Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
B&C, DSC
Hunted
US, Mexico, S Africa, Namibia
Interesting read (read about this on another forum and found it to be most interesting):

http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...off-the-canned-hunting-industry/#.VaUmKbX6gwC

th-77-jpeg.45170

Last edited by a moderator:
what is so interesting about non hunter anti talk. Find it to be the same bs as always that is so big on that other forum when it is about SA. Lions are not the only thing being raised to be hunted. Dont like it dont hunt one that is raised to be hunted. To think they are not dangerous because they are raised is foolish.

Last edited:
The generalizations are sad really.

My favourite quote from the expert:
“Bullying or not, the moment can be very disturbing, but I would like to think that when push comes to shove one’s personal safety is not at risk.”

Perhaps this is one of the experts that informed this woman she was at no risk from those lions.
http://www.africahunting.com/thread...-attack-at-lion-park-near-johannesburg.22727/

Botswana being touted as making decisions based on science. That's funny
Try Zambia's Ministers reply.
http://www.africahunting.com/threads/big-cat-hunting-decision-irreversible-–-jean-kapata.22706/

funny how they never bring up the great success story of Kenya. Oh thats right that country is ruined even though there is no hunting. But the bug huggers feel good because people cant hunt there just turn a blind eye to the animals still be slaughtered. Who cares how much good hunting could do for that country.
Some of you guys who think this is a great read or even give this bs the time of day makes me very sad. I know if we can just stop raised lion hunting the antis will let us alone. Wake up people they hate the killing of anything.

My favourite quote from the expert:
“Bullying or not, the moment can be very disturbing, but I would like to think that when push comes to shove one’s personal safety is not at risk.”

I wonder what Reinhard and Jacques would have to say to this so called expert.

And here once again is the problem. Where are the pro hunting folks to condemn there accusations? The anti's think Kenya is a complete success story. They don't hear the truth...Game numbers are down post hunting. Check the facts, we all here know that. We just stand in the back ground and let them say what they want. Again I say where are the big boy's?? The ammo companies, the gun manufactures etc etc etc. The other side needs to hear both sides and yes we may never convince them I suspect but maybe some food for thought if they hear and see the facts about hunting.

what is so interesting about non hunter anti talk. Find it to be the same bs as always that is so big on that other forum when it is about SA. Lions are not the only thing being raised to be hunted. Dont like it dont hunt one that is raised to be hunted. To think they are not dangerous because they are raised is foolish.

It's always interesting to me to try and understand where the enemy is coming from. That's why I listen to the liberal retards in the USA sometimes.

This line to me is the one that tries to pull the hunting community into their viewing of thinking.

“There are distinctions between sustainable hunting, fair-chase hunting and canned or captive hunting, and given that hunting remains a part of our conservation thinking in South Africa, the film recognises this and is targeted at the breeding and canned or captive hunting sector.”

It's as though they think if we give on this piece, they won't go after the rest. When after all, it is stated elsewhere that Botswana's shutting down trophy hunting is a positive move. And, that they don't see hunting in Kenya ever starting up again.

This is the same type of double talk that surrounds the firearm control debates in the U.S. And, the reason I won't support any limitations - whether ownership of firearms or type of hunting.

John

It's always interesting to me to try and understand where the enemy is coming from. That's why I listen ..............

Some guy thought something like that a while back:

the general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple ere the battle is fought. The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand. Thus do many calculations lead to victory, and few calculations to defeat: how much more no calculation at all! It is by attention to this point that I can foresee who is likely to win or lose.
– Sun Tzu, quotes from the Art of War Quotes

Just another anti hunting idiot. If anything, raised lions are much more dangerous as they do not fear man. Furthermore there is nothing "canned" about it. Lion hunting, be it SA or anywhere else, is dangerous period. SA lion hunts with reputable out fitters are as far chase as they get. I've done it and I can assure you the lion has the upper hand. If there was one thing I learned out of my entire lion hunt is that you don't hunt lions, they hunt you. Many of you are right though, we as hunters must give our side of the story to the public and show them concrete facts. The anti's are great about painting a warm fuzzy picture and people buy into it. Their world falls apart when scientific proof distroys their propaganda though.

So many dot care about reason or truth. I worked with a guy a few weeks ago who was devout anti-gun anti-hunting anti-everything really. No amount of reason could penetrate his thick skin. It did not take me long to see that he was not really listening, just waiting his turn to speak. These guys are tough to reason with. This particular fellow really enjoys Elk and Bison but only if it is from from a ranch??? WTH is the difference???

I think those companies or individuals deeply involved in hunting should hire a PR firm to counter and to put out the good regulated hunting is for the species, the environment and for the people who inhabit these areas. I am talking about good information all over the world where hunting happens. Not just in Africa but everywhere. Combined efforts by those involved would probably cost them peanuts to pay for a PR firm. It needs to be a media blitz where folks can see the good controlled hunting has on everything mentioned. Just about every person I have ever spoken to is completely naive to hunting and where hunting dollars go. Let the PR firm show and tell people just where the dollars raised by just about all anti hunting groups are really spent. We know the majority is spent lobbying and salaries for themselves. Very little goes directly to wildlife or conservation. Let people HEAR this. Might just raise some eyebrows and bring awareness to these groups.

Problem is main stream media does not have the courage to tell the truth. They get inundated with negative comments and buckle under the pressure of people who have no idea what the truth is. We have to keep fighting with the NRA, SCI and our other organizations that help fight in the legislature. I don't think we win in the court of public opinion.

No we may not win in the court of public opinion but let's put food for thought in there heads. If the media won't advertise our side although I suspect for the money they would we could place ads in print. My point is LET'S DO SOMETHING. I m sorry I just don't think the NRA or SCI is doing enough...Look at whats happening.....That should be proof enough.

I agree the industry does not do enough. And we tend to preach to the choir... In the mean time, inform yourself on all the arguments and take an approach of reasoning and education with folks who are on the fence or anti hunting... One on one.

I had a good day when I did this and got an email telling me that after contemplation he could see how hunting lions and elephants is necessary and good for those species in the wild... This from an anti gun, anti hunting guy who, when he found out I was going to Africa to hunt, went out of his way to tell me personally that Africa is a wondrous place and there was no need to take guns nor shoot any animals.

One at a time if we have to......

I am not suggesting to give up. I think we certainly need to educate as many people as we can. I just don't wonder why main stream media isn't carrying an of the pro hunting messages.

I am not suggesting to give up. I think we certainly need to educate as many people as we can. I just don't wonder why main stream media isn't carrying an of the pro hunting messages.
Cause there not pro hunting. Simple as that. Much of the main stream media is liberal and many liberals just don't see our point of view.

Sometimes we shout for our rights and justice and yet sit back expecting others to gain those things for us. I hear sport hunters and shooters alike continually complaining about how their rights are being trampled upon, and rightfully so. Our rights ARE being trampled upon.

But even on this site, a place where sport hunters and shooting enthusiasts gather, I've at times read a variety of excuses of why one member or another won't maintain a membership in NRA, SCI, DU, RMEF, DSC or any other organization dedicated to protecting our right to hunt and shoot.

Ignoring the overall goal and benefits provided by these organizations these same people will invariably cite a particular instance that caused them to become angry and either drop their membership or avoid joining any supporting organization. They want all the benefits, but they won't invest a single nickel to join in the fight. They shamefully feel no guilt in sloughing all financial responsibility off on others.

I can find a reason to question any and all organizations. We all can. But I believe the sport hunters and shooters who express a reason for not joining and maintaining a membership in ANY organization committed to our shooting and hunting sport are full of shit leeches. At the very least I don't understand how any American gun enthusiast or sport hunter can rationalize not maintaining a basic membership in the NRA. Like them or not, they are the only organization protecting our second amendment right to possess the firearms we enjoy shooting and hunting with.

Just my two cents . . . I'll jump down off the soapbox now.

Pretty gobsmacked that there are people here defending canned lion killing.

I'd suggest people put their paranoia aside for one minute and see this as an attack on a practice of dubious conservation value (pen raising top predators in an small environment does zero for landscape scale conservation); putting aside moral arguments, the general public, never mind the antis, will never condone this.

A ban is inevitable - it would been far more forward thinking for one of the hunters organisations to come out and condemn this, but I'm afraid they are way behind the curve regarding public opinion. And real hunting could end up suffering as a result.

Bushpig, I see you use the word canned, Well I know instantly where you stand. Who gives you the right to tell others what they can and cannot do legally? I don't drink and never will. I don't feel it is right. Thousands of people kill people by being drunk every year.
I think you should stop, and if you do drink and defend it , I'm pretty godsmacked that you defend something that results in the killing of thousands of innocent people every year. Get the point?

But, Most of us will just sit back and take it what this film hands out to the public.
To stand up and be harassed and stalked and condemned by the onslaught of social media abuse by the anti's and people involved with this presentation is something that will keep most all of us at bay. Bushpig you state that it has no conservation value at all. In fact your quite wrong in my case anyway. I personally shot 2 captive bred lions. I CHOSE to do so because of personal reasons and some are about wild lion numbers. I will not get into that. I can and could afford to do either. I chose for my own thoughts and feeling on the subject. I chose to collect 2 raised lions instead of taking 2 out of the wild. My Choice and I am glad legally that I had that choice. I do not tell some BS story about a rampant cattle killer on the loose. I tell my story honestly about how and when and the fact that they were raised lions.

Each year....We have 10's of MILLIONS of Pheasants Raised to shoot. Millions of Penned deer RAISED to shoot. Hundreds of thousands of ELK raised to shoot. Thousands of Buffalo Raised to shoot. Exotics , Tens of thousands raised to shoot. And all this flaming liberalism about 600 to 800 lions per year harvested behind a fence, Give me a break. The Hypocrates THEMSELVES have been the silent partner to the raised lion hunting industry since it's conception. The are worse , far worse than the operator that openly sells and harvests and advertises raised lions for harvest.

Why do we have this ISSUE ? Because of this type of hypocrite. The ZOO operator and "Come pet the lion cub Operator".
"THESE people work the public like an organ grinders monkey". They raise lions for the CUBS and the Liberal Eco-tourism $$$$. They get people to come pet the little babies....Always the babies. On their photo only ranches and farms. Well all those babies grow up and they don't want them anymore. They just want the little ones and run lion kitty mills for the tourist. Hypocrites!
They go to the slaughterhouse just like the cows , chickens and pigs.

I will defend any hunter choosing to hunt any animal under any legal means and I EXPECT other hunters to defend my rights and choices. Any domestic livestock operation IS no different than raising cows, chickens or pigs. All are raised for profit. All are eventually turned into food, the meat. Soaps and other products from rendering of the bones. Leather from their hides an skins. And yes, they are ALL killed in the end. Farming of Lions is no different. The cows and chickens and pigs, are not put to sleep with some magic fair sleeping dust sprayed over them. Go visit a kill floor in a slaughterhouse.

The rights of farming any animal under legal and in a sustainable and profitable enviroment should be defended if you believe in the capitalistic system of supply and demand.

The general public eats a lot of burgers , let them see a cow dragged out of a cattle trailer unable to stand on it's own yet still barley breathing be dragged by a rope out of the trailer and hoisted by a crane to the kill floor and popped 2-3 times in the forehead with a slaughterhouse gun.

Don't forget to click on the attached file ....

Attachments

• th-77.jpeg
    th-77.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 882

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyOKe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg