Calibre for lightweight rifle dilemma...

Nothing wrong but a whole lot right with the venerable 30-06, especially with newer high performance 150 grain bullets. Check out the specs on Hornady Superformance 150 grain loads.

Or how about a 270? These two and the 7x57 are all good choices for an international caliber. Of course the 7mm Rem mag is as well but sounds like you want less recoil. Although I have a sister in law who shoots one and shoots it well. She dropped a pronghorn out at something like 440 yards. When your aiming at game, the recoil is not as noticeable. Buy two, a 223 to practice with an 7mmm for hunting?

Has anyone else noticed a bit of resurgence in the 7x57 here in the states? I've seen them on shelves more lately.

If your not worried about ammo availability and want lots of performance for very little recoil.. Check out the 6.5 creedmoor. Modern efficient caliber that retains incredible energy. Maybe on the small side but it has quickly gained a reputation for killing power with interbond and GMX bullets.

Rob14, my opinion is that that the 7mm-08 is very similar in ballistic to a traditional 30-06 shooting 150 gr, therefor is not any direct advantage for the 7mm-08.

James, The 300 Jarrett will for sure kick more than the 300 wsm.... so on what distance is rely a long shot in field conditions for you ? 500 meters or 550 yards is a very long shooting distance for Africa, even up in Kalahari and the 7mm rem mag will manage this on most middle size game except for gems bock, in the end depend of the guy that Squeeze the trigger but regarding external ballistics the 7mm rem.mag is most effective and right on where acceptable recoil meet ballistic superior when its loaded with a spritzer/boat tail 150-160 gr bullet.

Gordon
I just checked my re=loading manual and Damn,,now I have to load some 150s and see how they perform in my 06

You already have a short action round with the .300 WSM, which makes for a light rifle in a caliber that’s would be great for everything you want to hunt. Put a dreaded brake on it or how about keep the lightweight setup for the mountains but buy a heavier stock for Africa? A heavier stock for Africa would negate some of the recoil. I have a .300 WSM mountain rifle that weighs just 5.5 pounds without a scope and it sure is easy to carry on sheep hunts.

I went thru a few rifles for NZ and after each trip wanted lighter. Eventually settled on a Kimber ascent in 270WSM with 130gr TSX's. Great to carry and use. Put a ballistic turrent swaro on it and its pretty good combo for NZ, tops.
Yes the lighter rifles are harder to shoot, but the ascent shoots well from a pack rest and recoil is tolerable. Great break on it but very loud so hearing protection required.

ycz8nT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m toying with a .280ai, some good info in other threads

I would highly recommend a control round feed action Winchester Model 70 , chambered in 7 mm Remington Magnum . My preferred factory load would have to be the 175 grain Nosler Partition soft nosed round . I personally find such a setup to be quite excellent , for mountain shooting .

In regards to using a .30-06 Springfield for hill shooting , I see absolutely no problem with it .
05DECF62-183E-46FB-AC79-BFEE35027D03.jpeg

6C811482-162C-4A83-B3F4-95E5E90CBE5E.jpeg

I have taken both this Himalayan ibex and this Markhor with a .30-06 Springfield ( a sporterized Springfield Model 1903 ) , which was loaded with 220 grain Remington Core Lokt soft nosed factory loads . Both were one shot kills .

My brother is going to have a rifle such as you describe built in .300WSM. carbon barrel, muzzle brake, recoil dampers in stock. It will have some sort of scope that uses a ballistic turret, and has a Fire Dot or illuminated reticle.
Don't like the muzzle brake? Go to a 270 or 270WSM 130 or 140 grain premium bullets.

I am sure the OP has figured it out in the last 6 years since he has posted. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
But there have been advances in the past 6 years.
I'd say ammunition alone has come a long way.
Making those "mountain calibers" take game with more authority.

Thinking a NULA Model 24 in 270WIN would be nice.
Weighs in at 5.5#, so it's a bit heavy for a "mountain rifle"
After a scope, rings & sling...I'm guessing near 7# total.

I am sure the OP has figured it out in the last 6 years since he has posted. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
There's been quite a bit of thread resurrection the last few days. People forget to look at the last post date when searching their favorite topics. Probably a better idea to post a whole new thread. IMO threads over a year "cold" should be locked. You can still quote them for new threads to support your ideas or questions.

I guess we don’t have to read old threads if we choose not too, the thread is a story and some info my not make the new thread.
Some call @Bob Nelson 35Whelen the resurectionist as he brings up old threads, WE only joined 18 months ago.
ME, I’m researching something for a build and asking questions. I want to know as much as I can if I’m going to commit a few thousand dollars on something trying to find the perfect rifle. No not perfect but I cannot afford to build something I’m not happy with. It’s a one off. For now.

Light weight, sufficient power, low recoil. Pick two because you can't have all three.
I think the same was said for fast, cheap, good.
It’s a fair call but happy to read up and find something that might be a great all rounder
If I can find a compromise and handle it well and shoot straight with confidence that is what I am hoping for.

Lightweight BRNO mod 21 twin trigger in 7x57mm

G'day Bushmantim,

There is no one perfect rifle for all things.

You already have a 9.3x62 as well as a .338-06, either of which are fantastic African PG calibers however, the .338-06 might be dodgy to find ammunition for in most of Africa, if you needed some in a pinch.

For a light weight and flat trajectory, mountain sheep & goat rifle that does not kick you silly, take a good look at the 7x64 Brenneke or the .280 Remington (ballistic twins).

I know you are not especially interested in the .30-06 but here in Alaska, it is a very common sheep and goat caliber, usually with 150 grain or 165 grain bullets, because there are potentially long shots, up above the timber line, as we call it here.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
7mm Weatherby Magnum 160 Accubond Long Range bullet.

7mm Weatherby Magnum 160 Accubond Long Range bullet.

I agree that the 7mm Weatherby / 160 gr spitzer, is a flat shooter.
However the original poster said:
“I don’t like fast recoiling cartridges”.
Weatherby cartridges surely would fit the category of “fast” recoil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg