Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA, South Africa
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I've been fighting flood waters all week up here in North Dakota - looks like we finally got it under control.

Right now I am planning on trying to take kudu, gemsbuck, red hartebeest, blue wildebeest, blesbuck, implala and possibly an eland and/or zebra.

My primary bow will be a Bowtech Commander (longer ATA version of General), with a Limb Driver arrow rest and a Spot-Hogg SDP with wrap sight. My back-up is a Hoyt RazorTec. Both bows are set at about 70#. I plan on using Carbon Express Maxima Hunter arrow shafts, fletched with Blazer vanes and tipped with 100 grain Shuttle T-Lock broadheads.

I think this set-up should be good for just about everything I plan on taking with the exception of the eland. I was going to discuss this further with my PH as the trip gets closer.

Any comments on the set-up would be appreciated.

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I've been fighting flood waters all week up here in North Dakota - looks like we finally got it under control.

Right now I am planning on trying to take kudu, gemsbuck, red hartebeest, blue wildebeest, blesbuck, implala and possibly an eland and/or zebra.

My primary bow will be a Bowtech Commander (longer ATA version of General), with a Limb Driver arrow rest and a Spot-Hogg SDP with wrap sight. My back-up is a Hoyt RazorTec. Both bows are set at about 70#. I plan on using Carbon Express Maxima Hunter arrow shafts, fletched with Blazer vanes and tipped with 100 grain Shuttle T-Lock broadheads.

I think this set-up should be good for just about everything I plan on taking with the exception of the eland. I was going to discuss this further with my PH as the trip gets closer.

Any comments on the set-up would be appreciated.

That looks like a good set up.

What is your draw length?

Make sure your arrow weight will be between 450 to 500gr.

I use 125gr Slick Trick standard broad heads but have heard good things from the T- Locks

I used blazer vanes but I have better results using 4 inch VMax Vanetech fetching.

Gerhard,

My draw length is 30.5". My total arrow weight is about 430 grains right now. 125 grain heads did not tune nearly as well with my set-up, but I've still got a year to play with it yet. Thanks for the advice.

nd

Gerhard,

My draw length is 30.5". My total arrow weight is about 430 grains right now. 125 grain heads did not tune nearly as well with my set-up, but I've still got a year to play with it yet. Thanks for the advice.

nd

430gr is not bad.

But then you have to make sure that you stay away from any heavy bone.

550gr would be ideal.

Remember that you dont need speed from your set up but deep penetration.

Also 500gr to 550gr arrows make your bow a lot quieter as well.

ndbwhunter i hope all your belongings survived the flooding.

I always shoot a lighter draw wieght and heavy arrows.

My main bow will be a matthews Switchback set at 60 pounds
trophy ridge drop away rest
HHA one pin adjustable sight
Beman ICS hunter arrows
100 grain montec broadheads for large and thick skinned animals
100 grain thunder heads for Impalla,springbok etc.

My arrow wieght comes out at 455 grains

I have killed several wild boars 200 pounds or better with this set up. If i can penetrate through a 1.5" thick shield, shoulder muscle, break a rib pass through the other side and hang up with just the fletching stopping the arrows inside. I should be good to go on everything under Eland.

Thunder head,

Thanks for the concern about the flood. So far we are OK, but a second crest is coming on the river in town and I am spending Saturday and Sunday driving a Bobcat track loader filling in spots on the new dikes that the big equipment couldn't get to. Hopefully one more week of this and we'll be done.

It sounds like your set-up is pretty good. I too am a little concerned with my set-up on Eland, but I have a year to get the bugs worked out. So far, my set-up has only been tested on whitetails and mule deer, we don't have any hogs up here in ND. From what I've read, if I can get my arrow weight up about 25-50 grains I will be a little better off - if nothing else it will help my confidence.

nd

ndbwhnter,

Hope things have settled down in your town....

If you can get weight tubes for the arrows it will help a lot to get the weight where you want them to be.

Remember heavy arrow makes your bow shoot with a lot less noise.

If you can not get the arrows heavier hunt with the 430gr arrows but make sure you only take broad side or slightly quartering away shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois