Bow/Arrow Set Up - Kinetic Energy Experiment

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Africa' started by dustyvarmint, Jan 20, 2010.

1. dustyvarmint

dustyvarmint AH Senior Member

For my upcoming trip to Africa for Plains Game I wanted to see what bow/arrow combination produced the best Kinetic Energy (I'm not convinced momentum over KE is the determining factor in penetration). I wanted to look at facts vs. anecdotes.

After looking at the results I'm not sure adding 100 grains to my current set up, by switching from the Cabela's Stalker Extremes to the XX78's, to gain two ft/lbs KE is worth the time, energy and trouble. The only way I see to make a real difference is to go up to 80 lb limbs.

What are your opinions?

1) 2009 Bowtech SWAT - 376.8 gr arrow

*Cabela's Stalker Extreme 55/70 cut to 26.5" with 3 Blazer vanes and one 4-inch wrap *26 5/8" measured to AMO standard

*69.75 lbs (maxed out)

*14.6 gr on string (Fletcher TruPeep 8.8 gr, string loop 5.1 gr, tied string nocks .7 gr)

*376.8 gr arrow

*274 fps (three arrow avg)

*62.75 ft/lbs KE (actual, initial)

*Calculated downrange KE and trajectory: 20 yards – 8.9 inches drop, 58.1 ft/lbs KE

2) 2009 Bowtech SWAT - 360.1 gr arrow

*Gold Tip XT Hunter 55/75 cut to 25.5" with 3 Blazer vanes and one 4-inch wrap

*26 5/8" measured to AMO standard

*69.75 lbs (maxed out)

*14.6 gr on string (Fletcher TruPeep 8.8 gr, string loop 5.1 gr, tied string nocks .7 gr)

*360.1 gr arrow

*279.3 fps (three arrow avg)

*62.31 ft/lb KE (actual, initial)

*Calculated downrange KE and trajectory: 20 yards – 8.6 inches drop, 57.6 ft/lbs KE

3) 2009 Bowtech SWAT - 476.8 gr arrow

*Easton XX75 2216 cut to 26.5" with three 4-inch feathers

*26 5/8" measured to AMO standard

*69.75 lbs (maxed out)

*12.3 gr on string (1/4" G5 Meta-Peep 6.5 gr, string loop 5.1 gr, tied string nocks .7gr)

*476.8 gr arrow

*246 fps (three arrow avg)

*64.01 ft/lb KE (actual, initial)

*Calculated downrange KE and trajectory: 20 yards - 10.7" drop, 58.0 ft/lbs KE

thanks, dv
  2. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    Africa...are there other continents to hunt?
    I would go with the heaviest arrow possible. Have you thought of weight tubes at all? You are probably more than fine with your setup but heavy is always good.
  3. Gerhard

Gerhard AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Dusty,

I would suggest looking at arrow weight between 420 to 450gr arrows.

What broad heads do you want to hunt with?

I would suggest using a fixed blade and if possible cut on contact like a Razor Trick to maximize your penetration..
  4. dustyvarmint

Thanks for the replies.

I'm planning to use the 100 grain, four-blade Magnus Stingers. TOM indicated some blood trail problems with them, however, which gives me some concern.

I'd e-mailed Gary at Slick Trick and he recommended the ST standard or magnums which I already have a lot of.

My quandry on BH choice is the resulting KE I'm obtaining from my short DL with a maxed out bow and no real difference in KE between a 376 gr arrow and a 476 gr arrow. I'd use the ST, but I'm worried about using a non-COC BH with my KE.

thanks, dv
  5. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    I really liked the lastest article in Eastman's Bowhunting Journal. They had a big article on momentum and Kinetic Energy and how much a arrow should be forward weighted. It brought up a number of good points.

The one thing I took away from the article is how much better a heavy arrow is in providing penetration.
  6. Killzone

Killzone AH Member

Is it possible to switch to a 125 grn Bhead without changing the spine too much Dusty ? If possible you gain 25 grn and increase your F.o.c
  7. Leeukop Safaris

Leeukop Safaris AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Hi there dustyvarmint,

If I were you I would not get too technical about K/E and poundage on my bow setup. I know there is norms and standards that must be followed to bow hunt, but in my experience a setup within these norms and standards that hits the target all the time will never let you down!

For hunting Plains Game I would not go too heavy on my arrows, rather generate more speed for Impala and Warthog that are known to string jump and get your bow as silent as possible.

Enjoy your hunt!!!
  8. INGOZI

INGOZI AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    ABO, SCI, SABA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Zambia, United States
    Dusty,

The biggest factor that will determine your success is your shooting ability, you must be able to place your broadhead tipped arrows with pin point presicion.

Secondly you will most likely be shooting out of a hide or treestand with the max distance being about 30yards. Therefore beef up your arrow weight slightly, around 8grains per pound draw weight and choose a good quality fixed blade broadhead. Also ensure that you broadheads that you hunt with are truly scalpel sharp.

All the best of luck and enjoy your trip!
  9. dustyvarmint

Tom,

Thanks for the weight tube suggestion. I am looking at that seriously.

Thanks, dv
  10. Dox

Dox AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Hi Dusty

I would recommend you to use a 450gr - 500 gr.Bow poundage should be more then 60lbs.I recommend No. 3 set up.

Dox
  11. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    Africa...are there other continents to hunt?
    Check out Three Rivers Archery supplies. They have them in numerous weights. Don't go crazy though, it can change the spine of your arrow pretty quickly.