Bowhunting Packing List?

dustyvarmint

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
I looked about and didn't see a bowhunting packing list here.

Anyone have one they'd share?

Thanks, dv

Hi there dustyvarmint,

This all depends on where you are going to hunt. For instance we have a bow shop on the farm and you will not need to take any bow spares with you. In South Africa it is quite easy to get spares for your bow or to help you with a bow, but as soon as you are crossing it's borders I will advice you to take a spare bow on your hunt.

List of things to remember

• Rifle or bow that you are the most comfortable with
• Bow must be minimum of 50#
• Enough bullets or arrows. Bullets +/- (60) Arrows and Broad heads +/- (18)
• Camera with spare batteries and spare memory card
• Video Camera optional
• Good set of Binoculars
• Your own personal medicine if applicable
• Sharp knife optional
• Sun Block
• Comfortable boots to hunt with. And a spare set
• Dark clothing (Brown or blue) or camouflage clothing. Please do not go and buy more if you have enough dark clothing
• Long pants and repellent spray to help prevent tick bite fever
• Bow hunters must bring a range finder
• A small back pack to put all your equipment in while hunting
• Tissues or wet wipes (one box)
• You will receive a cap and one shirt from Leeukop Safaris
• One warm jacket for a cold day
• A torch

Last but not least remember to enjoy your hunting experience with Leeukop Safaris!!!

Thanks, that gets me started.

happy hunting, dv

That should get you started.

Depending where you are hunting and what time of the year you might want to make sure you have enough warm clothing.

Layers concept works great as early morning and late afternoons can get very cold especially to and from the hides.

During the day it normally warms up real nice.

Last edited:
Check your PM's. I will send you the lists i send to my clients.

Thanks Tom.

Checking that stuff out Jerome. I figured you had that stuff somewhere here. I just didn't look in the right places.

happy hunting, dv

Packing list

Dustyvarmint,

Eventhough most items are covered by the list referred to by Jerome, there are a couple of items that I consider way more important than most of the others. And, that is a spare string and spare cable(s). If you accidently cut your string etc. with a broadhead on your first day, your trip is ruined. The spare string shoud be complete with a peep, nocking point and loop, and it should be shot enough shots on the bow so that it has settled.

To be able to replace a damaged string you need to bring a portable bow press. Very few outfitters have any archery tools in the camp, so this is absolutely vital. Another item that is nice to have is a spare release. The release can easily be lost, or forgotten out in the veld.

Do not bring too much underwear, socks and leisure clothing etc. Most outfitters offer daily laundry, so you won't have any problems.

Have a nice trip to the Dark Continent.

Under the Ultimate Safari Planning Guide, check out the Hunting Gear for Bow Hunters by clicking here.

Another couple of articles which might be of interest to you as part of your bowhunting packing list are:
Personal Items & Toiletries
Travel Documents & Money

Thanks Niel for your contribution.

Everyone please feel free to chime in as these lists is an ongoing collaboration, always trying to make them as complete as possible.

the "hunting gear for bow hunters" link is dead. Just an FYI Jerome

Last edited by a moderator:
the "hunting gear for bow hunters" link is dead. Just an FYI Jerome
All fixed. Much appreciate you letting me know! (y)

I will add one caveat to the list of bowhunting items as I'm making one myself for my trip to Namibia.

I had planned to take my portable bow press, but my new bow, PSE Dream Season Decree, is past parallel by more than 6 degrees. Portable bow presses will not work on most past parallel limb bows. Your only option in an emergency is to use a set of ratcheting straps to fix your bow. Risky, but if you have a mishap in Africa, then it would be worth it just to fix your bow. I'm pretty sure your PH will have a set of those lying around.

Here are some of my bow items I'm taking:
String serving - learn how to serve your string. You don't need a press for this.
D-loop material - You don't need a press for this either.
Torx or/and allen wrenches - My bow has both so I have to have them. Get smaller travel size wrenches.
Bow and arrow (string) level - This is in case your D-loop breaks or you have to reserve and reset your nock position. Makes life quick and easy
String separator - In case a peep flies out of the string
Spare springs for arrow rest - In case you have a drop away rest. D-loop can replace the trigger cable in case it breaks
Spare sight - In case you drop your bow and break the pins. Probably only happens with spot and stalk, but that's what I'm planning
Plenty of broadheads and/or blades - this all depends on the type of broadheads you're using. I put mine in a small Flambeau organizer tray with Zerust to prevent moisture from causing rust
Twice as many arrows as animals you plan to take
String wax
Machine oil for the axles - A little goes a long way
Spare release or release parts - This depends on your type of release
Spare string and/or cables - Again, only if you can press your bow
Field points for practice prior to hunt

Other items like rangefinders, binos and camera gear have already been stated. Good luck!

Regarding bow I think the best preparation for the hunt is to double check that high quality cables, string, d-loop, bow in general is in top condition. Don't take a bow with fuzzy strings to Africa, and make sure for example peep is properly tied in. Properly tied d-loop or peep will never fail.

I also try not leave my bow to common area in the camp or give it to anyone to carry.

Regarding bow I think the best preparation for the hunt is to double check that high quality cables, string, d-loop, bow in general is in top condition. Don't take a bow with fuzzy strings to Africa, and make sure for example peep is properly tied in. Properly tied d-loop or peep will never fail.

I also try not leave my bow to common area in the camp or give it to anyone to carry.
Never say never. That's when bad things happen.

I also take two bolts with rubber tubing on them to stick through the cams for string changing even works on past parallel bows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois