Bushbuck...best month to hunt?

Marias is spot on...

Hi Erny,
Bushbuck are called Bushbuck for a reason, and not because they live in the plains.:D

If you are looking for the best time, I would say look at doing the trip in the coldest month for the area. In the Eastern Cape that would be July. On those cold crisp mornings, the Bushbuck can't stay out of the sun. If the sun hits them, it means we can see them. If we can see them, we can hunt them.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen
Agree with Marius here. Be in the bush early... before sunup and as the bushbuck come out to sun themselves in the rising sun after a cold night in the thick bush, you have a great chance to see and then hunt them.

I started every day of my Eastern Cape Safari glassing east-facing slopes as the sun came up in early July 2012. We were very fortunate to have freezing or near-freezing temperatures each morning and we saw bushbuck every morning. We were eventually rewarded with this nice ram.

Bushbuck with Kylee.jpg

That's the kind of Bushbuck I am looking for. Congrats an a great ram. It looks like the consensus is that the colder the better. Thanks everyone and keep the suggestions coming.

I also hope a good month is May since I am going after one next week!

we pretty much had to kick the blue duiker s out of our way to get to the chobe bushbuck at takeri game reserve in early October
574.JPG

I also hope a good month is May since I am going after one next week!
Like Reedy said since my hunt starts this Week I'm hoping for the first week of May along with the last week of April. I'm hoping Marius can prove himself wrong. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

we pretty much had to kick the blue duiker s out of our way to get to the chobe bushbuck at takeri game reserve in early OctoberView attachment 149625

I think a Chobe would go well with the Cape ... and the Limpopo bushbuck that is near the top of the NEXT safari wish list!

Bushbuck are one of my favourite pg animals very tough to hunt but also very rewarding and like the always say they don't get that big from being stupid , best time to hunt them would be late winter when its really cold food and water is scarce forcing them to move around more and come out of the thickets

And if its ment to be it will happen and you will connect with your trophy they look really nice with a wall pedestal mount

Kind regards
Ryno

I started every day of my Eastern Cape Safari glassing east-facing slopes as the sun came up in early July 2012. We were very fortunate to have freezing or near-freezing temperatures each morning and we saw bushbuck every morning. We were eventually rewarded with this nice ram.

View attachment 149620
Beautiful animal for sure and looks to be of an age class that we should all be hoping to find if we're so fortunate as to have one in our sights.

now bluey i think that was on one of the colder days?? ;) well maybe not for you.......:E Sun::E Sweat: :E Rofl:

cold what are ya on about spikey
the only time I was I little cold was in the motel room at Lusaka after rhapsodies , and I past out with the air conditioner , on full throttle

hope it cooler there next week after the junior lure

You know it's a cold winter morning in the RSA when the Afrikaners are wearing long shorts and a goose down jacket whilst you're out spot lighting for jackel.

I was there for the four coldest weeks of 2015 and during the whole time I never saw Francois in long pants the whole trip other than a formal night out to watch his daughter's School play!

You have to be good at glassing to see bushbuck. They are very secretive and you have to be stealthy, if you stalk up on them. I remember the first time I was in the East Cape I saw a good bushbuck right in front of us. No one could see it but me. He was a nice trophy eating in the brush....I had never seen one before but he looked big. I tried to get my guides opinion and he couldn't see him. It was up to me and I let him walk. It was a stupid error on my part, the gun should have gone up and I should have just dropped him:E Doh:. Next time I'll shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:E Excited:

.............. I remember the first time I was in the East Cape I saw a good bushbuck right in front of us. No one could see it but me. He was a nice trophy eating in the brush....I had never seen one before but he looked big. ...............

I studied hard to avoid that exact nightmare. (I learned from you)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross