BRNO ZKK 602 .375H&H Hunt

DaneNav

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Well I've begun the Hunt for a .375H&H. I'd like to get the BRNO ZKK 602. I know I can find a CZ 550 new without too much effort. However this is a hunt. A hunt for something is always a lot more fun than seeing it and taking it.
I have heard that the Whithrow Express is a great find as well but I have not hear the consistent praise for the Whithrow as the BRNO and CZ get.
The goal is to find the 602 for a good price, hopefully a safe queen. Then do any required work prior to Namibia in 2018.
My hunt to SA introduced me to the CZ550 .357H&H. The praise the cal received by the PH intrigued me to look into it further. The praise the BRNO and CZ receives online has me sold.
Hopefully there is a pristine Canadian safe queen out there.
Once I find the stick, then it's the ammo search.

Good luck in your search! I'm sure a few guys on here know where some are hiding

Hopefully a Canadian has one set aside that will allow it to see the range and Africa.

Ok, so I have found a BRNO ZKK602 in Canada made in 87. 60 rounds down the tube. No rear peep sight. What kind of price is fair for this rifle?

Last edited:
CZ are great rifles in any caliber 375HH included, but there are quite a few Guys on this site who own and love their Whitworths myself included, also the weight savings between the two may be a consideration when choosing

A suggestion: get the action tuned for better feeding and get the model 70 Winchester style safety for it. Warne QD rings and a 4x scope and you've got a gun ready for all occasions.

I see 602's anywhere from 700-1200 without glass on them. There is a nice looking rifle on GB for a 950 starting bid.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/590301519

There are a few on there right now, may give you an idea of value as to the condition you are looking at.
Cheers,
Cody

Without visually inspecting the rifle $800 - $900CDN if in good condition. I wouldn't pay any more than that. If I were to sell mine I would be around $800 due to a couple of aggressive rocks that attacked the rifle and left a small ding or two in the stock. If they throw in the rings add another $50. All depends on what she looks like.

I'm hearing similar values via friends. Is there any quality difference between this 1987 build and an older one, let's also consider a new 550.

I'm hearing similar values via friends. Is there any quality difference between this 1987 build and an older one, let's also consider a new 550.
I like the older style myself. It looks classier. The newer CZ actions are a bit smoother and the wood can be prettier. I have 4 BRNO's and several CZ's. The BRNO actions were a bit rough but I just worked the action while watching TV. Drove my mum nuts! Bought the ZKK 602 375H&H rifle when I was 18 and still have it.
I will say however the new Win M70's are nice. I really like the Alaskan series. Action is nice an smooth and the trigger is awesome! I would tend to agree with those om multiple forums around the US and Canada that the latest version of the m70 has got to be the best.
I would suggest the best thing for you to do is to go "shoulder" a few rifles and see how they feel.
Haven't had much experience with the Whitworths although a guy had one at the range the other day in 375H&H. Nice rifle.

Hi guys, I found out that this 1987 602 that unblocking at has a crack in the fire stock.
If I purchase I'm thinking a stock replacement is in order. Correct?
If so I need your help to find the correct stock and set up. What would you do?
These 602's are getting hard to find.

Hi guys, I found out that this 1987 602 that unblocking at has a crack in the fire stock.
If I purchase I'm thinking a stock replacement is in order. Correct?
If so I need your help to find the correct stock and set up. What would you do?
These 602's are getting hard to find.
You might call Triple River Gunsmithing, they do custom work on CZ and may have a take off stock that will work or have an upscale stock available

Thanks for the lead on the stock. I'll try them.

Dane

You might call Triple River Gunsmithing, they do custom work on CZ and may have a take off stock that will work or have an upscale stock available

Thanks for the lead on the stock. I'll try them.

Dane
Do that Harlan isn't much of a talker, i think his Daughter helped one of the members on this Site

I'm still looking for the right one. Patience.

They aren't really much to look at. The 602 has a backwards safety and the trigger is inferior to a new 550 as is the wood, the recoil lug, and the crossbolts.

Why not buy any of them, regardless of condition, new or used, send it to triple river, get their Mauser 3 position safety, action and feed work, barrel band, cut and crown and trigger job? Add action bedding and for price of rifle and around $850 in smithing work you have a very durable Safari rifle.

That's all in somewhat of the plan but first I need the base rifle to start with. I'm in no rush so paying top dollar for a base rifle in less than 7-8 out of ten condition doesn't make sense.
I don't need the rifle, I just want it. Lol. I need to be patient.

DaneNav,

The point is it don't matter. Buy a POS for full price. Condition is irrelevant.

You're getting a new stock. New bedding. Recut and recrown of the barrel. Action and feed work. New model 70 type safety. Barrel band and then a reblue.

Everything will be better than new when done and original condition (within reason) is all going to be removed / replaced.

Yes but I am frugal or cheap as my wife refers to it.
The hunt is always the best part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg