Bow hunting Crocodile and Hippo draw weights

Bsums

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
USA, Africa
I was having trouble finding this information on the recommended/requirements for using a bow for croc and hippo. Hoping someone here can give me some answers on recommended draw weight and arrow weight?

I would recommend a bow with a draw weigth of 80 lb, an arrow of 800gr and a broadhead of 220gr. This is not a hard and fast rule, but only a recommendation.

Thanks! Any bow recommendations? I was thinking maybe the mathews monster safaris http://mathewsinc.com/product/safari/

Do you have any info on elephant bow hunting? Bow hunting is pretty much limited to Zimbabwe or Mozambique for using a bow and are all non-exportable so I'd probably do a rifle Elephant hunt anyways if I ever get the chance. I think if I remember I'd need either 90lb or 100lb with a 1200g arrow and broad head weight.

One of my clients did an elephant bowhunt this year in Mozambique with another outfitter, I will get some info from him and forward it to you. Bows ,like rifles I believe is a personal choice. 90lb and 100 lb bows were the norm a few years ago, however with the technological changes that came into place todays 80lb bows shoots the same weight arrows at even better speeds than yesteryears higher poundage bows.

Thank you for the help!

Bsums, for elephant the hunter used a goldtip kinetic pro 200 arrow,2014 Easton arrow for a footer behind the broadhead, brass hits insert 100gr, weight tube 8gr per inch and put weed eater line inside the weight tube. Broadhead was VPA 325gr. The arrow weighed 1091grs. He was getting 207fps with a 80lb bow. Hope this helps.

My best advice will be to start with a Safaris company and PH that is familiar with bow hunting crocodile.
Not every one has done this, but most will say YES SURE NO PROBLEM.
It could and I will take a bet on it that things will go wrong if the Outfitter/PH has never done this before.

You need modern bow fishing equipment, to track and retrieve the Crocodile.
a Good bow setup with the right arrow and broad heard.
In Mozambique we used a Fishing arrow, braided line and float to deliver the first shot .

http://www.**NOT**PERMITTED**.net/graphics/photos_talltales/t_breen_bowfish5.jpg
Then got into a boat and pulled the Crocodile closer to the boat with the float and line.
Once we had the Crocodile's head out of the water the final arrow was shot behind the head. We used a G5 Montec broad head.
613694.jpg

How I will never do it
The best way to do it

Attachments

• 613694.jpg
    613694.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 514
  • t_breen_bowfish5.jpg
    t_breen_bowfish5.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 259
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks lbg, any recommendations on a fishing arrow and is the line/float something I bring or does the PH provide it?

Always welcome

I can't remember the exact make of the fishing arrow and float, but it was a kit we ordered from a bow shot and chartered in with the client. We provided everything.
Your PH should be able to pick these up at any well stocked Bow Shop or if you would have a chat with someone at yours.

I can go into some detail for you if you would like me to, I am in town tomorrow and will have plenty time to do so.

I'd love to get more details if it wouldn't be too much trouble. I couldn't find anything with the help of google but I figure something that is designed for alligators would work for a Croc. The second one down on this page is a bow kit for alligator that has arrows, line, and floats and if you think something like that would work for the first shot to hook a croc. http://www.sbtoutdoors.com/alligator_hunting_kits.htm

Ok I had a look at a Fishing arrow at our bow shop and it looks exactly like the one we used and the one in the picture above. All I could find on the label was
1390gr
3157KK
White Arrow
The kit in the link looks like the right stuff.
I would not use a fishing real though, only a spool to hold the line and make sure the line is strong enough.

You will have to get your Croc on bait and shoot at maximum 15 yards. Let it take the line and float then follow up.
I can remember that the first arrow was behind the shoulder, this will puncture the lung and then the Croc has to come up to breath often.
This is when you go after him with your other arrows.
For a float you can use a 2L soda bottle it will work just as good as any other float.

Hunting Hippo with a bow is some what like hunting Buffalo, Giraffe or Elephant.
Once again shot placement is the key so success.

I will use no other broad head that the 150gr (150gr for a reason) German Kinetic or Silver Flame
upload_2014-12-11_14-26-27.jpeg

a Total arrow weight of 750 to 850 grain max.
a Fast shooting bow like BowTec or Elite. 80lb +

To get some weight out of the arrow I used to use 6mm brake pipe tubing as an insert.
images

With this setup all you need is a PH that has done this before and a Hippo to kill.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.5 KB · Views: 246
Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice, it has always been a dream of mine to take a hippo with archery gear.

Hunting Hippo with a rifle has it's place but hunting one with a Bow is some what of a different story. With a rifle you can take the shot in or out of the water but with a bow it has to be out or in shallow waters.

I have seen much confusion on some of these subjects, it seems that even some outfitters don't understand the laws in there own country. Where can one bow hunt hippo and crocodile?

Very good question, thanks kal.
Although it's not impossible it is regarded illegal to bow hunt Crocodile or Hippo in South Africa.
Zambia is from what I have heard one of the best Bow hunting destinations for Hippo as well as Crocodile.

Mozambique and Zimbabwe is also legal and good for bow hunting as far as I know regarding Zimbabwe.
Mozambique I am 100% sure it is legal.

Just a bit of fun ! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE !
Glen

Bowhunting in Zimbabwe
- Class A Game
Bow Kinetic Energy 80 ft/lbs
Arrow Weight 700 grain
(Elephant, Hippo, Buffalo)
- Class B Game
Bow Kinetic Energy 77 ft/lbs
Arrow Weight 695 grain
Broadheads with only two cutting edges
(Lion, Giraffe, Eland)
- Class C Game
Bow Kinetic Energy 70 ft/lbs
Arrow Weight 618 grain
(Leopard, Crocodile, Kudu, Oryx / Gemsbok, Hartebeest, Wildebeest, Zebra, Nyala, Sable Antelope, Waterbuck, Tsessebe, etc.)
- Class D Game
Bow Kinetic Energy 56 ft/lbs
Arrow Weight 463 grain
(Warthog, Impala, Reedbuck, Sitatunga, Duiker, Steenbok, Jackal, Game Birds, etc.)

Bowhunting in Zimbabwe may only be done with compound bows. Bowhunting with recurve bows, longbows or crossbows is not permitted in Zimbabwe unless a special permit has been issued for which the safari operator must apply for six months prior to the start of the bow hunt. This special bowhunting permit comes at a substantial cost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg