Camera for hunting?

I opted for the Sony HX50V,,,it seems to fit my needs ,It set up real fast and the menu actually is EZ to understand,,I,ll be out with it this weekend and see how it performs,,30 day Money back guarantees are nice also

How are you guys liking your hx50v's?

I have it narrowed down to that one and the rx 100 but it dosen't have much zoom.

how is the low light performance?

How are you guys liking your hx50v's?

I have it narrowed down to that one and the rx 100 but it dosen't have much zoom.

how is the low light performance?

Honestly, I've just played with it around the house so far, but I like it. I'm going to take it outdoors this weekend, unless I forget it like I did last weekend.... Hopefully I'll have more feedback for you in a couple of days.

Anybody looked at the Sony RX-10 http://store.sony.com/dsc-rx10-digi...DSCRX10/B/cat-27-catid-All-Cyber-shot-Cameras? It is hard to believe that I am considering a $1300 point and shoot camera, but technically it will be a gift for my daughter who will accompany me as my photographer/videographer and she REALLY likes the specs (I will have one or two smaller point and shoots in the pocket as a backup).

I am not the photographer, but I am the buyer so any input from
I have lots of thoughts on this. I've gone through point and shoot cams, Pro-sumer cams, DSLR's, enthusiast cams and now I've come full circle.

There's a question of what the camera is supposed to do. That's the starting point. And what I want it to do, and how I want it do it. Here's my qualification list:

1. Must be pocketable. I have had DSLR's, ProSumers, the Nikon P510, an old Fuji?hey weren't pocketable. I hated carrying them on the hunt - it was something swinging around. I also figured out that if I didn't have it with me I wouldn't take a picture anyway. Pocketable size wins big for me.

2. 10 megapixels is good but Sensor SIZE is more important. The bigger the sensor (4/3, etc.) the better the quality of each pixel taken and the better the performance in low light, faster pix.

Megapixels ISN'T EVERYTHING. Seriously, don't buy into the hype. I've done quality poster-sized pix with a 6mp camera. Just how much do you really need 20mp? It's better to have a quality pixel than to jam a chip full of low quality pixels. I'll take a quality low light high performance 10mp chip over a 20mp + cheap sensor any day of the week.

3. Understanding zoom length. It's great to look for a 40x lens but it usually comes with a very small sensor. That's how they get the massive magnification out of a small camera and small lens. A 10x lens with a full size sensor is 10x. Shrink the sensor and it turns into a magnifier. You get the magnification but at the cost of a lower quality sensor.

4. You can have Zoom, you can have Quality, you can have Size: Pick any two

5. How important is zoom anyway? The Nikon P510 is a 42x zoom - and I barely if ever used it. To get the most of the zoom it absolutely has to be on a tripod or a super stable platform. It cannot be handheld at 42x - stabilized or not.

My absolute favorite camera - my go-to camera is an older Cannon S90. It's lacking zoom but it has the oversized sensor (good in low light, fast) and it's small (pocketable). I'd like a little more zoom but not at the expense of losing sensor size. The sensor makes the quality of the picture.

My recommendation: take the time and really figure out what's important to you first. Then decide from there what you want.

I'm rather lusting after the new Sony DSC-RX 100 ii these days. It's got the highest quality and largest sensor in a compact camera out there. That gives is superb low light ability with a pocketable size. Still, it's pricey...

I have a daughter who is the real shutterbug in the family who will be accompanying me on my safari (1 month from today I will be hunting in SA – hard to believe!!!!!) as my photographer and videographer. She is really excited about the Sony DSC RX-10 because of the sensor, Carl Zeiss lens, weatherproofing, and no interchangeable lens to carry – essentially a point and shoot camera that takes DSLR-like photos without all of the lens and a digital camcorder for ONLY $1300.
Neither of us have had an opportunity to actually play with the camera, so I am headed to Wolf Cameras in Austin, TX in a couple of weeks to make a final decision. Anybody have any experience with the RX-10?

