Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
RSA, USA (NM, MO, KS, OK, TX, NE, SD)
What is an average body depth for the following animals?

Greater Kudu
Gemsbok
Bushbuck
Springbok
Reedbuck
Waterbuck

I have found plenty of information giving overall dimensions, weights, etc. for these animals but nothing on body depths (chest/shoulder area).

Reason I ask, is if for some reason I have to take a long shot on my upcoming trip, I can have some good reference for aiming.

Not to mention, it's just good information to know.

Thanks in advance.

I will generalize my comments. The bushbuck, reedbuck and springbok are about a foot. The Kudu and Waterbuck are big animals 30 inches+. I think the gemsbok should be about 2 feet.

Heeler75, you are getting close. What 3 more weeks? Anyway, You will not have to worry about excessively long shots.( Less than 200 yards most of the time) With the 7 mag put the crosshairs straight up the front leg, 1/3 up the body and presto it will go down. With the 270gr interlocks in the 375 H&H you will want to go 1/3 to 1/2 way up the body.depending on range. This is if you sighted for 1 1/2 - 2 inches high respectively at 100 yards. Obviosly you will make minor adjustments depending on range. Pieter is very good at judging distances and will generally talk you through the shot. When your heart is really pounding and you are puffing like a steam engine, he will softly tell you to relax a minute. It is very reassuring.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help there guys.

375lvr, it's 4 weeks from this Saturday. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

By the way, I need to get with you and visit about the trip back from RSA.

Give me a call anytime on my cell phone. On the trip back, the stop in Dakar is and adventure. You don't leave the plane, but there is a lot going on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg