Caliber Pairing Help!

A .375 H&H and a .7x57 would be a great pairing.

Johnross,

Thanks for the info. Based on your response, I'm thinking a single rifle is probably the way to go. I already own an M70 in .375 (my only centerfire rifle), and it can be loaded up or down. I can duplicate the power of a .308, and also bring full power loads for eland. Kinda heavy, but with a sling, I don't think it would be bad.

One rifle and one load!!

Don't make it complicated.

I've killed everything I have ever shot in Africa with a .375 H&H, 300 gr. Barnes TSX at 2,600 FPS.

If you work up two different loads and take them your point of impact will be different. Don't make this complicated.

Just make sure you practice at home off of sticks, get the heck off the bench, and also practice kneeling and seated shots (though you may not need them, my wife shot both knelling and seated on her last Safari due to lack of cover on the stalk).

Also after you sight in at home whether that is dead on at 100 or dead on at 200 make sure you shoot groups at 100, 200, and 300 so you know your rifles exact bullet drop.

Have fun and let the Safari flow around you. Don't sweat any small problems.

Cheers
Jim

BTW, now that I said that, my wife uses a 7 x 57 and killed Impala, Puku, and Reedbuck on our last Safari. The gun is a tack driver with excellently managable recoil for her. She uses cheap Sellier & Bellot 173 gr. off the shelf (Graf & sons mail order) and they were devastating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say you have a perfect match with the 7mm and 375. I will have to agree with BryceM on the fact that if a huge Eland jumped out you would have to be very sure of the range and shot placement,,, Hell the same should be said for any caliber you use,,, Practice with them both and know where you are suppose to put that bullet and you'll be fine. Enjoy your hunt.:D

Guys,

I'll be going on a plains game hunt in RSA, and I'm planning on taking two rifles. At the top of my list, game wise, are Kudu and Eland. For those, I'm bringing a Win M70 in 375. Also at the top of my list for smaller species is impala, and the outfitter I've been talking to said he can off "bonus" hunts for caracal and jackels. I have the opportunity to buy a nice CZ in 7x57 for a good price. Would this be a good choice as a second rifle? Originally, I was planning on bringing a 30-06 for the smaller game, but the 7x57 is being offered at a great price. For those with experience, let me know what you think! The ballistics of the 7x57one appear to be.....lacking.
Like others have posted, your .375 will easily kill all of the animals that you mentioned. Your .30-06 will also easily kill all of the animals that you mentioned. With proper bullets, proper bullet placement, and holding your shots to within a sensible range, a 7x57 will also kill all of the animals that you mentioned.

It sounds like you really want the 7x57, so go for it.

Unlike some other African countries, South Africa does not charge hunters to bring guns into their country, so you only have to contend with the extra weight and extra ammunition of two rifles. The paperwork for one or two rifles is basically the same, and the SAPS officer will only have to check an extra serial number if you bring two rifles.

In 2005 I brought two rifles on a hunt in Zimbabwe and South Africa, a .375 RUM and a 7 mm Rem mag. The .375 RUM was for Buffalo, and I also used it on a few other animals, but the 7 mm would have worked fine for everything except the buffalo. In 2007 I decided to simplify things and only brought the .375 RUM for a plains game hunt in the Eastern and Souther Cape of South Africa. The .375 RUM worked fine for 13 animals varying from Steenbok and Jackal to Kudu and Eland, including several 300 yd plus shots on such animals as Vaal Rhebok, Bontebok, and Gemsbok. Looking back, I think the 7 mm Rem mag would have also worked fine for all of the animals that I shot on that trip.

This year, I again kept it simple and only took one rifle, my .300 Weatherby, on another South African hunt. I really like that rifle, and I hope it will go with me on many future hunts.

Get that 7x57! If you show up with it at a South African outfitter they immediately know that you know your rifles. The 7x57 is the pride and joy of many Boers in RSA. Lots of history with us. The 375 is a bit much for kudu but will be good for your eland if you use the Hornady 270g. The 30-06 would be a great rifle also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg