Bubye Valley Conservancy

Bruce, this is true! I inserted the word "American" since we American big game hunters seem to be hated and despised (thanks to an infamous American dentist) more than other international big game hunters. "South African Big Game Hunter" works for me. Cheers! :A Way To Go:

Yeah, absolutely... the dentist and his underhanded outfitter/PH really cocked it up, BUT that doesn't make ALL American hunters nasty.
I have just this minute had feedback from Martin... the raffle has been withdrawn due to some reporting issues...no wonder I battled to get PAYPAL to accept my payment for 3 x tickets!!
Happy New Year to you and the family and every success... I'm glad it has finally become 2016 'ços NEXT month I go hunting in Zim again!!

Yeah, absolutely... the dentist and his underhanded outfitter/PH really cocked it up, BUT that doesn't make ALL American hunters nasty.
I have just this minute had feedback from Martin... the raffle has been withdrawn due to some reporting issues...no wonder I battled to get PAYPAL to accept my payment for 3 x tickets!!
Happy New Year to you and the family and every success... I'm glad it has finally become 2016 'ços NEXT month I go hunting in Zim again!!

Bruce, Happy New Year to you and your family as well! Ouch! The raffle has been withdrawn? Hopefully, it is due to some reporting issues (as per Martin). Please feel free to call me a skeptic, but I suspect that the raffle became a PR nightmare for the BVC. Damn rabid anti-hunters win again!

Anything to do with lions is screwed up now, the damn media is as bad as the antihunters.

It was a good raffle for a great cause.

Clarification on the proposed fundraising raffle

The intended raffle was the sole initiative of a professional hunter who has dedicated his career to conservation and the better understanding of wildlife. This fundraising initiative had nothing whatsoever to do with the University of Oxford Wildlife Conservation Research Unit (WildCRU) or the Directors of the Bubye Valley Conservancy. The ecological research conducted on the Bubye Valley Conservancy is independent and unbiased, and completely separate from the management of the Conservancy.

The Bubye Valley Conservancy is proud of their immense conservation achievements through some of the most difficult times in Zimbabwe’s history. They are also honoured that the professional hunters who work here would spend their personal time and effort independently attempting to raise funds that will ensure continued unbiased research on such a globally significant lion population.

By 1994, when the Bubye Valley Conservancy was formed, all of the lions (and rhinos, and elephants, and buffalo etc.) here had been eradicated by cattle ranchers. Lions were reintroduced in 1999, and today, less than 20 years later, the Bubye Valley Conservancy now boasts one of Zimbabwe’s largest lion populations, with close to 500 lions, at one of the highest densities in Africa. It is also no coincidence that the Bubye Valley Conservancy protects the world’s third largest black rhino population and is home to important populations of many African wildlife species. Scientific research is critical to understanding and managing these important wildlife populations.

Ouch! The BBC World Service is reporting that the Bubye Valley Conservancy lion raffle has been cancelled. Apparently, the BVC folded "like a cheap suit" when confronted by the bunny huggers. Another major victory for the rabid anti-hunters. Oh well, where's my ole squirrel rifle?

The Raffle was to BENEFIT the Bubye Research and was being offered by Martin Nel Safaris.

http://martinnelsafaris.com/raffle-tickets/

I have sent an email to Martin asking about whether he is proceeding with it.
He is off in the US, so not sure when he will get the email.

I just revisited the BVC's Facebook page and deleted my post commending them for their ongoing wildlife conservation initiatives. Bowing to pressure from the rabid anti-hunters provides the anti's with another major victory, emboldens them, and advances their agenda to ban all ethical and sustainable hunting. I wish the BVC the very best success as they continue to manage and protect Southern Africa's wildlife.

Last edited:
As per Lion Aid's Facebook:

NEWS JUST IN!!! Bubye Raffle to hunt a lion has been cancelled!!

We have just received a phone call from the BBC World Service to say that Bubye Valley Conservancy have informed them that the raffle to hunt a lion has now been cancelled.

We have yet to receive any confirmation of this from Bubye but we can already see that the news about the raffle is no longer visible on their home page.

VICTORY FOR CONSERVATION!!

I have sent an email to Martin asking about whether he is proceeding with it.
He is off in the US, so not sure when he will get the email.

The reply:

It has been removed and discontinued.

Best Regards
Martin

The reply:

It has been removed and discontinued.

Best Regards
Martin

Mr. Brickburn, thanks for the confirmation. Happy New Year to you and your family. Cheers!

What Lion Aid, Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, and their ilk fail to realize (or understand) is that the BVC has an annual lion quota. Even though the raffle has been cancelled, the BVC will sell their lion quota to big game hunters (albeit at a reduced price due to existing importation bans). As per the BVC's website: "From the original 17 animals present in 1999, the Bubye Valley Conservancy lion population was estimated to be approximately 280 individuals in 2009, and has continued to grow. Today it is estimated that there are nearly 500 lions roaming the Conservancy, which is of concern to management and conservationists alike because of the negative impact that these super predators can have on just about all other animal populations, including those of predators." At least with the proposed raffle, the successful ticket holder had the option to either harvest one male lion or tranquilize/collar one male lion (and the BVC's lion quota reduced accordingly). The male lion that was allegedly "saved" by the anti-hunters is now a "dead lion walking" regardless of the rhetoric and congratulatory back slapping coming from the rabid anti-hunters.

Last edited:
Out of sight, out of mind.

The male lion that was allegedly "saved" by the anti-hunters is now a "dead lion walking" regardless of the rhetoric and congratulatory back slapping coming from the rabid anti-hunters.

That pretty much sums it up!

From the Toronto star via the Liberals at MSN.

A safari company has cancelled a controversial raffle that offered hunters the chance to kill a lion at a conservation area in Zimbabwe.

Martin Nel Safaris had been selling 100 tickets at $1,500 each for the chance to win an 18-day safari in the Bubye Valley Conservancy.

The winner would have been chosen during a draw at a Safari Club International convention in Las Vegas on Feb. 5. He or she could choose between killing a lion or taking photos as a male lion was collared for research.

“The whole idea of it was to actually raise money for conservation,” said Martin Nel, who said he decided to cancel the raffle on Sunday. “Through irresponsible reporting, it’s been blown out of proportion. That is why it’s been removed.”

“People have asked me to take it off so I’ve taken it off,” he said.

The raffle drew criticism after media reports linked it to the Wildlife Conservation Research Unit (WildCRU), an Oxford University research project.

WildCRU had collared and studied Cecil, the lion whose death at the hands of an American dentist sparked a global outcry.

BBm5qM7.img
© REX Features Cecil the Black maned Lion on the plains in Hwange National Park pictured on 18 November 2012 July 2015 American dentist W. Palmer killed Cecil the lion with a bow and arrow during… The raffle “takes lion trophy hunting to a new low,” lion conservation group LionAid said.

“We do hope that Oxford University’s WildCRU will reconsider their response to this raffle and publicly condemn it as it will occur in one of WildCRU’s lion research project areas.”

For its part, WildCRU said it was “completely unaware of the initiative and are not party to it,” in a statement posted on its website.

“We have been asked whether WildCRU endorses the proposal to auction a lion hunt and whether, if it were offered, we would accept a donation arising from such an auction; the answer to both questions is no.”

Neena Gill, a member of the European Parliament for West Midlands in the U.K., also commented on the controversy: “‘win a lion’ scandalous example of how precious #wildlife squandered. #EU needs to help tackle #trophyhunting,” she wrote on Twitter.

Martin Nel Safaris said the money raised would have benefited the Bubye Valley Conservancy Zimbabwe’s lion research program. According to his website, Nel has organized safaris within the conservancy since 2010.

In a statement on its website, the conservancy said the raffle “was the sole initiative of a professional hunter who has dedicated his career to conservation and the better understanding of wildlife.”

It said the conservancy is “honoured that the professional hunters who work here would spend their personal time and effort independently attempting to raise funds that will ensure continued unbiased research.”

The group said the raffle had nothing to do with WildCRU, which was initiated in the conservancy area in 2009.

The death of Cecil the lion sparked a debate last July over regulated trophy hunting across Africa. Some argue that killing wild animals helps protect the various species’ and boosts local economies, while others dispute how much local communities truly benefit.

On its website, the conservancy said nearly 500 lion currently call the conservancy home, “which is of concern to management and conservationists alike because of the negative impact that these super predators can have on just about all other animal populations, including those of predators.”

But Johnny Rodrigues, chairman of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, strongly disagrees that hunting is necessary to protect animal populations.

“It just doesn’t make sense. These animals, if they’re left alone, they will manage themselves well without human interference. They were here before humans and they should remain so,” Rodrigues told the Star in a telephone interview.

He called the raffle “disgusting” and “sick” and said he had hoped that hunting and conservation groups would have stopped killing lions for trophies after Cecil’s death.

“Why are they doing this? It’s very shocking,” Rodrigues said. “All this has to stop. We have to bring in new laws and people shouldn’t make money at the expense of the animals.”

Attachments

• BBm5qM7.img.jpeg
    BBm5qM7.img.jpeg
    6.3 KB · Views: 90
And so how will the Conservancy manage the population? Mr Rodriguez does not realize there are 7 Billion people competing for space with these animals on this planet? Maybe not on whatever planet he is on...at least the Star reported the "irresponsible reporting" as quoted by Mr. Nel.

Thanks Brent, good old Johnny...trophy hunters bad, anti hunters good. No one should make money off wildlife....what a moron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!