I just got back from SA with my Sony,,I have to say I'm impressed, with that little Sony. It's light EZ to handle I just set it on Auto Mode and let it go. the colors were beautiful the zoom was Flawless . I didn't get much of a chance to use some of the features like Panorama or Motion Picture . Here something to consider,You won't be the only one using the Camera your PH and your tracker will also be using it while you pose with your trophy also thing tend to pop up and most game won't pose for you and some of the scenery is just spontanous there is little time to set film speed and apeture. I did the tour of the deWildt Cheetah rescue and got a one time face shot of a Cheetah that is so clean I can count the his whiskers.. before my next trip to SA I'll take the time to really investagate the capabilities of this little Point and Shoot

Attachments

• DSC00187.JPG
    9.1 MB · Views: 157
nice pic rob
used mine up north the the last week and a half
got some good snaps and video .
thanks for the recommendation ,bloke.
will post some photos soon .

I've got to try and learn to do more with mine over the next couple of months, but nice to know that it will take pictures like that on auto!

Kudu Pic, great detail in the photo nice color taken late in the day.

Attachments

• DSC00067.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 154
Last edited by a moderator:
nice pic rob
used mine up north the the last week and a half
got some good snaps and video .
thanks for the recommendation ,bloke.
will post some photos soon .
Some pics of a few Sheilas would be nice

Some pics of a few Sheilas would be nice

no such luck ,matey .
just some snaps of animals ,birds ,flowers and stags and hinds.
buggered if l can nut this posting of pictures and videos out .
he is a magnificent kudu you took ,bloke .
have you relived your adventure in words yet ,rob

Dang Rob! Nice pic and better Kudu! That's exactly what I want mine to look like...

You need to get to work on that hunt report! :)

no such luck ,matey .
just some snaps of animals ,birds ,flowers and stags and hinds.
buggered if l can nut this posting of pictures and videos out .
he is a magnificent kudu you took ,bloke .
have you relived your adventure in words yet ,rob
Yes head back to my post I go Kudu hunting

Many people that I have hunted with have been defeated by the complexity of their Nikon Coolpix. Even some hunters in their 20's. last year our guide, who said he takes pics of everyone with their own camera, so gets to know them all, could not work two Nikons in our group. I believe the camera that has one of the highest user satisfaction ratings in our field........hunting...........are Lumix cameras by Panasonic. Lumix DMCZS40K is actually simple to use. has 40 power zoom and image stabilization. $350 range....spend less time with the camera, more with the bow.................FWB

heres some snaps of our little adventure with the sony, the other day .....................

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 180
  • 006.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 181
  • 079.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 176
  • 107.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 166
  • 227.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 164
  • 224.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 159
Great pics Bluey,,,we need to hunt a couple of those

Great pics Bluey,,,we need to hunt a couple of those

my little brother can get us back on the property
with one phone call,
so on ya bike ...............

heres some snaps of our little adventure with the sony, the other day .....................

Nicely done... Any special settings, or was that just on auto?

And, I'd like to come there with Rob too.... I need more time and money!

just on intelligent auto ,royal
you don't need money to hunt there , just time mate .which seems to be the nut cracker .
next year , will be the next time l go .......

Good to know on the intelligent auto...

And I can say this much, telling my wife "honey, I'm going to Australia to hunt with a guy I met on the internet" would just make her roll her eyes and say "OK" now. A couple of years ago she would have had me committed! Progress!!! :)

ha hya ha ha ,it sounds faggie when you put it like that
I got a trigger stick tripod, on the way back to the airport when we were leaving .
so when im out playing next time ,hope fully l will have something set up to accomadate the riffle rest and the camera , some of the long shots are very scratchy and the videos l took seems like im
an alcoholic theyre jumping around so much .when hand held.
im trying to put the video of a cool stag I filmed while bedded up ,while waiting for the shot .

I was actually impressed with the video I took, albeit the distance was under 100 yards. My expectations were low and this camera beat them pretty handily. Not what I'd use if I wanted my entire hunt on video, but sure beats the heck out of nothing.

I thought about getting one of those mini tripod wrap around a branch thingies for those really long shots, but haven't done it yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross