Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Right the shooting show is coming up in the UK and I'm looking at putting in an order for a 375. Not too sure what to go for though a double or bolt. I would want to use it for everything from PG to DG. What would be best suited?? I'm thinking a double from an investment point of view but if it wont be much good for the PG I might not bother with one.
Also anybody have a Chapuis Armes double??

Many thanks

+1

If I were looking for one rifle to hunt primarily plains game, with the occasional buffalo or other dangerous animal, now and then, I would definitely want a sturdy bolt action in .375 H&H and I would want it to have both open sights as well as a sturdy 4 power scope in sturdy lever rings (claw mounts if I could afford them).
I have hunted PG with this cartridge and Alaskan animals too.
I feel it is probably the most useful hunting cartridge ever dreamed up.

if its going to be your one rifle to be used on plains and dangerous game then get a bolt action. it will be a lot more versatile with the ability to use different bullet weights for different situations/distances, and i love double rifles but for your wants i dont think it would be the correct choice. i used to have a chapuis double in 9.3x74r and it was a nice little rifle. i also only like rimmed calibres in double rifles, i know there are people who have doubles chambered for rimless calibres and they work fine for them, but they are not for me. :)

Buy the looks of it the general consensus is for a bolt action. I guess I just need to get in the garden and drill untill I can empty the mag rather fast!
But then again a nice 350 grn solid in the engine room of anything should cause it drop.

its ok emptying the mag fast, as long as the bits coming out the end of the barrel go where they supposed to ;). as Mr VD said get it with open sights and qd scope mounts.what rifle make are you thinking about?

Experience with dangerous game and experience with reloading either rifle under pressure also plays a huge role here. In my humble opinion, a six round .375 bolt action is the better option. Nothing stopping you from getting a nice .404 Jeffery Double as well though...

Nothing stopping you from getting a nice .404 Jeffery Double as well though...

Doc i had to find out whether anyone made these, and i have consulted my oracle and there was one .404 jeff double made by westley richards for a well known american collector/hunter, and that is it...so more than rare !

I fully apriciate getting the shots to land where you want them to. In my past profession this was vital as we would only have X rounds with us! Im thinking about getting a cz550. I have seen a nice one with a sound moderater scope rings and loading dies. Only problem is you then lose the fore sight!! I guess a nice 1-5/6 mag scope with a red dot would do the trick?

If I were looking for one rifle to hunt primarily plains game, with the occasional buffalo or other dangerous animal, now and then, I would definitely want a sturdy bolt action in .375 H&H and I would want it to have both open sights as well as a sturdy 4 power scope in sturdy lever rings (claw mounts if I could afford them).
I have hunted PG with this cartridge and Alaskan animals too.
I feel it is probably the most useful hunting cartridge ever dreamed up.

+1 . . . my sentiments all the way.

My answer is simple an I keep to that belief.
Use what you grew up with.
If you know how o use a bolt then buy a bolt
If you know how to use a double buy a double

Bolts are much more user friendly though.
Doubles have limits

'if its going to be your one rifle to be used on plains and dangerous game then get a bolt action. it will be a lot more versatile with the ability to use different bullet weights for different situations/distances, and i love double rifles but for your wants i dont think it would be the correct choice. i used to have a chapuis double in 9.3x74r and it was a nice little rifle. i also only like rimmed calibres in double rifles, i know there are people who have doubles chambered for rimless calibres and they work fine for them, but they are not for me", quote by Spike.t

Spike, you are an endless supply of wonderful pearls of wisdom,
few much better than this one (y)

One more vote for the bolt action for a "one rfile battery." Just so much more versatility...

I will have a double someday, but it is a speciality item to me and not an inexpensive one.

The bolt gun makes the best option for a all around 10 to 350 yard or meters gun. I have both. planning on using my chapuis double in 9.3x74r on cape eland and the 450NE double on cape buff this year. I love shooting doubles and am comfortable hitting what I am shooting at with either to 125yards(plan on 50 and under for DG though:). and the 9.3 to 150. I would vote for the double with the possibility of putting a scope if you aren't comfortable with irons at a longer range for plains game. plus it is more fun and challenging having to stalk closer to get shots but the flip side is that you may have to pass on game that would be a chip shot for a scoped bolts gun. what ever you decide have fun.

I have used a 416 Bolt action on Dangerous game with great results. Will most likely never own a double although it would nice!

'if its going to be your one rifle to be used on plains and dangerous game then get a bolt action. it will be a lot more versatile with the ability to use different bullet weights for different situations/distances, and i love double rifles but for your wants i dont think it would be the correct choice. i used to have a chapuis double in 9.3x74r and it was a nice little rifle. i also only like rimmed calibres in double rifles, i know there are people who have doubles chambered for rimless calibres and they work fine for them, but they are not for me", quote by Spike.t

Spike, you are an endless supply of wonderful pearls of wisdom,
few much better than this one (y)

:D Cheers: paul. now i am glad i have that in writing as i doubt anyone would believe it if i told them......:E Big Grin::D Beers:

Doc i had to find out whether anyone made these, and i have consulted my oracle and there was one .404 jeff double made by westley richards for a well known american collector/hunter, and that is it...so more than rare !

I have seen one made by the german firm Barella before WW2....pretty oddball round in a double....I would never have a rimless cartridge in a double meant for DG..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrederickD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross