Blaser BB97 Any thoughts and or experiences ?

Discussion in 'Double Rifles' started by lobo9er, Mar 13, 2014.

1. lobo9er

lobo9er New Member

Hello I'm new to this forum... I'm looking for insight on the Blaser O/U BB97 in either 30-06 or 45-70. Its basically out of my reach to run and buy but I am thinking of letting go of a couple rifles to get into a Double and this one has caught my eye. My use would be Deer and an occasional black bear hunt. As of now its just a thought but possibly may be a reality. so... any info would be great! :) thanks in advance...

2. Red Leg

Red Leg SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA DSC life memberships
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique
    The Blaser BB97 is a fine double rifle and a fairly rare one on this side of the Atlantic. You can get a nearly new used basic model for $4 - 6K in 30-06. I am pretty sure that Blaser doesn't chamber anything at all in 45-70. I believe the BB97 is offered in 9.3x74R in OU double rifle configuration which is a fine load for heavy North American game like bear, and still makes a great woods rifle for deer and elk. Of course the 30-06 isn't real shabby in that role either. Like all modern Blasers, it is easily scoped with their detachable mount.

3. lobo9er

lobo9er New Member

Yep your right I got my wires crossed on a sabatti 45-70 I saw on gunbroker. But from what I have read about sabatti leads me to believe unless I can handle it and inspect it in person it isnt worth the possible headache. and even then... If I buy something like this I would like to buy once and cry once.

4. Red Leg

Red Leg SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA DSC life memberships
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique
    Blaser and Sabatti are very different things.

5. rnovi

rnovi AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, more I'm sure to come
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Texas, Alaska - hey, they count. Trust me!
    The Blaser is a fine instrument - if you like an over/under built on a 20ga action.

Personally, I prefer a 28ga action for a small double. They just feel better to me.