Booked a Lioness bow hunt

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Africa' started by kal, Mar 5, 2013.

1. kal

kal AH Veteran

Member of:
    Safari Club International, National Archery in the Schools Program, Chillakoot Bowhunters
    Hunted:
    USA and Canada
    Thanks everyone, I am going to take this information and field a few questions to the owner and PH I have been dealing with. With any luck they will be able to straighten up any confusion I have caused to myself :bonk:
  2. Jaco Strauss

Jaco Strauss AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, IPHA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
    North West nature conservation do issue Lion Bow permits.

Very true Richard, I do believe the hippo is supposed to be the DCA and the lion a trophy lioness hunt, I think I have described my problem with PAC/DCA,

Richard sometimes I wish it was a simpler industry, I must be honest........

My best always.
  3. Safari Afrika

Safari Afrika AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA - RMEF
    Hunted:
    South Africa - Botswana - Zimbabwe - USA - Namibia
    Jaco thanks for the clarity and this should answers some of Kal's questions . If you read PAR 8 of my quote is states that an Issuing Authority may not issue a permit for bow. So if they do they do not follow or understand their own regulations l It might be because of the Lion Owners fight with Government . I am sure no other Province will issue tis though .

Happy Hunting !!
  4. Jaco Strauss

Jaco Strauss AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, IPHA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Tanzania
    After the well known court battle Lion was removed from the large predator list as above, it still has TOPS relevance as far as the transport permit of such a lion is concerned as well as a hunting permits,

For a bow hunter to be issued such a permit on Lion proof needs to be delivered to Nature conservation as far as a level of cometancy is concerned (as CV of prior experience if you will), it is sent in as an application, once issued this permit also states that the wweapon to be used will be Bow and arrow.

My very best always.
  5. Fritz Rabe

Fritz Rabe AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    PHASA, South African Bowhunting Association (SABA) Instructor, NSRI
    Hunted:
    SA, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, Mozambique, Ethipoia, Cameroon, CAR, Tanzania, Canada, USA, Spain
    That is 100% correct.
    The North West and Free State issue Lion permits for a bow. If your are lucky then Mpumalanga will sometimes grant a permit.
    Lion is definately removed from the list of animals that can not be hunted with a bow as I have done 4 Lion hunts last year with Nature Confusion observers present during the hunt.
    The DCA Hippo is a definite NO!
    Cheers.
  6. Hartzview Hunting Safaris

Hartzview Hunting Safaris SPONSOR AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe
    Good day guys,

I only jump in on the end here as I have been out hunting. Just to clarify for Kal as well. You will not have any problems getting your permit to hunt your lioness with bow. We have done several this year without any permit problems at all. I must say it is one of the most exciting hunts any hunter can ever do in my opinion. You will have to track and push the lion until you get in range for a shot and sometimes (most of the time) the cats does not appreciate people being on their @sses for 3 to 4 hours..... I do have a video clip of hunt earlier this year, if I manage to find it I will post it to this thread for you so we can get the blood pumping already!

If you have any questions regarding the hunt it self please do not hesitate to ask I will be more than happy to help out where I can! Oh and before I forget please do not use mechanical s they do not work on dangerous game at all!

Best regards,

Jacques