Canada Firearm Proof of Ownership

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by Johnny7604, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Johnny7604

Johnny7604 AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, FMFG
    Hunted:
    Canada (BC, AB), RSA (Limpopo)
    Let me apologize up front if this has already been covered but my "search-fu" is not strong.

I am have run into a small situation with the SA permit requirements for firearm proof of ownership. In Canada we used to have a long gun registry that provided us with a registration certificate for each firearm we owned. Recently the long-gun (non-restricted) portion of this program was abolished. The firearm I am taking was made for me after the registry was scrapped hence no registration certificate.

It has been suggested by the outfit that is going to arrange my permits that I get a copy of the invoice signed and notarized by the police to "certify" the document. I have the invoice however after speaking with both the Canadian Firearms Center and our local police detachment they are unable and unwilling to do this.

Has anyone run into this and if so will a copy of the original invoice with all my details and the details of the rifle suffice being "un-certified"?

Any insight would be helpful.

-Johnny

2. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Veteran

Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet)
    You need to get a Temporary Export Permit, you need this to take a firearm out of Canada. It also works as a Proof of Ownership. Takes 1-2 weeks for the firearm, but takes 3-4 longer for ammo and scope. Google Firearms export Canada, or try EXCOL on the Canada web site. You can do it through the website.

3. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
  4. dobber

dobber AH Veteran

I know for me it is as easy as stopping off at the border, go on into the customs on the Canadian side, fill out the paperwork to prove ownership and its done. I have done this years ago for when heading on hunts down south, for not just guns but camera gear as well, just shows that it wasn't bought while away as they need serial number ect. I will be doing the same soon as I had to mail my guns out to where my property is to avoid any border issues and after a few trips back and forth I asked what I can do different
    good luck with the gun info

5. BRICKBURN

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    That form will prove you bought the firearm here, but..

FYI,
    Going into the USA from Canada is the only country where you, as a Canadian citizen gun owner, do not have to acquire an export permit from the Canadian government. Anywhere else, you best get the paperwork.

You will require a 6NIA form from the ATF to temporarily import your firearm into the USA now. Warning, don't head into the USA without it.

Getting the proof of ownership form you suggest will not meet your legal obligation for temporary export of a firearm for heading to Africa.

6. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Veteran

Hunted:
    Brickburn is 100% right different rules for the US, then the rest of the world. The permit is free and takes 10 minutes to fill out the form. Not worth the trouble you can get into for not having it, so get it

7. Johnny7604

Johnny7604 AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, FMFG
    Hunted:
    Thank for all the replies fellas. I think I have it sorted. Apparently all they require is a letter from the applicant explaining the changes in the registration program and that no certificate is available.

I did this and sent copies of my firearms license and approved Canadian Export permits (had both of these back in less than 24 hours using the online EXCOL system...thanks Spook). We shall see if this works or not.

Lesson learned while completing online EXCOL application. Firearms must go on "Firearms" application. Scopes, detachable magazines and ammunition can all go together on "Other Controlled Goods" application. I received a very informative instructional email from export controls. If anyone wants a copy just send me a PM.

There is a new application for the Netherlands transit permit. It now has a "Vice Versa" section which indicates if you will be transitting through the Netherlands on your return trip as well in which case you will only have to use one application. This came directly from a phone call with the department. Also according to them they will accept applications via email (DRN-CDIU.Groningen@belastingdienst.nl) if you do not have secure access to a fax. I submitted mine this way however I haven't received a response yet so time will tell if they indeed accept it.

Cheers,

Johnny

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  8. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Veteran

Hunted:
    Let us know how it goes through the Netherlands. I normally fly through Frankfort. I also fly with the Star Alliance group, Air Canada or Luthsansa to Frankfurt, South African to Africa. They check your luggage all the way through, so a lot less hassle. Have done the same through Heathrow, but hate the airport there

9. BRICKBURN

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Please post the instructions. If you found them helpful others will too.

The Netherlands office likes to wait until the last minute to reply.

Glad you have it sorted.

10. Johnny7604

Johnny7604 AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, FMFG
    Hunted:
    No problem here is the body of the email.

Cheers,

Johnny

11. garyleach

garyleach AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Local clubs
    Hunted:
    Canada and RSA
    Thxs Johnny!!!

12. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador