Bushpigs with my bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Africa' started by Azbowhunter2, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Azbowhunter2

Azbowhunter2 New Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ABA, AZPDC,
    Hunted:
    SA
    I need some ideas and help on taking one of these Bushpigs with my bow. The area I have been hunting they are only nocturnal and seem very skitish. Any tips anyone has would be appreciated. Is it legal to take these at night? Are you allowed to use the red light or would they work if it is legal?
  2. Dempsey Bayly

Dempsey Bayly New Member

Member of:
    SA hunters, wingshooters
    Hunted:
    south africa, mozambique
    I shot my first Bushpig with a bow this year and let me tell you it's no easy feat! It takes a lot of hard work which I'm sure your going to do, with regards to the red lights and hunting them at night it is all perfectly legal as far as i know and this was the manner in which i conducted my hunt. If possible it is best to leave the red lights on over the feeding site all night every night so as to allow the pigs to become used to feeding in those conditions, this was luckily afforded to me and played a big part i believe. As for any advice i have i would recommend you are confident in your bows setup and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE because when you are under those low light conditions and you have to make a tricky shot its very different from your garden at night with a torch light aimed at a target. Also dress warmly as it can get very chilly in the blind or tree stand! Best of luck with your endeavours!
  3. Azbowhunter2

Azbowhunter2 New Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, ABA, AZPDC,
    Hunted:
    SA
    Thank you, thats what I had suggested to my PH. We tried the red light one night but it spooked them so probably like you say he needs to have it on a week or two before I return. Thank you for your insights I have hunted wild bore in Texas like this and have been successful but was not sure if we could use this technique or not.