Book Recommendations

ltsheets

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Well I have just over a year before my first safari. I already have Craig Boddington's African Experience and just ordered The Perfect Shot. I'm looking for other recommendations on what to read between now and safari time! Thanks.

If you're going to hunt buffalo you might read "Africa's Most Dangerous" (by Kevin Robertson). He explains buffalo anatomy, judging trophy quality and fire arms/bullet selections.

I wish I was but where I'm going in SA, buffalo is too expensive. Gonna save that for my second trip hopefully. I will check that book out though.

Just take a look at the Safaripress catalogue, you´ll find all you need.

Just take a look at the Safaripress catalogue, you´ll find all you need.

This would be my suggestion as well.

There are a ton of options in safari express...any recommendations for good books on plains game? They can be stories or how to's. Looking to read up on all I can over the next year.

Robert Ruark's "Horn of the Hunter" is required reading for sure. If it doesn't get your blood pumping cancel your trip to Africa and take up origami or something. :)

Craig Boddingtons Safaririfles II..

Yep.... all good. Ruark, Hemingway, etc. One bit of advice from my first trip, that I won't make again. I took my wife's ipad to kill time on the plane, downtown, etc. Loaded with American shows, movies, etc. About day 5 or 6, after lunch, I went to take a break. Watched 30 min of a comedy. Man, did it make me depressed. I felt like I tainted my trip. Stay in the zone the whole time.... don't bring so much tech with. 2 cents.

I really enjoyed Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass", which was his first book and I guess considered one of his best. Prior to my trip to Namibia, I read his book on a Namibia safari called "Sands of Silence" and thought it was terrible. I also read Diana Rupp's "Ask the Namibian Guides" and it was a very informative book based on interviews from about a dozen Namibian PHs. I actually selected my PH/Outfitter from one featured in this book. All these books are available on Amazon.

upload_2016-4-7_17-18-47.png

I'm a huge Capstick fan so anything by him is good though Death in the long grass is the absolute best.

I will second @gizmo on anything by Capstick (Death in the Long Grass, Return to the Long Grass, and The Last Ivory Hunter are all good). Also, if you can find a copy of it, Karamoja Safari by WDM Bell. I found a copy of it in the school library when I was in college. It was fascinating. A totally different time, and totally different norms. Great reading. Although also an older book, I also loved "The Maneaters of Tsavo" . Funny enough, that part of the story is only maybe a third of the book. Patterson did a ton of hunting a travelling beyond as he worked with the railroad company.

I will second @gizmo on anything by Capstick (Death in the Long Grass, Return to the Long Grass, and The Last Ivory Hunter are all good). Also, if you can find a copy of it, Karamoja Safari by WDM Bell. I found a copy of it in the school library when I was in college. It was fascinating. A totally different time, and totally different norms. Great reading. Although also an older book, I also loved "The Maneaters of Tsavo" . Funny enough, that part of the story is only maybe a third of the book. Patterson did a ton of hunting a travelling beyond as he worked with the railroad company.
I really enjoyed the last ivory hunter saga of Wally Johnson as well. So much so that it's going to cost me a trip to Mozambique for my leopard and a sable next.
The book he did on meinertzhagen was fantastic also but is more of a historical biography as as aposed to a died in the wool book on Africa.

White Hunters by Brian Herne & Africa's Greatest Tuskers by Tony Sanchez-Arino are two really great books.

Tony Sanchez-Arino was signing books in the booth next to us at Cinegetica in Madrid a few days ago. Every now and then he would pop into our booth and start telling us of his adventures.

What an incredible person and a hunting legend...

IMG_2652.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross