Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Bowhunting Warthog Shot Placement

Post your questions, comments or pictures relating to bowhunting shot placement.

Bowhunting Warthog
warthog_shot_placement_bow.jpg

Bowhunting Warthog
warthog_perfect_shot_bow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not mine, but an excellent series of action warthog bow hunting photos

43753381_1242705005871926_1832729194505699328_n.png
44768072_336235560437801_7830556499729448960_n.jpg
44770207_683442288685266_6309702245139087360_n.jpg

No they have red meat and do not taste like pork at all

Your Professional Hunter will guide you on this matter. Trust his judgment and do your best to put your shot where he recommends. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with the shot, do not take it.
Africa is the survival of the fittest. Game is tough and dies harder than similar size game in America. A lung shot is a lung shot, but trust us, these critters are extra tough. The vitals of most African plains game sit further forward in their chest cavity than American big game. Pick a spot several inches forward of where you would on a similar sized North American game animal. Come straight up the front leg on a broadside shot. The shoulder bones angle forward above the leg. Quartering away shots work great too. Pick your shot angles and distance carefully. You haven’t seen “jump the string” yet! Quieten your bow noise as much as possible. Use quality broad heads and have them razor sharp. All wounded or lost game will cost you, so please consider the stress of anxiety, jet lag, stretching your personal range limits, etc. Don’t take a twenty-five yard shot when the animal might come considerably closer. You’ll get plenty of close broadside shots. Many shot opportunities will be around fifteen yards. We trust you will be honest enough to admit to poor hits if/when you are sitting alone. Many poorly hit animals can be found. Avoid awkward situations by confessing the truth of poor hits when you are alone. We want to help.
And by all means, go to the range and practice. Even the most experienced shooter needs to hone his skills. Ammunition or broadheads is cheap compared to the cost of the safari, so practice, practice, practice!
An excellent book, “Perfect Shot” by Kevin Robertson, a veterinarian and professional hunter, is available. It details shot placement on just about every species of African game that you might encounter.
Study species available and know what they look like or download our Best Bow hunt VOL 8 DVD as it focuses on this and shot placement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Volume 8 DVD is a great resource, love mine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinagqe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber