Browning 1885 Highwall

Peter Larsson

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Nordisk safari klubb,Riksjägarna,Svenska Jagareförbundet.
Hunted
South Afrika,Tunisia,Russia,Latvia, Estonia,Sweden,Namibia.
I have a Browning 1885 Highwall in 45-70 made in 1996 that that
I handload ammo for.
The question is:
1. How hard can I load for this gun?
Is it as strong as Ruger No1 or should i stay with loads for mordern lever actions?
2.Are all of these rifles made in Japan by Miroku?
Cant find any markings on it that indicates that it was made by them.
Dont think there are many of these guns i Sweden and it is hard to get info.

They are not as strong as a Ruger No 1, work your hold up and watch for pressure signs

Hi Peter Larsson,

I agree with Spooksar that the Highwall action is not quite as strong as the Ruger No1 but, few rifle actions are.
The No1 is one of the strongest non-custom rifle actions ever produced.
Furthermore, I will say that the Highwall is plenty strong enough for the warmest loads intended for the Marlin and 1886 Browning/Winchester actions.
Very likely your shoulder will begin to complain before your rifle will.
But as Spooksar said, watch for pressure signs when working up your hand-loads, as you would with any self-loaded ammunition.
I once owned a Merkel rifle that showed very high pressure with the exact ammunition, (factory loaded) that Merkel claimed it had been regulated with - Federal brand 300 grain round nose.

Too much pressure is too much pressure.
No matter how strong the rifle action is, you can loose an eye or damage some internal parts of any rifle with "hot loads".

I really like the Browning Highwall rifles (also the Lowwall in smaller calibers) and I am surprised that they are not more popular than they are, even here in the US.
One of my friends in Wyoming has a Browning Lowwall in .22 Hornet and I have tried to get it from him, when he lived up here where I live but, he will not sell it.

Perhaps the answer to where they are made is contained in some rifle forum outside of this one but it for sure that I do not know the answer.
I had always thought they were made by Miroku but I do know if that is a fact or not.
Once I owned a Browning/Miroku Model 1895 lever action in .30-40 Krag and it was very well made, as well as quite accurate.
My brother in law owns a Miroku (not imported by Browning) over-under shotgun and it is very well made also.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Thank you for the answers!
I have some ammo left since I had an Baikal doublerifle.
That one was only made for blackpowder like loads.
Think that will work on our wildboars that I have in mind for
my Highwall.
I have seen pictures of Browning highwalls that was marked made
in japan or Miroku or something on the barrel.
Mine is marked:Browning Arms Company Morgan,Utah & Montreal P.Q.
I also have a Miroku 3800 shotgun in 20cal,it is a nice gun,even if there is not
much use for shotguns were I hunt.
It would be nice with a Low wall in a smaller calibre but i have a Sauer Tell in 22K-hornet
so I have to stick with that one.

Hi Peter Larsson,

I agree with Spooksar that the Highwall action is not quite as strong as the Ruger No1 but, few rifle actions are.
The No1 is one of the strongest non-custom rifle actions ever produced.
Furthermore, I will say that the Highwall is plenty strong enough for the warmest loads intended for the Marlin and 1886 Browning/Winchester actions.
Very likely your shoulder will begin to complain before your rifle will.
But as Spooksar said, watch for pressure signs when working up your hand-loads, as you would with any self-loaded ammunition.
I once owned a Merkel rifle that showed very high pressure with the exact ammunition, (factory loaded) that Merkel claimed it had been regulated with - Federal brand 300 grain round nose.

Too much pressure is too much pressure.
No matter how strong the rifle action is, you can loose an eye or damage some internal parts of any rifle with "hot loads".

I really like the Browning Highwall rifles (also the Lowwall in smaller calibers) and I am surprised that they are not more popular than they are, even here in the US.
One of my friends in Wyoming has a Browning Lowwall in .22 Hornet and I have tried to get it from him, when he lived up here where I live but, he will not sell it.

Perhaps the answer to where they are made is contained in some rifle forum outside of this one but it for sure that I do not know the answer.
I had always thought they were made by Miroku but I do know if that is a fact or not.
Once I owned a Browning/Miroku Model 1895 lever action in .30-40 Krag and it was very well made, as well as quite accurate.
My brother in law owns a Miroku (not imported by Browning) over-under shotgun and it is very well made also.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
The high wall is not as strong as the Ruger No1 but is still a very strong action that is chambered for some pretty high intensity cartridges like the 22/250.
As everybody says work up loads carefully. The Marlins are capable of handling the 44,000 cup developed by the 444 marlin whilst the high wall handles the the 50,000 plus cup of modern cartridges.

Velo Dog the low wall does make up into a beautiful small caliber rifle.
Mine is an original low wall made in 1891 with the original half round half octagonal barrel sleeved to take the 22K Hornet. The timber is from Luxus walnut in the USA and is exhibition grade curcasin walnut.
All the work was done by my gunsmith Rob Spittles in Rylestone.
Try not to fall in love with it to much Greg
Cheers mate Bob
20200201_135424.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smithcaterine92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg