Bolt hitting scope cover

RolandtheHeadless

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a .416 Dakota M76 with low Talley rings and a Z6 1-6x Swarovski scope. Got it all mounted nicely--except the bolt hits the rear scope cover and won't open or close. The bolt action works fine with the scope cover off, but it's a nuisance not to be able to open and close the action while the cover is on.

Any suggestions for a cure, short of going to higher rings?

My Zastava rifles have this issue too (M98 actions). I opted to use the covers joined by elastic. I usually just have them on for storage as I wanted to keep the low rings. It will be interesting if there is a way to avoid this.

I've had the identical problem with my Swedish Mausers. The normal fix for them is to cut re-shape and re-weld the bolt. Any good "smith" can do the work as this is a rather common issue for them. Let me know how you make-out.

Reworking the bolt can be expensive but is there an alternative?

I have the same problem on some rifles where the scope is mounted low and caps are used. On these rifles I use Butler Creek flip up caps and carefully cut a notch in the plastic sleeve that holds the cap at the point where it would contact the bolt. The caps still stay in place and the bolts have enough room to operate normally.

WOW, Can't have your cake and eat it too!!!
1. Higher rings,
2. Move the scope forward (long eye relief)
3. Remove the scope covers,
4. "thicker" (higher" bases)

Reworking the bolt will require modifying the stock since you're changing the angle of the bolt. The rifle is way too nice to do such a thing to it.

What bases/rings are on it now?

Sorry, hit the wrong button, I see the low talleys, try a set of Leupold bases then either low or medium rings and see what clearance you get?

I thought the original objective was to keep the same scope heighth. Yes the stock will require some rework after the bolt is bent, but it too can be done and look fantastic when it is finished. I've had this done to rifles with both wood and synthetic stocks. I must admit that the stock alteration looks better on the wood than it does on the synthetic stock.

Oh lord. Just put a set of medium Talley rings on the thing if working the bolt with covers in place is important. But reworking a bolt and stock is a bit extreme. Personally, I would simply take the things off to cycle the bolt and maintain the lower mounting. I have to do that on a couple of rifles and it is, to me at least, a non issue.

Have to agree with redleg, just take them off when shooting. This option seems seems to be the least expensive. I have flip up scope covers on 3 of my rifles, the rest (hunting rifles) wear bikini scope covers. They are cheap enough to replace if dropped and lost, yet serve their purpose while on the scope. There is no way in hell I would alter a rifle to accommodate a set of scope covers, but that's me.

My .375 barely clears, to the point that when pushed up that extra little bit past "resting open" that it touches the bolt to scope. I have a thin line worn in the scope finish.

The rifle fits me well and points nicely and has never changed POI, so I'm not changing a thing. I deal with it.

As already mentioned try a set of Rubber Bikini Covers VERY Cheap and work real good, I think Midway and others handle them

Yeah, I'm not willing to alter the rifle, but I was hoping there might be a less-drastic cure. The scope is as far as I can get it without screwing up my cheek weld. The bikini covers might work. Thanks for the replies.

I actually just bought a cover for a different scope just last week. Seems like a good product and for $9.99 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Butler-...ize-Fits-All-Made-in-USA-19000-/311609202337?

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 8.30.58 PM.png

Hi RolandtheHeadless,

Ask your PH's for both countries that you're booked to hunt in, if scope covers are even worth bringing along, in regards to their respective hunting area conditions.
I have carried scoped rifles part of the time, during my trips to Africa.
But with same, I did not need lense covers.

While riding on the truck, whatever rifle I had was unloaded and in a zipped shut scabbard.
While out on foot, I was never set upon by any noticeable amount of dust (or for that matter, no blowing snow, sleet or rain either, LOL).

IMO, unless hunting in a particularly dusty or a very rainy/snowy environment, scope covers are like variable power optics and double set triggers - just one more thing to be fidgeting with when instead, I should have been pressing off a carefully aimed shot.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I shaved the rear scope cover on my son's rifle. Can't remember what the interference was, but 30 seconds with a Dremel fixed it.

My Swarovskis all came with see-through bikini covers. I leave the covers on unless I'm actively on the stalk. Once I'm stalking a particular animal, the covers come off and left with the extraneous gear- that is everything other than the rifle.

If you are in a situation where there is serious concern that you won't have time to remove the covers, you are in a situation that requires a round in the chamber. Unless you are in combat, any shot that needs to be taken that quickly will be a close range shot- close enough that the optical degradation of leaving the covers on will be insignificant. I've taken such a shot exactly once when (after weeks of trying and failing to see any even remotely mature kudu bulls) a good shootable kudu appeared out of nowhere. "Kudu, kudu, shoot!!". Rifle was up, safety off, round outbound in under 2 seconds. No time to mess with scope covers and certainly no time for a second shot if the first one was inadequate. So being unable to cycle the bolt without removing the cover was irrelevant.

Needing to shoot but not having time to remove the cover is rare. Needing to shoot that quickly and also needing to and having the opportunity to take a second shot without having time to remove the cover is extremely rare at best.

I see the bikini cover in that ad is pretty much the same as the one that came with the scope, except mine is see-through, like Bert describes. I don't see how I could shave the soft rubber cover without causing it to tear a hole in it that gets bigger each time you put the cover on. Don't know how a Dremel would work on soft rubber, either.

Velo, you can tell I'm used to Alaska hunting, eh? As usual, you give me good advice. I'm in the habit of leaving on the scope covers until actually hunting with a round in the chamber.

I guess it's an instinct with me to keep on the scope covers because I was taught that a lens should be cleaned as infrequently as possible.

Still, the bolt hitting the rear scope cover is a nuisance I'd like to be rid of. For instance, when I hand a gun to someone else I'm in the habit of opening the action. With the scope covers on, I can only open the action partway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross