BOTSWANA: Bos en Dal Safaris 2015

Thanks for the great report! You've included all the aspects of a good story.....self deprecating humor , a bit of drama, and great photo's. Looking forward to reading about the rest of your hunt.

Glad your enjoying it. Thanks for the kind words.

Day 6

We were back after eland the next morning. We picked up some good tracks at a water hole. The spoor was about 6-8 hours old. After three hours we hadn’t made up any ground and were having problems staying on the tracks. We decided to try a different plan.

While hunting we heard some wildebeest and commenced a stalk. A bull walked into view and at the shot took off. Zeiss was fetched, but seemed disappointed the chase only went 100 yards. The 7x57 does its job when the operator does his.

IMG_0262.jpg

One One, Zero Zero, Erhardt and Gerrit. A great group of hunters. A great group of guys!(y)

Gerrit is two meters tall. Erhardt is taller. With the three of us together it had to look like the Mutt, Mutt and Jeff cartoon.

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2266.JPG

We hunted that day until dark but had no luck with the eland.

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0210.jpg

Day 7.

We got up late, settled the bills and took some trophy photos.

IMG_2303.JPG

A good hunt.

IMG_2287.JPG

Erhardt's house.

IMG_2286.JPG

Erhardt's house.....the stuff of dreams! These probably wouldn't be relegated to the patio at my home.:)

On the way through the border crossing, the Botswana customs official told us a policeman would be back in a few minutes to check the firearms. After about five minutes he apologized that the policeman hadn’t showed up and said to follow him in Gerrits truck. He ran 200 meters with us following to get to the policeman. We were checked through the border in a couple more minutes. I am not sure if this is typical of Botswana civil servants, but from my limited experience, a big thumbs up to them.(y)

I had asked Gerrit if we could go by the Vortrekker Monument if we had time. It had been ages since I had last seen it. We spent a couple of hours there and I highly recommend it if you are around Pretoria, have some time, and enjoy Afrikaner history.

IMG_2321.JPG

IMG_2330.JPG

"We for thee South Africa"

IMG_2329.JPG

At noon on December 16th every year the light comes through this hole and beam hits the centopath. December 16th, 1834 being the date of "The Vow" and the "Battle of Blood River".

IMG_2333.JPG

Epilogue

AH member Lori Spears, with Travel Express handled the travel and tickets. Sixteen total flights for the two of us. Everything from her end went great. My son Brandon only had two weeks to spend in Africa. He had to leave before this hunt took place. You can read his hunt which was part of this trip here if you are interested.

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/south-africa-hartzview-hunt-2015.21389/

The hunt with Gerrit was great. It would have been nice to have been able to hunt a few more days but I had time constraints and had already been a month away from home.

There were plenty of other animals seen that I wasn’t targeting. Gemsbok, zebra, hartebeest, etc.

The camp, staff, food, comradery and experience were all top notch.

The waterbuck and steenbok are exceptional. There were a couple of 56-58 inch kudu in the salt room. Plus a big boy on a game cam. I never saw anything larger than the one I shot however. Hunting in February with all the rain, heat and greenery are certainly not conducive to seeing a lot of kudu.

securedownload[5].jpg

A question for everybody. What is your estimate of this bull’s length?

PS: Don’t overlook the warthog in the photo!

I was disappointed with not getting an opportunity at a blue bull. It certainly wasn’t for lack of trying. There were a couple of nice bulls in the salt room. Evidently the day before I arrived one fed in Erhardt’s yard about a hundred yards from the house. Maybe Diana will smile next hunt.

February worked into my schedule. I wasn’t expecting to take 12 animals. (A jackal isn't shown) I also wasn’t expecting the “Thanks for saving me a bullet” animals. I had a great hunt and recommend it highly. A winter hunt with more than 5.5 days devoted to hunting would probably only add to a great hunt. If you go just watch out for the monkey bombs!:eek:

Some additional photos.

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_2260.JPG

Insects under a light.

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_0252.jpg

The end of another beautiful day in Africa. The end of another wonderful hunt.(y)

Thanks for sticking around to the end. Hope you enjoyed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wheels,

Thank you for taking the time to post a great report and photos. I look forward to the time when I get to do the same.

Cheers,
Mike

Wheels- I loved your report/pictures and writing style. I looked forward to the installments every morning. Thanks to a great start to the day and an awesome hunt.

A truly outstanding report and lots of great pictures ! It just revs up my desire to get to Africa !

Wheels,

Thank you for taking the time to post a great report and photos. I look forward to the time when I get to do the same.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike I appreciate it. Hope you make it over there soon. I will look forward to reading your report!(y)

Wheels- I loved your report/pictures and writing style. I looked forward to the installments every morning. Thanks to a great start to the day and an awesome hunt.

I appreciate that. :) Wish I could show your quote to that 7th grade English teacher of mine. She would never have believed someone other than my mom could "love" something I wrote.:eek:

A truly outstanding report and lots of great pictures ! It just revs up my desire to get to Africa !

Thanks Alberta. Hope you make it to Africa soon. It is worth it!

A question for everybody. What is your estimate of this bull’s length?

Can't wait to hear from someone how knows how to judge kudu, but I'm guessing 54-55? Those curls sure are deep....

Can't wait to hear from someone how knows how to judge kudu, but I'm guessing 54-55? Those curls sure are deep....

Thanks for being the first to stick your neck out buddy.(y)

I want to hear the PH's stick their neck out a bit and post a number. :) They do it if we are hunting with them don't they.:D

I have heard a big range from a couple of people that should know. We will never know since the kudu is still on the hoof as far as I know. Maybe we can get a close range from some pros. I certainly am curious.

Someone had to do it!

The head down angle makes it even tougher, for me. As long as everyone doesn't come back and say "42" I will be happy with my guess!!! ;)

Well done Wheels. Not just the hunt, which was great, but the pictures, and the story. Well done indeed.

Great hunting report, sure felt like being on the hunt. 57-58, definitely one for the salt shed.

Bob this is an amazing report. I for one very much appreciate the time and effort this has taken you. That Kudu at the water hole is really big. I have a 54 inch Kudu and I can tell you the stud in your photo is 58 to 60 inches.
I wish you had gotten the eland but your Waterbuck is something to behold and more importantly the story of how you got him is just great.
Thank you again for sharing.
I look forward to lunch again sometime.
Charlie

Someone had to do it!

The head down angle makes it even tougher, for me. As long as everyone doesn't come back and say "42" I will be happy with my guess!!! ;)

You don't have to worry. No one with a real guess will come back at a 42.;)

Well done Wheels. Not just the hunt, which was great, but the pictures, and the story. Well done indeed.

Hank,

Appreciate the kind words. You write a mean report with a lot of subtle humor. I had a lot to live up to.:)

Great hunting report, sure felt like being on the hunt. 57-58, definitely one for the salt shed.

Simon, glad you enjoyed the report. Thanks for being the first pro to stick your neck out.(y)

I just took another look at the kudu, I will always be a little conservative when judging, he could definitely be longer, but from the photo, the horns don't look too heavy/thick and that adds a lot of length.

Bob this is an amazing report. I for one very much appreciate the time and effort this has taken you. That Kudu at the water hole is really big. I have a 54 inch Kudu and I can tell you the stud in your photo is 58 to 60 inches.
I wish you had gotten the eland but your Waterbuck is something to behold and more importantly the story of how you got him is just great.
Thank you again for sharing.
I look forward to lunch again sometime.
Charlie

Charlie, I appreciate those words coming from you. Thanks for throwing a kudu number out too.

Not getting the eland is part of hunting. Just give me a reason to go back:)

The waterbuck story is kind of unique. Worked out well though. If anyone wanted a monster waterbuck, this is the place to go.

Can't wait to read your report this year. I know it will be special.(y)

Lunch, just give me a call.

All the best.

I just took another look at the kudu, I will always be a little conservative when judging, he could definitely be longer, but from the photo, the horns don't look too heavy/thick and that adds a lot of length.

He isn't as heavy as the one on Erhardt's patio. If I remember correct that one is 61. The waterhole bull does have more curl though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross