James Lizamore

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SAHGCA, CHASA, PHASA,
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana
Hi Guys

I have been reading a lot about legalizing the Rhino horn trade, and things in South Africa are coming to a boiling point, as there is no consensus between various parties combating the poaching and illegal horn trade.

This was the most comprehensive article i could find: http://conservationaction.co.za/rec...en-to-court-over-rhino-horn-trade-moratorium/

The newest solution that the environmental activist could come up with is that there should a additional tax levied on tourist visiting South Africa. According to them these funds will be placed in a empowerment fund to combat poaching. Now this leads to the following problems:

1. South Africa has had a huge decline in international tourist visiting the country since the new visa regulations came into effect.

2. The new tourist tax (only speculation at this point in time) will be levied by the government. South Africa is struggling with a MAJOR corruption problem within the government, now ask the question how much of the tourist levy will end up combating poaching.

3. In the Kruger National Park currently the South African National Defensive Force, the South African Police Force, SanParks, and various elite anti poaching units are fighting a losing battle against poaching. The syndicates from the east fund these poaching operations in dollars and their currency which is much stronger than the South African rand, now how much must this levy be to match this syndicate funding???

Even the park officials and rangers have been involved in poaching and the situation is so dire that the rangers and guides in the Kruger National Park and the Greater Kruger is not allowed to report any rhino sightings over the radio in fear that suspected poachers are listening to the location of the spotted rhino.

In my option the only way to spot the current slaughter of rhinos is to legalize the trade. There reasons for my decision is as follows:

Currently the only way that the syndicates and consumers in the east can get hold of rhino horn is poaching and stealing it from the stockpiles help by SanParks, the Government and private individuals. Legalizing the trade will flood the market with tons and tons of piled up rhino horn that is currently in possession of the various stakeholders. In my opinion this will lead to the following:

1. The demand for rhino horn is currently far outweighing the supply and the only way to satisfy the demand is by means of more and intensive poaching. Flooding the market with legal rhino horn will bring the demand down in a drastic way, if not completely satisfying it for a certain period of time. From there on the demand can be satisfied by means of the rhino owners and breeders harvesting the horn and selling the horn. But most importantly saving the rhino from painful and gruesome death.

2. This will lead to that the poachers on the ground will not be offered money to poach rhinos as the horn can be obtained legally. Thus fewer rhinos poached.

3. The price for rhino horn will drop as the demand sets the price and if there is a lesser demand and a constant supply of rhino horn, making the poaching part less lucrative. But the increase supply might possibly lead to a increase demand due to the fact that the middle class and the poor might be able to afford the horn as a result of the price drop.

4. The horn trade will in my opinion if legalized will very much be governed by the normal supply and demand nature added the syndicate or poacher that still turn to the illegal poaching side.

This is only my opinion (and might be wrong) and would like the input of others as this is a matter that dearly matters to us as hunters and conservationist.

My Best

James Lizamore

James, I fully support the legal trade in rhino horn. The ban isn't working, I can't see legalizing would cause more damage. Tourist tax will hurt the country even more.We all know the money won't end up helping the rhino.

Geezzzzz, I ve been saying that forever! Same with ivory! Just legalize the damn thing and end poaching. Instead they destroy the confiscated ivory??? Anyone here see something wrong with this? You gotta be a damn fool to destroy ivory instead of selling it on the open market and using the money for conservation. Man this is simple stuff.

I agree johnnyblues. And in my opinion the only way that it will really work and be effective is if the profits from the legal selling of the horns stays in the hands of the private individuals who can effectively manage and contribute towards conservation.

Regards

James Lizamore

I agree johnnyblues. And in my opinion the only way that it will really work and be effective is if the profits from the legal selling of the horns stays in the hands of the private individuals who can effectively manage and contribute towards conservation.

Regards

James Lizamore
Agreed. Let the Gov't put a tax on it. That way the Government can't get their greedy hands on it which will lead to more problems as to where is the money?

1. ......... Flooding the market with legal rhino horn will bring the demand down in a drastic way, if not completely satisfying it for a certain period of time. .................

3. The price for rhino horn will drop as the demand sets the price and if there is a lesser demand and a constant supply of rhino horn, making the poaching part less lucrative. But the increase supply might possibly lead to a increase demand due to the fact that the middle class and the poor might be able to afford the horn as a result of the price drop. .................

Ok, I'll play devils advocate. Although you have started yourself with items 1 & 3

That period of time demand would come down!? How great is the demand??

Populations of the Demand side:
1.357 Billion Chinese
67 Million in Thailand
89.7 Million in Vietnam
24.1 Million in Yemen
127.3 Million in Japan
50.22 Million in Korea

What is the wage required in relation to price for a person living in poverty?

30 to 50% of the folks are unemployed.

RSA
52 Million population
53 % Poverty Ratio
Average annual income (Black) R60,000

Mozambique
25.83 Million population
54 % Poverty ratio

Brickburn, understand your point, but the ban isn't helping, so just legalize it, can't do more harm.

My personal opinion is that the trade should be legalized, but this is a lesser of two evils... as long as there is a huge demand outstripping supply... there will always be poaching of the rhino horn.

On one hand, if the trade is legalized, the supply will be more readily available and thus lead to lower prices... making it harder and less economically viable for poachers. This is good.

On the other hand, as things stand now there is a complete ban on rhino horn, thus any person caught with it is immediately processed for illegal trade/ownership.
If there is a legal process to obtain paperwork, especially in corruption rich countries, these "legal" documents proving the horn is "legitimate", even if it is still poached, will become more easily available and lead to authorities having a very hard time of identifying the poachers.

I will support the trade in rhino horn, it will encourage more people to breed rhino and it will bolster the current breeders/owners financially enough to want to breed more and this is what will save the rhino's.
In my opinion, there will never be enough resources for anti poaching if the trade of horn remains illegal to save the rhino's, it doesn't matter where the money comes from, be it tourism, hunting or a combination, the illegal trade will decimate the population until there is no rhino horn left. (and then they will move onto something else)

But hey, what do i know... i'm passing time and counting down the minutes until beer o'clock!!! :D Beers:

Pete, you one behind..

Brickburn, understand your point, but the ban isn't helping, so just legalize it, can't do more harm.

As devils advocate I just wanted to point out that "market forces" are not going to be a panacea. As noted from the stats above.

0.55% world population US & Canada
24% world population Rhino horn consumers.

Obviously, private ownership of Rhino was facilitated in RSA and the populations exploded. The "cost" of keeping Rhino has increased to such an extent that many Rhino are just sold and people get out of the business instead of taking the loss.

Media focused "burning stunts" were a lovely idea to promote awareness ages ago. Now it is just a useless repeat of the stunt without purpose. i.e.. Anyone care about who's Twerking this week. We are on to the next fad already.
Cecil got more bloody coverage for longer than any one of these stunts.

If selling the horn provides a few bucks that would actually make its way to conservation efforts, I'm in.

I am just not going to "drink the Kool-aid" (sad twisted Jonestown reference) that the market will take care of the Rhino and obliterate poaching. Too many poor people and too many folks with money.
We have to place a higher value on the critters than the customers do.

Hunter's can help by supporting the brave soles who's properties are housing these incredible beasts.
Corey Knowlton did "put his money where his mouth is."

http://www.africahunting.com/thread...conservation-by-hunting-corey-knowlton.23933/

All valid points. Seems to me there is just not an answer. Corruption is rampant. Demand is out of control. Hunters can't make a dent to help it seems. I hate to say this but it looks like the rhino may soon become a dinosaur. Elephant next?

It is a very complex problem and we are not the only ones in the fight.

This

It is a very complex problem and we are not the only ones in the fight.

And this...

No simple answers here. And I don't think that making trade legal will solve everything, but at least it will give legal value to the horn and reason to protect the rhino and grow their numbers.

Will there still be illegal trade? Sure - as long as their is money to be made. But, at least ranchers will have a reason to keep some around and maybe one day the demand will die down for whatever reason.

What happened to the idea of putting poison in the horn to kill the end consumers.

Why hasn't this worked to reduce demand?

Wheels, the South African legislation is of such a nature, should you poison a horn, and fatalities follow, you will be charged with murder. Yes it it totally insane but we live in Africa and if your skin is white in South Africa and a farmer you will be crucified. Point in case South African farmer and son was just sentenced to 24years and 18 years for murder after a farm worker died of electrocution while trying break into there farm property. The reason they did not warn him the fence was 220 volts... Corrupt system

Wheels, the South African legislation is of such a nature, should you poison a horn, and fatalities follow, you will be charged with murder. Yes it it totally insane but we live in Africa and if your skin is white in South Africa and a farmer you will be crucified. Point in case South African farmer and son was just sentenced to 24years and 18 years for murder after a farm worker died of electrocution while trying break into there farm property. The reason they did not warn him the fence was 220 volts... Corrupt system
Completely insane.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sad. The laws have changed quite a bit in 30 years it seems.

Wouldn't the end consumer be Chinese/Vietnamese etc., ingesting the horn. Doesn't seem like much of an issue in RSA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross