks like the 270g Hornady is the interlock, not the Dangerous Game Expanding (which is 300g). With that bullet, the result obtained is not surprising! Not the right bullet at all for buffalo. Probably perfect for leopard.

I don't know if the DGX would have done better. Barnes is my go-to hunting bullet.

Oops, I made a bad assumption that it was DGX...

Yes I really like the Barnes bullet on N.A. game, that is why I ask about dangerous game. Forrest

Barnes TSX and Swift A Frames seem to be two of the favorites among PHs for a buffalo bullet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.