Bringing home primitive weapons and souvenirs

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by cptkirk, Feb 19, 2014.

1. cptkirk

cptkirk AH Member

Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA and Canada
    So I am bored and trying to come up with a good question to ask. This may be a lame question but it is something I have always liked to look at. I have always wanted to have some items like hand made bows, arrows, knives, spears and such to hang in my man cave. Are items like these available for purchase in the RSA, and if so any problems with getting them home. I have some American Indian items like arrow heads and stone club heads from around my Dads place in Kentucky and from Missouri and think it would be neat to get some items from Africa. I am not talking museum pieces, just what some poor little guy in the bush would use if he did not have access to a firearm.
  2. bluey

bluey GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers
    Hunted:
    australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)
    Good thread,mate
    My wife ask this at xmas time
    If we stumble across any , she will be hell bent on getting them home
    A shield would be cool ,too
  3. hunting4sanity

hunting4sanity AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RMEF, DU, SCI, NRA
    A good friend of mine, whose collection of African animals and weapons I've always admired, said he brings things home without any issues and if he's trying to get something home that is too large he has had it shipped with his animals. Not sure if sending items with the animals is an easy issue or not, but I've seen some great taxidermy incorporating shields, etc. and hoping to try something similar.
  4. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
  5. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    I searched out Authentic items. It is hard work. It continues to be hard work.

Zulu Assegais, Knobkerrie's, etc

San , Bows, Arrows, digging sticks, etc.

Tourist trinkets from along the road are easy to find.

Bringing it home:

Make sure you know what "it" is made of. Wood, Raw Hide, Bone, Elephant hair, turtle, etc. etc.
    Can be big issues, confiscations, fines.

I brought my items into Canada as ART. I had no issues.

Spears, arrows, etc. Not even an eyebrow.

One container with me as extra baggage.
    Some items in my trophy crate.
  6. poprivit

poprivit AH Member

My Photos:
    I've brought back to Las Vegas a bow, arrows, spear and club. No one batted an eye.
    However, when I brought my S&W 500 through Atlanta from Zimbabwe, the dolt at Customs wanted to check the serial number (inside the crane) and couldn't for the life of him figure out how to open the cylinder. I pointed and started to show him

"Don't touch the gun!"

So, we got to play games for 15 minutes. As I had three hour layover, I decided just to stand back and watch.

This Dolt had a sidearm, but semi auto. Well trained, eh what?
  7. joester

joester AH Veteran

Member of:
    No. Amer. Moose Foundation, Mule Deer Found; RMEF (life Member), SCI, NRA, RGS, NWTF, PF, DU, Izaac Walton League, Nat'l. Trappers Assoc.
    Hunted:
    US / Canada/Namibia/Moz/Zim
    I've had good luck bringing back such items from Africa. Knives, mostly - I like to go to street vendors who are selling their own stuff rather than African versions of big box stores. Often, knives are not displayed, but just ask, and guys will be showing you their crude but well made wares, often with hand carved wooden sheaths. I buy the mostly for young hunters back in the US as souvenirs. Mostly the blades are made from truck parts.

I recently brought back a few handmade axes w/ironwood handles from Moz. w/ no problems. I'm having some confiscated gin traps ( ie: handmade legholds) shipped back w/ my skins/ skulls. The importer was at first unsure of the legality, but when I sent proof that such traps are sold " over the countere" here in PA, she said, no worries, mate!
  8. Adrian

Adrian BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    England
    I brought a few pieces back from Kenya to the U.K. without any issues. Three small shields, four short spears and a six foot spear that broke down.
    Nothing ancient or unusual, typical tourist pieces bought or swapped with the Maasi after a traditional dance at our hotel.

Mind you, that was back in 1998 and things have changed now......
  9. observe

observe CONTRIBUTOR AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SAHGCA [Skilled Hunter qualified-Cum Laude], Handgun Hunters Assosiation of SA, Bowhunting, SAGA, Provincial Heavy caliber target shooting teams, Bisley qualified, Army sharpshooter rifle & pistol qualified, ...
    Hunted:
    R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
    I've just flown out of the RSA yesterday with [amongst other things....] a 7' sheath knife and a 'ketty' with pepper-spray balls in my sealed luggage,
    with a very good and beautifully made traditional 'knop kiere' and 1/4 sized Zulu shield bought on the Johannesburg airport as hand luggage without any problem.
    There are many many different tanned hides etc., painted ostrich eggs on warthog tusk stands, tusk or horn key holders and walking sticks, various horn ornaments etc for sale on the airport itself--some of them of a very high quality!
    [At least 4 different shops selling these items were visited on the airport]

There shouldn't be any problem as long as it is in your bag in the hold down below.
    [Just to be save,'glad wrap' all your bags before putting it on the airplane.]

It is nice to have these traditional or primitive African goodies around at home!

By all means, buy it 'outside' as well and secure it in your big suit case. :bighello:
  10. WALKINGPREY2

WALKINGPREY2 AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Argentina, Virginia and North Carolina (USA)
    I had three ostrich eggs that I purchased at JO airport confiscated by U.S. Customs. It infuriated me to no end because they were empty art pieces.....not something I picked up fresh off a farm to bring back. Yet....I could turn around and BUY the same eggs from some company out of England and have them delivered here in the states no problem. Such is the wacked out U.S. government. One happy news though....they didn't get the porcupine quills and the guinea fowl feathers I saved from the hunts that I had tightly wrapped and put in my check-in luggage. Bwahahahaha. LOL I agree with Brickburn....know what the items are made of and check with Customs.
  11. rooihond

rooihond GOLD SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Thanks for the thread and the informative responses. Bringing back souvenirs will be part of the experience for me and my girlfriend on our first safari.