Bok or Buck? The question is...

I prefer bok over buck.

I remember my first safari noticing a bit of animosity still between Englishmen and Dutchmen. I expected them to call everything bok and they used the term buck both spoken and written in their brochures. I like bok because it seems to be the old original terminology. At least bok and buck are for the most part interchangeable!
Regards,
Philip

Changing the names to accommodate the lazy tourist?!

Better get on these one to. :)

Sausages or Boerwors
Jerky or Biltong
Bobotie or Shepards Pie
Mealy Pap of Porridge
Potjiekos or Stew

Sausages or Boerwors
Jerky or Biltong
Bobotie or Shepards Pie
Mealy Pap of Porridge
Potjiekos or Stew

Why not change them, people have been changing their names for awhile now so they don't get butchered every time they are spoke, or properly they are butchered every time they are spoken for eternity.

IE Boisvert is pronounced "boy vare" but many now just give up and pronounce it "boys vert" LOL.
Or Brisbois properly "Breeze Bwa" given up for "Briz boys" (n)

A toque is now a "wool hat" etc etc etc

No sense using the names that have been around for centuries I guess.

There is a lot being said, and some really good points. In the end who does the bok or buck cares - good one! :)

I will be posting more thoughts later, thanks for chiming in friends - now first to analyse every response and to add it to the next mystery script.

Over and out!

Sausages or Boerwors
Jerky or Biltong
Bobotie or Shepards Pie
Mealy Pap of Porridge
Potjiekos or Stew

traffic lights or robots

my favourite
ute or bakkie

The only animal that I can think of where bok is correct is bontebok. If you were writing an english test and you spell it springbok, teacher would mark you wrong. If you were writing Afrikaans test and you spell it springbuck, teacher would mark you wrong.

BOK is Dutch/Afrikaans, buck is English.

But who cares you can hunt a bok or a buck...

The only animal that I can think of where bok is correct is bontebok. If you were writing an english test and you spell it springbok, teacher would mark you wrong. If you were writing Afrikaans test and you spell it springbuck, teacher would mark you wrong.

BOK is Dutch/Afrikaans, buck is English.

But who cares you can hunt a bok or a buck...

They are similar words but have different meaning. In english a buck is a MALE animal (under no circumstance would you call a female deer a buck) whereas Bok is used for both sexes so the translation is far from literal. Technically calling a female springbok a springbuck would be incorrect in English by your logic, it wold be a springdoe.

I would definitely disagree, it's a springbuck, not a spring, it's a springbuck ram or ewe.

buck noun [C] (ANIMAL)
› (plural buck or bucks) the male of some animals such as deer and rabbits, or (in South Africa) a male or female antelope.

I think the Cambridge dictionary knows better than we do Diamondhitch.

But really I don't care what you would like to call them. But I do think I know which is the better terminology than you do.

Folks the name depicts the species,not the sex. Male and female animals in Africa are either Rams or Ewes or Bulls and Cows. Africa has antelope,there are no doe or buck used to describe sex.
No matter what you call them as long as they make nice trophies and taste good;)

Last edited:
buck noun [C] (ANIMAL)
› (plural buck or bucks) the male of some animals such as deer and rabbits, or (in South Africa) a male or female antelope.

Interesting, I never looked it up.

I think the Cambridge dictionary knows better than we do Diamondhitch.

But really I don't care what you would like to call them. But I do think I know which is the better terminology than you do.

Interesting... where did all the anger come from? This was not a shot at you by any means but since you know everything I will be sure to consult you before posting anything that you may take offense to. (which appears to be anything at all). My point was valid.

If you haven't noticed, folks on here don't petty squabble about everything like they do on other sites. The tone tends to remain calm and enlightened with plenty of friendly banter which is the way we all like it.

Enough said.

If you took what I said as a squabble them you are definitely wrong, that was my point of view, you were the one that said my logic. If we all agreed on this site then it wouldn't be of much benefit, no hard feelings Diamonditch...

If you took what I said as a squabble them you are definitely wrong, that was my point of view, you were the one that said my logic. If we all agreed on this site then it wouldn't be of much benefit, no hard feelings Diamonditch...

Poor wording I guess, I read it as an attack. I have no problem with difference of opinion, that's what keeps things interesting and the conversation going.

No worries and no hard feelings.

Thanks Diamondhitch, we can share a cold one around the camp fire...my apology as well..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you