Blog on Classic Rifles and more

Chambeshi

Reaction score
This is being posted under a general theme, as it's not strictly any category of rifle (and obviously also includes scatterguns). For a couple of years I have gained sublime pleasure and learnt equally much from my favourite blog on the www. This is under the auspices of Westley Richards and its excellence of Old World values and especially the history lead me to consider how many out there might be missing out. Can everyone define the Ovundo for one question? This is a model I had heard mentioned, but never seen, nor had its origins explained:

http://www.theexplora.com/

Obviously it has a firm commercial foundation but the quality of posts, and above all examplars of bespoke craftsmanship, and photos, speak for themselves. And by the way I am an impoverished academic acholar and do not own any of these fine weapons nor am I in the pay of anyone (sad but some of us have to endure poverty):

Here are a couple of African hunting icons: the late James Sutherland's very own .577 Double with single selective trigger (now owned by WR), and a brand new bespoke 5-shot hinged magazine take-down Express bolt action in the world's first short magnum . 425 WR:

Picture00809.jpg

425-Take-Down-4905.jpg

Attachments

• 425-Take-Down-4905.jpg
    425-Take-Down-4905.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 763
  • Picture00809.jpg
    Picture00809.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 271
Dream guns and rifles for sure!

That .425 is a unique blend of old school craftsmanship and newer styling. Short mag chambering, extended magazine and high comb for the 21st century shooter coupled with traditional WR take-down mechanism (looks exactly like my 20's era .318), single square bridge mauser action, and Germanic style side plates. Whoever commissioned it had unique tastes, and appreciated a beautiful weapon that likely will actually be used on DG.

Every rifle enthusiast has their favorite or favorites.
Having been blessed to examine many of the top makers of doubles and repeaters alike plus, having fired more than one or two of same, my favorite maker of doubles is Westley Richards.
If I were a wealthy man (if a frog had wings), in regards to double rifles and shotguns, I would not pine away for Holland & Holland or dream of the Rigby versions.
My money would go for the WR Drop Lock double.
These seem to set better than just very well in my hands and they have the stunning looks of The Hunting Goddess Diana herself.

Can not argue with that Dog. I covet a drop lock (rifle or gun) and a Rigby rising bite.

Can not argue with that Dog. I covet a drop lock (rifle or gun) and a Rigby rising bite.

Hi Red Leg,

I figure you probably have 37K laying around on the floorboard of your pickup so, today is your lucky day.

As we speak, www.champlinarms.com has a Rigby Rising Bite / Side Lock, in .470 NE, with 26" ejector barrels for $37,000. which is a screaming deal IMO.

The reason for the lower than normal price is no doubt due to the fact that it was re-barreled and re-stocked in England during 2005.

However, judging by the close-up photos, I would not be put off by this apparently proper and professional English restoration, not in the slightest.

Regards,
Velo Dog.

Agreed 100%. Alongside .425 the .318 is another African Classic (to quote an article on this calibre by Charley Haley that's available on AH

That .425 is a unique blend of old school craftsmanship and newer styling. Short mag chambering, extended magazine and high comb for the 21st century shooter coupled with traditional WR take-down mechanism (looks exactly like my 20's era .318), single square bridge mauser action, and Germanic style side plates. Whoever commissioned it had unique tastes, and appreciated a beautiful weapon that likely will actually be used on DG.

The choice between detachable lock and rising bite is a tough one. So would would have to own one of each to decide this!

Guess that's what how the late Elmer Keith did it, and he owned a .476 WR NE single trigger droplock that was among his vast collection auctioned earlier this year.

I found this post fascinating on how these doubles are regulated:

http://www.theexplora.com/regulating-double-rifle-at-westley-richards/

Every rifle enthusiast has their favorite or favorites.
Having been blessed to examine many of the top makers of doubles and repeaters alike plus, having fired more than one or two of same, my favorite maker of doubles is Westley Richards.
If I were a wealthy man (if a frog had wings), in regards to double rifles and shotguns, I would not pine away for Holland & Holland or dream of the Rigby versions.
My money would go for the WR Drop Lock double.
These seem to set better than just very well in my hands and they have the stunning looks of The Hunting Goddess Diana herself.

It is great to read of fellow fervor coveting these fine rifles in all their splendid nuances. Here is the first post following the building of a bespoke gun using the combined CNC and traditional methods:

http://www.theexplora.com/101-parts-the-gunmaking-starts-a-westley-richards-28g-droplock/

Vic Venter's book GunCraft on double guns is a great read. An anthology of his articles. Although focused mainly on shotguns, it covers many aspects of bespoke rifles, including actioning the doll's head to close "smearing the smoke on the circle". In one of my favorite passages in African Rifles and Cartridges by John Taylor is in the section focusing on double rifles. Summary of old world craftsmanship “…in the workshops where best grade doubles are made...there you will see grandfathers working at the same bench with their grandsons. They work, quite literally, to the thickness of a layer of smoke.”

It is refreshing to read more and more of a rising appreciation of the .425 on AH and elsewhere on the web. There has also been a few magazine articles over the past couple of years that single out its strengths, and emphasize that those who criticize the calibre do so in ignorance or because they used faulty rifles (especially where some twit had installed the wrong magazine follower that caused feeding problems).

The comments under this recent post on the superb .425 rifle (illustrated above) has sound wisdom and useful links:

http://www.theexplora.com/a-classic-westley-richards-425-take-down-bolt-action-big-game-rifle/

kind regards

Hi Red Leg,

I figure you probably have 37K laying around on the floorboard of your pickup so, today is your lucky day.

As we speak, www.champlinarms.com has a Rigby Rising Bite / Side Lock, in .470 NE, with 26" ejector barrels for $37,000. which is a screaming deal IMO.

The reason for the lower than normal price is no doubt due to the fact that it was re-barreled and re-stocked in England during 2005.

However, judging by the close-up photos, I would not be put off by this apparently proper and professional English restoration, not in the slightest.

Regards,
Velo Dog.

Now that would be nice - I'll check under the mats as well. Usually what I try to do is find a "deal" that needs just a little work. I have a little WWI era 9.3 x 74R that I picked up for a song for 4k. After Turnbul case coloring and "cleaning up the engraving", stock restoration, rings for the claw mounts, new scope, and God only knows how much postage, I now have a 10k investment worth a solid 8.5. What could be better than guns?!

Hi Red Leg
just read the account of Jim Corbett's .450/.400 auctioned from the late Elmer Keith's estate. Fascinating history.

You mention there in passing of 2 Selous rifles now owned by Bill Jones. Do you know, or know who to ask, what has become of Selous' infamous .425 WR?

grateful thanks

Chambeshi

Hi Red Leg
just read the account of Jim Corbett's .450/.400 auctioned from the late Elmer Keith's estate. Fascinating history.

You mention there in passing of 2 Selous rifles now owned by Bill Jones. Do you know, or know who to ask, what has become of Selous' infamous .425 WR?

grateful thanks

Chambeshi

Nope. Haven't a clue.

Red Leg, I know the owner of that particular .425. It will indeed be used on DG! With permission I'll post photos of it on a hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross