Bontebok price jump

Enysse,
You sir summed it up well!

When a deal is struck and niether party is really satisfied, that is probably an alll around bargain.

And sometimes you just need to give people what they really need, not nessarily what they want. I bought a house where the seller had a huge list of things... I wrote them all down, found I could accomidate him on all of them.... So I told him "I can give you everything your asking for, and you only have to give me a really good price" .... The deal was done and we were actually both very happy.

I was interested in killing a bontebok back in June. When I said something to my PH, he said the prices were ridiculous and we could hunt a lot more animals with the same money. However, if I really wanted one, it would be no problem getting one. I was going to hunt 14 days so I opted to pass on the bontebok and chase other critters.

I ended up adding a bushpig that had been giving the PH fits with other hunters, added an old blue wildebeest bull that will make a beautiful rug, and didn't connect on an old kudu bull we were after for 2-3 days.

Also, used that same money to put 20% down on my dip and pack and still put some money back in the savings account.

The price dictated my change of plans.

I was interested in killing a bontebok back in June. When I said something to my PH, he said the prices were ridiculous and we could hunt a lot more animals with the same money. However, if I really wanted one, it would be no problem getting one. I was going to hunt 14 days so I opted to pass on the bontebok and chase other critters.

I ended up adding a bushpig that had been giving the PH fits with other hunters, added an old blue wildebeest bull that will make a beautiful rug, and didn't connect on an old kudu bull we were after for 2-3 days.

Also, used that same money to put 20% down on my dip and pack and still put some money back in the savings account.

The price dictated my change of plans.
You made the right decision not to shoot the bontebok. I shot one years ago and I can tell you that it was a non-event. Because of their high value [even way back when] most are held in relatively small camps and--because of breeding or relatively close confinement--the ones I saw were pretty tame. On this last trip my son hunted blesbok in the Drakensburg foothills. They are practically identical to bontebok and were plenty, plenty wild. The closest we ever got to these blesbok was 600-700 yds. Needless to say, we inflicted no casualties.

You made the right decision not to shoot the bontebok. I shot one years ago and I can tell you that it was a non-event. Because of their high value [even way back when] most are held in relatively small camps and--because of breeding or relatively close confinement--the ones I saw were pretty tame. On this last trip my son hunted blesbok in the Drakensburg foothills. They are practically identical to bontebok and were plenty, plenty wild. The closest we ever got to these blesbok was 600-700 yds. Needless to say, we inflicted no casualties.

Spoonie,

You mean like this big guy? I shot this guy while chasing Vaal rhebok near Underberg in the Drakensberg. Shot was 326 yards. We saw two of these big old blesbok that day all alone. The best part is it didn't cost me a dime as the landowner wanted them removed.

250_zps099e7367.jpg

Attachments

• 250_zps099e7367.jpg
    250_zps099e7367.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 101
Another factor we cannot ignore is the exchange rate.

Last look said a USD was worth 11.2 Rand! It was 10.5:1 6 months ago...that is a 6.7% change in favor of the dollar, over 6 months.

Hey Greybird,,, Nice!

Not as nice as your avatar, but nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross