Blaser Rifles?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Saul, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Saul

Saul AH Veteran

I was watching Dark and Dangerous with Ivan Carter and one of the clients with him was shooting a Blaser bolt rifle, if you can call it that. They were huntig leopard and I was very impresses with the accuracy from this rifle. So impressed, in fact, that I looked up the rifle and saw them going for around $14,000. While I'm not one to care so much about cost if it is really good, I can't see why I would buy one. I have a Weatherby Mark V that shoots more accurately then me. It also has an insanely strong action and beautiful stock. Does anyone here own a weatherby, and if so, what is your opinion on them. I was looking at the R8 or R93.

2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    I own Weatherby's, my family has owned them for years.
    I do not have any in Weatherby calibers.
    Beautiful wood, craftsmanship, etc.
    Mine are accurate and do the job. That is all I require.

3. Uintaelkhunter

Uintaelkhunter AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    RSA,Mozambique,Zim,USA,Asia
    I have owned a few weatherby's and they where ok rifles. I do own several Blasers and they are all great shooting guns sub MOA with Them the advantage of the Blaser is they are takedown rifles with the ability to switch barrels and calibers. I think your price is a bit off they start around 3k for a synthetic stock and 6k for a wood. A little pricey to start but barrels are about 1k after that if they are in your budget they are good guns can you get a weatherby to shoot great yes most of the weatherby'a I owned did not shoot sub MOA with factory ammo I did have one I 22-250 that did shoot great. I have a Blaser in 257 weatherby that shoots 1/2 MOA or better

4. Mr Free Market

Mr Free Market AH Member

I own 4 Blaser R93s ( .243 / 6.5x55 / .308 / 8x57 ) & 2 Blaser S2s ( .30R & .375 ) and quite simply they just work. Incredible out of the box accuracy, fantastic triggers & once you get used to the straight pull action, unbelievably fast to cycle

Being a left hander, of course it couldn't be easier to change convert from right to left handed; just slip a LH bolt in & job done

Of course the perfect rifle has yet to be built - & Blasers aren't without their (ahem! ) issues, but IMHO if you think a Blaser might work for you, try one out, you mightn't regret it

5. Red Leg

Red Leg GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA DSC life memberships
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique
    I have an S2. Bolt rifle accuracy in a double rifle package.

6. Code4

Code4 AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA, NZ, UK.
    Nothing wrong with R8 Blasers apart from the steep entry price and you do need some time to get used to the bolt operation if you are used to turnbolts (well I did. I couldn't just pick it up and use it). Extremely accurate and versatile and the travel case is worth the outlay as it makes up for a compact piece of kit, if flying.

Buy the R8. You can buy cheap 2nd hand R93's in the UK but not many R8's. Blaser changed the lock up mechanism :rolleyes: for the R8 but won't say why ! Anybody want to guess ?

7. Grady

Grady AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA, IHEA
    Hunted:
    US, Germany, RSA
    I own the R-93 (22-250, 264 Win Mag, 30-06, 300 RUM, 375 H&H) and the F3 Competition Skeet Shotgun (2 Barrels with Briely sub-gauge tubes) and think Blaser is a quality gun. While I was living in Germany, I was fortunate enought to visit the factory for a tour in Isny...Completely impressed! As everyone said, they are sub MOA out of the box. As a reloader, with some work, I was able to get 1/2 MOA in the 30-06, 22-250 and RUM. I am currently working on the 264 and 375. Yes the entry price is a little steep, but well worth the Money. I wish they would have stayed with the R93, they changed the action to accomidate the new magazine design and unfortunately the barrels are not interchangable. Either way, if I were to buy the gun now, which I would!, I would go with the R8, but when I purchased my R93 the R8 was not out yet. The R-93 barrels are available, but the R8 is the way to go but if you find an R93 at a good price, don't pass it up.

8. Mr Free Market

Mr Free Market AH Member

Agreed

9. Code4

Code4 AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA, NZ, UK.
    You need to do some more research on that point. You will be surprised, and not in a nice way.

10. Grumulkin

Grumulkin AH Member

1. They call the Blaser R 93 and R 8 "bolt action" rifles but, as you have apparently deduced, though they look like bolt guns, the way they operate is more like a pump action gun.

2. I'm not sure what rifle you were looking at for $14,000; some cost that much or even more but I've never paid close to that for a Blaser. Also, I've never paid close to $1,000 for an R 93 barrel.

3. Consider that if you buy a traditional new bolt action rifle, many times you will then pay for a trigger job and to have the magazine reworked. You don't have to do that with an R 93. The trigger is perfect out of the box and feeding is perfect. You can take the barrel off, take the scope off and remount them and it will shoot just like it did before which is to say very well. You can also get the rifle in a travel case that falls within airline specifications so don't have to pay extra bagge fees. When you consider all that, they may not seem so expensive. My only complaint about the R 93 is where they put the front sling swivel stud which makes it impossible to mount the usual Harris bipod.

4. In addition to Blasers, I also have a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 378 Weatherby Magnum; no brake by the way. It's beautiful, slim, fairly light and a REAL hammer. The only reason I wouldn't take it to Africa are the baggage fees for oversized baggage I would have to pay if I took it. It is a fantastic gun though.

[​IMG]

My Weatherby seems to shoot OK.

[​IMG]

A pretty sweet shooting low recoil gun.

11. Grady

Grady AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA, IHEA
    Hunted:
    US, Germany, RSA
    Grumulkin, Not sure why you are saying the R-93/R-8 operate like a "pump action gun", my -93 is definately a bolt action and operates like one. Granted, it is a straight pull bolt that is "non-traditional" but is it definately a bolt. When you say it is more like a pump action, the Krieghoff Simpro is the one that comes to mind.

12. Grumulkin

Grumulkin AH Member

Pump action guns and semiautos have bolts but one doesn't have to turn anything to move the bolt back to chamber a fresh round. The R 93 and R 8 both look like bolt action guns but to chamber a new round it's pretty much the same front to back then back to front motion that you would see with a pump or semiauto.

The R 93 and R 8 are called bolt action guns and I'm OK with that.