Bow Case Looks Like Rifle Case

wapiti

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
My double bow case looks like a rifle case. If I put stickers on it saying "archery equipment" will it help to keep it from going with the rifles at J'berg airport? I will have a meet and greet service meeting us there.

Welcome to the forum Wapiti,
About your question, though one would think that stating its archery equipment that it would be able to be kept separate from the rifles. Discuss with your meet and greet company, they may be able to give you an answer

Wapiti,

Some airlines will automatically put a piece of tape on your case and write "bow & arrow" upon check-in. It's a good idea to do this.... I have never had a problem with them mistaking the case on the Africa side. On a couple occasions, I have had them send my bow case to the customs office upon return to the USA. This last trip in September, I left the tape on the case for the trip home, and had no issues.

It's a crap shoot.
Do the baggage handlers read the label or make an assumption.

I flew into Joberg last year with bow case that looked like a rifle case and I had put stickers on it that said "Archery Equipment" and it still ended up with the rifles. All I had to do was open it for them and show that I only had a bow in it and sign the book.

Same story. Last time I was bow hunting I had a case that looked like a bow case and I went to get my luggage and I got my suitcases off the luggage drop and found the place to the side was where the bows and oversized items would come out. Several people got their cases and nothing was there for me I asked the Delta people and they said all the cases were out. I thought how could have it got lost. Finally some one said go to the place the rifles were outside luggage claim they told me where to go. I came around the corner and there was the person that was there to pick me up. Since I was so late he thought I might have missed the flight. He knew where to go we looked in to the room and over against wall was my bow case. I get a luggage nylon belt in a bright color and put it around the case so it sticks out with all the cases. So it could end up there anyway.

My case does not look like a gun case (pole mountain double bow ), in Joberg I stood where I could see my check baggage and oversize baggage come off, you don't see many red pole mountain bow cases . the attendant put my bow case on the cart with the gun cases and I told her it was archery equipment, and she let me have the case. in Atlanta it went to gun room with out any choice.
And yes my case was marked archery equipment. Forrest

So it sounds like it is a crap shoot. What locks do you put on it? TSA or regular?

When I went to Namibia my bow case came out with the rifles .... they wouldn't let me have it till the could X-ray it . Then upon arrival back in Canada ...well that's a whole other story ....gotta love Customs ?
Glen

Also when I went to Namibia ,started in N.C. had everything checked thru to Namibia, my regular checked bag went on to Namibia but my bow case came off in Joberg , had to have it checked in gun room next morning and then it went to Namibia.
when we arrived in Namibia they ask if anyone had archery equipment, and just handed over the bow case.
Like Brickburn said it is a crap shoot. Forrest

So it sounds like it is a crap shoot. What locks do you put on it? TSA or regular?
I used TSA. TSA opened my bowcase leaving the US and arriving back in the US. They leave a paper notifying you that they inspected it.

"We're the government and we're here to help." Ever heard that phrase? What do you think is going to happen?

I took the advice of member @TOM and traveled with my archery gear in a soft sided drop bottom rolling duffel.

Zero issues over and back.

Regular locks! No one should be able to get inside your weapon case without you being present. I am a rifle person, but I'd still be rather upset if I found someone had been inside my bow case. I understand that regular luggage sometimes "needs" to be inspected by the airline, but weapons should only be done in the presence of the owner.

I get a luggage nylon belt in a bright color and put it around the case so it sticks out with all the cases.
I agree with you here. I put a red one around my checked bag. I obviously spotted it easily. I walked around the carousel and grabbed my stuff, B-line to the desk to continue my journey. I don't have enough patience to wait around all day. Plus, it gives me peace of mind that I'm less likely to have my stuff taken by another traveler.

I took the advice of member @TOM and traveled with my archery gear in a soft sided drop bottom rolling duffel.

Zero issues over and back.

Interesting that there was no damage

I was a little concerned about that too Charlie, having watched the baggage gorillas at work...

Luckily no damage. Not even a ding.

I bought and used some convoluted foam sheets ( the stuff that looks like egg crates) along with a Primos neoprene bow sling to protect the cams. Additional padding with clothing and I was good to go.

The non-camo duffel draws zero attention. I picked it up off the carousel with my other bag and was on my way.

You might want to read the TSA rules, the last time I read them it said TSA locks only.
My first trip to Africa one of the guys hunting with us bow didn't show up in Africa, he traced it and it was still in Atlanta GA, he had put a regular lock on his bow case , airlines said they didn't know what was in the case so the put it on hold. four days later he got his bow. Forrest

In 2012 my bow made it to SA ok. But on the way back to the States it just lost it TSA locks and ended up in Atlanta with no locks on it.

Just back from South Africa and our bow case ended up with SAPS on both our international and domestic arrivals. Once I opened it they were satisfied. Our Meet and Greet service did warn us, however, to carry the original sales receipt for our bows as SAPS occasionally requests them. They didn't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg