Booking a hunt in 2012?

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Thunder head, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Thunder head

Thunder head AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NWTF, NRA
    I have narrowed down where i want to go to a handful of outfits. In the current economy i dont see prices increasing next year. And if the predictions about fuel cost are even half right, i may need some extra cash for the plane ticket.

Should i chose and book now or wait until this time next year to book a hunt?

2. tim416

tim416 AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC
    In order to get the dates you want with the outfitter you want I would book earlier rather than later. A large percentage of the hunts that are being booked at the shows right now are for 2012 so dates start disappearing quickly.

3. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Well if you book, now then you are committed to hunt next year. But if you book now then you can secure the best time slot too. It all depends....if you'll feel better securing a spot now...rather than waiting to a later date. By waiting you can change your mind...and do something else. Maybe another hunt comes up that you like better.

I would book now if it's the hunt you're looking for to do.

4. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    Africa...are there other continents to hunt?
    To me it depends if you HAVE to have a certain outfitter or area. IF you do, book now and reserve it. If not, i would by all means hold off. There are offerings and deals popping up every ten minutes it seems. Might be able to snag a real bargain.

5. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Unless there is a specific outfitter or area you want to hunt....I'd wait...I remember you said you wanted to hunt eland and bushbuck and there are many areas they can be hunted....and times of the year. That way you can save money and maybe add a animal or something else to the hunt.

Now if I was hunting leopard or elephant and maybe buffalo, I'd book now....to get the prime spots! I'd mention lion but I know you and I can't afford it (lol). Tuskless elephant hunts are still affordable!

6. Frederik

Frederik AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    BASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
    Some companies like us would fix the price for next year on this years rate if you book early so you could save there as well ?